Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Non-paying ebay buyers?

bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone dealt with an ebay buyer not paying? What did you do and what was the outcome?
In short, had an auction end sunday. I know ebay sends an automated email letting buyer know they won and need to pay. Tuesday, I send a nice email reminding buyer to pay. Still have not heard from buyer or payment.

Comments

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 10:00AM

@tincup said:
    I've had a few. I usually give them one week. After 5 days, I send a reminder I have not been paid; and as soon as payment is made, I will send the item. Then, after another two days or so, if no response or payment.... I report to ebay.

BUT... I think all that ebay does is let you cancel the auction; and they relist the item for you. Easy... but I do not know about any repercussions for the so called buyer; not sure ebay gives them any dings, etc. I do put the so called buyer on my banned list, so they cannot bid on any other auctions of mine.

EBay gives them a "strike". They will get a time out after excessive strikes. But I only know one person who ever claimed that happened to them.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

All you can do is block 'em and move on.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had this happen several times and usually a off the wall reason comes up and they pay, but once they did not and ebay stepped in and they told ebay that they had made a 3 coin offer, which was accepted, in error, even though they requested all three coins as coins they needed but didn't have the money for my price. So it happens. Bear with it and hopefully all will work out. Best of luck, Bobby.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I normally wait until the weekend, you know payday. Hopefully it works out for you.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happens, thankfully infrequently.

Check to see if the winner is also a seller. Some unscrupulous sellers will buy and bid up items that compete with their inventoried items to get them out of buyers' view or to establish recent sales to get buyers of their items. If there is a game to be played, there are players on eBay.

• Options

@alefzero said:
    It happens, thankfully infrequently.

Check to see if the winner is also a seller. Some unscrupulous sellers will buy and bid up items that compete with their inventoried items to get them out of buyers' view or to establish recent sales to get buyers of their items. If there is a game to be played, there are players on eBay.

His feedback is low, but positive. Looks like mainly a buyer with good payment history. I will give it til the weekend anyway. He may be in a position that stops/slows his inability to communicate and or pay right now. We'll see.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found those who bid, win, and do not pay , lack common decency and do not abide by rules. Period. They typically never use the message system and correspondences usually go nowhere. Ghosts ghosting, is my perception.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had two of these in the last two or so months; just gumming up the works with no intention to buy, they're insulting honest sellers with their antics.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 4:15PM

I give 5 days. If the buyer e-mails me and requests a couple extra days, that is fine, and then they usually pay. I actually cannot remember the last time I canceled an auction for a NPB - has to be at least 10 years ago.

Sometimes buyers have cash flow timing issues, so I don't get too worried if it is only day 3, and ebay does require sellers to give a minimum of 4 days.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have the patience nor the time to deal with dead beats. I let ebay handle that for me. That's an option available for sellers. In addition, my parameters does not allow dead beats with 2 npb strikes against them from bidding in my auctions.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭

An interesting tangential weirdness thing happened to me this past Sunday. After winning an auction I was put on a timer of one hour to pay manually or my saved payment method(s) would be automatically charged. I was like wtf?

I did some quick research and apparently it’s a new thing being rolled out. Initially it was put upon frequent NPBs. Now, it’s seemingly random. Almost 200 transactions and never an NPB. I’ve made almost a dozen purchases in May alone without any issues.

I’ve always paid immediately or shortly thereafter. In this particular situation the seller had a BIN coin I was also interested in and I wanted to combine shipping. I didn’t do his BIN immediately because I had already placed a bid on a different sellers auction ending 2 days later for virtually the same coin, (modern). I wanted to see how it panned out. Nothing unseemly. Seller stated five days to pay. If I lost the auction the BIN was a solid backup.

Well, since this autopay weirdness foreclosed the option to save on shipping it foreclosed the option to do a BIN. Point is, it looks like NPBs might finally be addressed. However, there’s been a lot of negative side effects impacting business from honest folks too.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay changed some stuff via phone app.
    I went to bid on a few coins and the message popped up that if I were to win the payment would automatically be made through PayPal.
    I didn't want to pay that way so I messaged the seller and told them eBay change is costing them money.
    There was no way to contact eBay with the issue or my question.
    I later got on a computer and didn't have any trouble putting in a few bids.
    eBay in their infinite wisdom is here to HELP you...not so much.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 6:38PM

I know that if you do a best offer they want you to chose the method of payment before you can proceed with the offer, then if the offer is accepted they charge the medthod of payment you choose.

• Options

@rte592 said:
    eBay changed some stuff via phone app.
    I went to bid on a few coins and the message popped up that if I were to win the payment would automatically be made through PayPal.
    I didn't want to pay that way so I messaged the seller and told them eBay change is costing them money.
    There was no way to contact eBay with the issue or my question.
    I later got on a computer and didn't have any trouble putting in a few bids.
    eBay in their infinite wisdom is here to HELP you...not so much.

Actually, I think instant payment is a seller option

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 7:31PM

This is common when using the make an offer option. eBay will tell you that by agreeing to submitting an offer that if the buyer accepts, ebay will automatically charge your PayPal account. Once you allow this, they will automatically charge your account on ANY auction won, now or in the future.
    This will cost the buyer by not allowing them to take advantage of sellers offering shipping discounts on multiple items won over short periods of time. This is why if I want to make an offer on an item, I contact the seller directly and pitch my offer to them and explain to the seller that I will not allow eBay direct access to my PayPal account.
    It does hinder many buyers from making offers.
    They also like to have direct access when you pay thru PayPal by saying
    “We recognize this device” and will save you time without you having to sign in you account yourself. Time Saver according to them.
    My as*. I have to log into my account to remove this option every time and can only do so when I get an email from PayPal saying to click on this link to remove this function, and yes, I need to re-log back in to execute the the removal and then log out.
    I do not trust them.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Actually, I think instant payment is a seller option

You’re completely right in that sellers can toggle it on. However, eBay has taken it a step forward and is now mandating it for some auction buyer/winner accounts, but not even always.

