Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Retained Cud Shattered Dies Variety Thread

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 23, 2024 6:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's my Wilma Mankiller quarter, which looks to be an intermediate die state, at least based on the size of the die crack on the reverse, which extends into the star, but doesn't go beyond it.

Just ran across this one offered for $3200! This looks to be a late die state based on the reverse die crack, which extends well beyond the star.

Here's another one I ran across, which seems to be even earlier die state than mine. This one looks like it has something else going on with it like it's been struck-through grease or something.

There’s some good variety on these.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 9:10AM

I have a MS65 example.

Was very picky as I went through several dozen offers before I settled on it. Some sellers of these 22P had multiples. Most of these seem mishandled AU or low baggy MS on fleabay. After five months I stopped doing my hourly & daily searches once I got this already slabbed terminal die state example. Haven't performed my search for these many months now.

Over a short period of time, 5 months, I've seen way more than "ten" terminal die states offered.

I still cannot figure out how to post TrueView but here's my cert link to an external site: PCGS.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/47687008

Happy Shopping !

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Mr Lindy said:
    I have a MS65 example.

Was very picky as I went through several dozen offers before I settled on it. Some sellers of these 22P had multiples. Most of these seem mishandled AU or low baggy MS on fleabay. After five months I stopped doing my hourly & daily searches once I got this already slabbed terminal die state example. Haven't performed my search for these many months now.

Over a short period of time, 5 months, I've seen way more than "ten" terminal die states offered.

I still cannot figure out how to post TrueView but here's my cert link to an external site: PCGS.

Happy Shopping !

@yosclimber said:

Very nice specimen @Mr Lindy ! It's good to be choosey on these because there's a selection available.

I got mine because of the color, which is very unusual on these.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 12:32AM

Here's another specimen:

Slab photos from micryl85:355672737786

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 12:33AM

Here's a 2021 cent:

Slab photos from: elopcoins:395292952086

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread!

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Cool thread!

Thanks! These are really cool coins!

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 5:08AM
  • Options

Here's an interesting USPI coin:

US/Philippines 1945-S Fifty Centavos (Retained CUD - Bar 9 Variety) PCGS MS 66

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1945-s-50c/90376/4385406997560621783

• Options
    edited May 5, 2024 5:20AM

There's a spectacular circular die crack on the 1922-D Peace Dollar V-2A Retained Die Break Variety:

• Options
    BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 244 ✭✭✭✭

Cud coins are interesting (and popular) in the capped bust half dimes. Here's an 1832 LM-10.4. The big reverse cud causes some problems on the obverse strike-up, hence the very weak date.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    There's a spectacular circular die crack on the 1922-D Peace Dollar V-2A Retained Die Break Variety:

I do see a die crack or too but no retained die break is noticeable imo

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited May 6, 2024 5:08AM

@RobertScotLover said:

@Zoins said:

I do see a die crack or too but no retained die break is noticeable imo

The entire center of the obverse may be the retained die break.

This is what PCGS calls it:

• Options
    edited May 6, 2024 5:26AM

@Bikergeek said:
    Cud coins are interesting (and popular) in the capped bust half dimes. Here's an 1832 LM-10.4. The big reverse cud causes some problems on the obverse strike-up, hence the very weak date.

That's a very nice cud @Bikergeek ! Thanks for posting it and making a note about the date on the obverse as well :+1:

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2024 6:58AM

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if it's a retained cud but it's a cud.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

A shattered die retained cud? I just picked up; an 1866 shield nickel. Multiple sections/pieces!

----- kj
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an 1891o dime with a shattered rev die and a large (for a dime) retained cud. I’ll post a pic when I get home

• Options

@SullivanNumismatics - So Jon, what's your personal and professional opinion on how it found it's way out on the mint?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2024 6:44AM

@OAKSTAR said:
    I don't know if it's a retained cud but it's a cud.

Not retained as there is no design. That chunk of the die was missing. ;)

• Options
    SullivanNumismaticsSullivanNumismatics Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    @SullivanNumismatics - So Jon, what's your personal and professional opinion on how it found it's way out on the mint?

Without "having been there", there's no way to know. It may have shown up in a bag, or could've been taken out of the Mint, or may have been from a counting house--we'll likely never know.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2024 7:52AM

@SullivanNumismatics said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Without "having been there", there's no way to know. It may have shown up in a bag, or could've been taken out of the Mint, or may have been from a counting house--we'll likely never know.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks very much for that Jon.

So when you get your hands on something like this or have the opportunity to purchase these major mint errors, are you asking the sellers how they acquired them and attempting to trace/track it's path and origin or history?

• Options

Thanks @JBK! 👍🏻

• Options
    SullivanNumismaticsSullivanNumismatics Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2024 9:16AM

@OAKSTAR said:

@SullivanNumismatics said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks very much for that Jon.

So when you get your hands on something like this or have the opportunity to purchase these major mint errors, are you asking the sellers how they acquired them and attempting to trace/track it's path and origin or history?

All reputable coins dealers do their best to make sure that the coins they are buying are legal to own--not stolen, or otherwise illegal. So yes, in that same spirit, you try to make sure the coin is legal to own.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Are we limited to only retained cuds or are full cuds allowed? 1835 JR-2

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ultimate shattered die.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options

Thanks Jon!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr Lindy said:
    I have a MS65 example.

Happy Shopping !

That the population has reached a "critical mass" gives it broader market appeal. People will want one because they know there are enough for them to eventually acquire one. Sort of like the 88-O Scarface Morgan. Personally, if I were to acquire one of this series for a type set, this would be it.

• Options
    manlye1manlye1 Posts: 210 ✭✭✭

1825 B3 quarter with retained cud

• Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

@Southcounty said:
    Are we limited to only retained cuds or are full cuds allowed? 1835 JR-2

I don't know these to well, but isn't that a retained cud?

That is certainly my definition of one, I asked the question before I was going to post some nice full cuds.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USA240 great pair! Did you find them together?

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a 1972-D Jefferson Nickel. I lost the obverse picture, but the reverse is where the action is:

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few from the vault.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine:

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:
    Mine:

Believe this one is a contemporary counterfeit. Still pretty cool.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse cud; only one I’ve ever seen on a 1878 IHC. There must be others?

Obvious impression on the ED in UNITED on the obv side.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file