Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your first coin or cornerstone that started you toward Series Collecting?

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a type collector before becoming a series collector. My thinking was "why not do just type since this will have endless variety?" Makes sense. However, this eventually led me to being faced with collecting certain type coins I had no interest in owning.

So, as opportunity presented itself with various buying decisions, I considered which coins could be cornerstones that fit my interests and could be a series I'd like to pursue. This is not to say that I've abandoned type collecting all together, just that series collecting was now more attractive (for example, I still love my early type copper collection).

I'm so glad I made the switch. I decided on a classic series (AU seated halves - oh gawd what a challenge and expensive), a gold series (indian quarter eagles in OGH w/CAC - much shorter series even if few are available with my restrictions), and a modern series (colorful proof washington quarters through 1998- plenty available, but must be super colorful).

With that introduction describe your first coin or the cornerstone of the series you are collecting and provide a picture if you have one. I'll start with my crazy 1963 quarter that sent me down a (dubious?) path that I thought I'd never take:

Link to registry set:

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/326152

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

To be honest box of 20 is the most liberating. You choose your own set.

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog: love the coin & your label…..

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

The "Continental coin store", small shop in Montgomery, Alabama. My dad was looking for greater fare, but as an 8 or 9 year old kid weeding through the 30 cent to a dollar bin for indian head pennies, I was in heaven.

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just started collecting Trade Dollars and I decided I wanted just one that was chopmarked. I purchased this one raw for about $75 and never looked back...

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    My first really beautiful Lincoln Cent that I bought back in 2011 ... MS67BN

Eventually led to this collection ....

What a story and accomplishment!!!!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

1756 Peru 1/2R in an old ANACS AU-58 holder in 2003. Became my primary series in 2010 and still is now.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭

I own 2 coins I consider cornerstone coins.
    I was a child in the sixty's when my Oma gave me a large number of copper coins Lincoln/Indian cent but only one silver coin. A Standing liberty Quarter that is worn bare but can be identified as a type 3. My first serious collection where I didn't just add coins from commerce but paid for actual coins was a Standing set. Ironically the only coin i still own is the coin from my Oma.
    The second coin I consider a cornerstone is an 1840-O Seated Half dollar with Med O mintmark. I got the Breen Encyclopedia as a Christmas gift in the mid 1990-s. I spent at least two years looking through it and studying various coins before I decided to build a date set of Seated Halves.
    I still own this coin. It is in a dark blue ANAC holder graded EF 40 and labeled as BREEN 4751.
    This is of course not the rare no mintmark coin but it is the first coin I ever cherry picked by something like mintmark size. I ended up slabbing several dozen Seated Half dollar varieties by Breen numbers because the Wiley Bugert book was unavailable at that time. Some of the best fun I have ever had as a coin collector. James

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2024 10:52AM

Great coin! Larry Whitlow is deserving of his Legend status.

@Eldorado9

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful CBD @EastonCollection

Here’s my first CBH I ever bought, back in 2007, bought it raw from someone off the message boards. Still have it.

Dave

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2024 9:46AM

Like a lot of youngsters, I started off with Whitman Blue folders of Lincon Cents and Jefferson Nickels. Both remain incomplete.
    Then I moved on to Liberty Head Nickels...again incomplete. I still have these three folders/albums. I grew tired of the same design and moved on to Type collecting.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file