A lot of sellers were complaining online that they couldn’t stop it. I guess there’s a lot of buyers who like to bid and win auctions on Wednesdays and Thursdays with the expectation of paying on Fridays when their direct deposits roll in. Now they’re seeing a precipitous drop off in their Wed and Thurs sales.

In my case I’d be surprised the seller had the option toggled on as they clearly noted a five day payment window in all their auction listings. I mean, I totally get it for BIN items, but auctions where the seller has items spread out over several days and allows combined shipping?? The left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing….. Funniest part is eBay repeatedly stating how this new process is to make it “easier” for you, the winner/buyer. 🤦‍♂️

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options

I haven't bought much on ebay lately, but the last time I put a bid on something and won it, I'm almost sure ebay deducted my payment from my account automatically. I use to get an email stating I've won and need to pay.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2024 4:46AM

@OPA said:
    I don't have the patience nor the time to deal with dead beats. I let ebay handle that for me. That's an option available for sellers. In addition, my parameters does not allow dead beats with 2 npb strikes against them from bidding in my auctions.

That's a great way to get rid of underbidders IMO, especially those that bid on hundreds of coin auctions.

• Options

@Connecticoin said:

@OPA said:

That's a great way to get rid of underbidders IMO, especially those that bid on hundreds of coin auctions.

You really think a non-payer is running up a lot of auctions? They don't pay. Why would they be bidding on a bunch of stuff? They want to not pay more frequently?

• Options

What puzzles me is the buyer only has 23 FB, but all are within 6 months and all are positive as a good buyer.
    Still no communication since Sunday.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had one recently who won several lots over a span of 6-8 weeks. Started out as a regular buyer, then started asking for more time, then finally no payments.

Finally had to block them and move on.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@mbogoman said:
    After two days, I send an invoice. If I've had no communications from the buyer, at 4 days Ebay's automatic NPB system takes over. I don't have the time to deal with deadbeats, I just let the software do the work.

Well ebay claims to let the buyer know to pay at 24 hrs and 48 hrs. I sent my only message after 48 hrs. If this falls thru, I'm at least hoping the 2nd highest bidder will accept a second chance offer. Lol I've been on ebay for at least 25 yrs and never had a non-payer. Guess I've been pretty lucky. Lol

• Options

@bsshog40 said:
    What puzzles me is the buyer only has 23 FB, but all are within 6 months and all are positive as a good buyer.

You can't leave negative feedback for a buyer. And unless you want to leave negative positive feedback, non-transactions simply won't register.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@bsshog40 said:

You can't leave negative feedback for a buyer. And unless you want to leave negative positive feedback, non-transactions simply won't register.

Good to know. Thanks

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Cancel and move on. EBay allows you to cancel after 4 days. After 2 days I send a reminder. At 4 days +1 minute, I cancel and block them.

No big deal.

Me too, except I wait until day three to send the reminder. I will allow a buyer more time if they ask for it but 2 days after they say they will pay they are blocked if payment hasn't been received.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Connecticoin said:

@OPA said:

You really think a non-payer is running up a lot of auctions? They don't pay. Why would they be bidding on a bunch of stuff? They want to not pay more frequently?

I am referring more to slow payers, not non-payers. I have had a few slow payers become repeat customers (and become fast payers).

• Options

@Connecticoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Connecticoin said:

@OPA said:

I am referring more to slow payers, not non-payers. I have had a few slow payers become repeat customers (and become fast payers).

Slow is fine, as long as they communicate. The ones that don't respond and don't pay are instant blocks for me.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Cancel and move on. EBay allows you to cancel after 4 days. After 2 days I send a reminder. At 4 days +1 minute, I cancel and block them.

No big deal.

Me too, except I wait until day three to send the reminder. I will allow a buyer more time if they ask for it but 2 days after they say they will pay they are blocked if payment hasn't been received.

If they don't pay how about posting their Ebay username here, they will get blocked from more auctions that just yours.

• Options
    Iceman6628Iceman6628 Posts: 16 ✭✭

In my experience, eBayers pay right away or they don't pay at all. You can have orders canceled automatically if they don't pay within so many days.

• Options

@Iceman6628 said:
    In my experience, eBayers pay right away or they don't pay at all. You can have orders canceled automatically if they don't pay within so many days.

That's not true. MOST buyers pay immediately. But it is quite common for a day or two to lapse before they pay.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most customers pay fairly quickly, I got a few that pay so fast , its instantaneous it seems, others fairly quickly, then I have some including repeat customers that are very slow, sometimes waiting till the 4th day before they pay.
    I also have had an increase in non payers lately. Any non payers who do not communicate, I just block and move on.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read somewhere that although you can't leave a buyer a negative, you can leave a neutral and then write up that they were a late/no payer and do not use. Anyone confirm this or disavow it?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    I read somewhere that although you can't leave a buyer a negative, you can leave a neutral and then write up that they were a late/no payer and do not use. Anyone confirm this or disavow it?
    Jim

This was the only option I had to leave feedback after I cancelled for non-pay Jim.

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

No. You can only leave positive. You can write something negative, but no one will see it unless they read all the feedback.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file