Home U.S. Coin Forum

This Morgan dollar Has Me Intrigued. (I am not sure what to make of it.)

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 9, 2024 2:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Your thoughts?
NGC called in "Atrifical Toning" on the insert.
Instinctively, I want to call it PMD.

Edited to include:
Not my coin.

peacockcoins

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2024 5:13PM

Whizzed?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like she's been scooted across some 100-grit sandpaper.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    Whizzed?

I don't believe so.

@IkesT said:
    Planchet striations.

I thought that was a possibility, especially as there are no lines running through the LIBERTY on the headband...

peacockcoins

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do a search for “drawing bench” to save me having type out the explanation again.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Looks like a leave that thing alone, and let the next fella try to figure it out Pat.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

those lines look pre-strike to me

are you sure the coin is not ALSO artificially toned?

if it is not really expensive, might be cool to examine in hand ($50 yes ... $550 no)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the striation lines were on the planchet before the strike which means there was debris on the draw bench gate. Ipso facto, defective planchet? Was a draw bench still in use in SF in 1902?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

@Namvet69 said:
    So the striation lines were on the planchet before the strike which means there was debris on the draw bench gate. Ipso facto, defective planchet? Was a draw bench still in use in SF in 1902?

I would say that this coin proves that it was.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2024 7:20AM

Wow, those are severe. Pity it's on a better date and not something common, because there'd probably be a coolness premium on a common date. NGC's AT designation is independent of the striations.

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    Planchet striations.

Severe. Perhaps the most severe I have even seen.

When in doubt, don't.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like roller marks from the minting process. These are sometimes seen on Reeded Edge half dollars, as well, with some die marriages having them more than others. Here is one of mine. It's a PCGS AU55 in an OGH with a gold CAC sticker-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

As I said these used to be called "roller marks," but the roller would have to have multiple RAISED lines completely around the entire circumference of the roller to leave continuous parallel depressed lines across one side of the planchet, and what could cause lines to raise up on a hardened steel roller? And sometimes both sides?

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1902-S is one of the dates known for sometimes having those. That one seems more extensive than most. Not sure why some years were more likely than other years.

Here is what is quoted on PCGS CoinFacts from Q. David Bowers in the "Silver Dollars & Trade Dollars of the United States: A Complete Encyclopedia"

"Some pieces show parallel striae on the planchet, a vestige of the drawing bench operation prior to coinage."

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1902-s-1/7282

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. What an educational thread! Even an old fart like me can learn something new on any given day!!

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Yep. Great info. I've seen this on a few of my Morgans and always wondered. Apparently the planchets didn't get inspected or a few snuck through. I would think the striations would stand out.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

@PapiNE said:
    Yep. Great info. I've seen this on a few of my Morgans and always wondered. Apparently the planchets didn't get inspected or a few snuck through. I would think the striations would stand out.

As long as the planchets were within the tolerance ranges for weight and fineness, the striations did not matter.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Planchet striations inherited from the strip after the draw bench. As minted.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is an interesting Large Cent.
    (Obviously altered.)

peacockcoins

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1853 sure has been through the mill. Just not at the mint.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the kind of isoteric stuff I like. Pretty cool.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of reminds me of 'correction' marks as so often seen on bust dollars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file