Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Look what I got this week, 1881 CC Morgan - Anyone care to Guess the Grade?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2024 5:15AM

MS62. Just not there for me for 63

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see I need to take worse photos... you guys are strict! :#

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:

“Worse photos” or better ones? Either way, we can only go by what we see. The coin looks like a 63 to me, though based on your post, it sounds like it graded higher.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would call it a 63.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Meltdown said:

“Worse photos” or better ones? Either way, we can only go by what we see. The coin looks like a 63 to me, though based on your post, it sounds like it graded higher.

One of those... my problem is the previous posts are pretty accurate. It's graded a 62 but in hand I like it as a 63+.
    My pics show off the nicks & ticks pretty well, so I guess it is about what it says on the slab. :/

• Options
    edited May 27, 2024 5:56AM

Well, here you go. You guys got me. It's got some schmuck on the obverse, It would really benefit from an acetone bath.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got here late, but would have guessed 63 due to the face being so marked and no higher.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like I'm late also but would've went with 62, borderline 63.

• Options

Yeah, I'm not one to drag out the guess the grade fun... It annoys me when I look through others and 3 pages later, still no grade posted.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely generation 3 holder, and a nice coin. I think NGC got this one perfectly at MS62 but CC Morgans tend to get some leeway in the grading room and I would not have been surprised at MS63.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2024 7:22AM

@coinbuf said:
    Lovely generation 3 holder, and a nice coin. I think NGC got this one perfectly at MS62 but CC Morgans tend to get some leeway in the grading room and I would not have been surprised at MS63.

That's exactly my thinking... yesterdays accurate grade gave way to today's generous 1 point extra on CC Morgans. A gold CAC sticker would match that reverse hologram nicely. I might just give it a shot.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd send it to cac. A totally original Unc. with typical bag marks.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has great strike detail and eye appeal. The chatter lends to its originality. I can see an upgrade by a point.( if I close one eye ).

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2024 7:32AM

The coin is fine as it is. And it should stay that way. The spread between grades at this level for this date is not really worth the effort.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have said MS-63. As an MS-62, if you got it for that price, it was a really good buy.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too thought 63.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2024 7:41AM

If I'm not careful, I may have to collect the whole run. I've now got the 78, 81, 84, 85 & 90.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have guessed 63. Nice fatty pickup!

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice NGC 3.0, coin is nice too. Would 63 today, but sells for 63 money in that holder as is, I bet.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice 62

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

Really nice coin, seems like a lock 63 today. With that said, it would only gold bean if JA and co see it as 63+ or higher. Undoubtedly deserving of the green without question.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice one incl the holder

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin and I love that slab!

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the coin is no better than a 62, and even at that I think it only has about a 2/3 chance of a green cac sticker. Sorry but this a pass coin for me.

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

It's in an older NGC holder. Would probably grade MS63 today imo.

• Options

I appreciate all the comments. I will send it to CAC and let you all know how ot turns out.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting the CC Morgan date set is a decent project. Before you start using resources, develop an understanding of the series and establish expectations that are reasonable. Before you send the 1881-cc off to CAC, take a moment and think about the resources and whether those resources would be better utilized to obtain the objective of completing a CC M set. The 81-cc you have is fine... and they are easily obtainable at the 62-63-64 and 65 level. A sticker is nice for those that need it... but it is not needed at this grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2024 3:03PM

I put 62 (above). I don’t know if dipping would get the black stuff off / working it w dip soaked q tip might help. I would not waste money on trying work with it or sticker with it. The coin is not PQ lol. No sticker is going to overcome the dark toning. It’s a C coin. Don’t see it stickering. I would blow it out on the bay, record the loss in the sales journal, put that money somewhere else. Stay away from the darkly tarnished toners (ugly coins). They get worse over time.

From a contact mark basis it’s a 62 anyway imo. X mark on cheek. Face really scuffy. Put the money in a slabbed MS69 2024 1oz Britannia. Sold a bunch of them at recent show.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have guessed 63. Good luck with CAC!

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Collecting the CC Morgan date set is a decent project. Before you start using resources, develop an understanding of the series and establish expectations that are reasonable. Before you send the 1881-cc off to CAC, take a moment and think about the resources and whether those resources would be better utilized to obtain the objective of completing a CC M set. The 81-cc you have is fine... and they are easily obtainable at the 62-63-64 and 65 level. A sticker is nice for those that need it... but it is not needed at this grade.

+1.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

62/63

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:

Somehow I think spending one hundred dollars trying to sticker the coin will not adversely affect the OPs ability to complete a CC Morgan set. Send the coin to CAC if you so desire.

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    Well, here you go. You guys got me. It's got some schmuck on the obverse, It would really benefit from an acetone bath.

EXCELLENT!!! In a NO LINE FATTIE with the NGC LOGO in FULL on the back!! "MONEY COIN" all around!

TC71

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file