Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How is your 2024 coin budget going?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Kind of buried right now. I made a big purchase in March. It was something I have kicked myself for not buying for over ten years!

1801 Thomas Jefferson inaugural medal in silver. Estimated population 12 in silver, 4 or 5 in White medal.

The dies were made by John Reich.

Very interesting; but, how do you put a value on something so exotic?

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not doing too bad considering it’s December…..oh wait

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@BillJones said:

Kind of buried right now. I made a big purchase in March. It was something I have kicked myself for not buying for over ten years!

1801 Thomas Jefferson inaugural medal in silver. Estimated population 12 in silver, 4 or 5 in White medal.

The dies were made by John Reich.

Very interesting; but, how do you put a value on something so exotic?

You look at previous auction results. Sometimes you just gulp and pay if you want it bad enough.

Earlier this year one that was also in a PCGS MS-62 holder sold for quite a bit more. Some collectors would find the higher priced piece more attractive. The higher priced one didn’t have the dark toning spots, but it did have a colorful toning sheen that I have noted which sometimes forms on silver items that have been dipped. Sometimes it’s attractive; sometimes I don’t care for it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to refer to it as , my cap space. This should sum it up.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a budget. It is a hole I try to fill, and I keep digging it deeper.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still plenty of dry powder, hoping to use some at Summer FUN if the right coins are there.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@MrEureka said:
    My 2024 budget got spent in 2023. Now spending 2025 money.

Only one year "in the hole?" That's exemplary financial restraint.

I hope readers realize what a rarity and highly sought after coin Barberian acquired. It's the holy grail of seated half collectors.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

SHOT / BLOWN / WIPED OUT...cant resist me some PL/ DMPL Morgans!!!!!

TC71

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭

well last night I found out a small loan I made in July of 22 is being repaid so let the games begin! James

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a fixed budget. I limit my spending to what's left over after paying my living expenses and covering my savings goals.

I also limit my spending to avoid getting too high of an asset allocation since I don't buy coins as "investments". I've passed on some coins I could have "afforded" in the past for this reason, some I have regretted but mostly not.

I have bought about half a dozen coins so far this year, but nothing of particular significance.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2024 9:15AM

Taxes were not as high as expected so I may be able to add 1 coin per month (not expensive coins but coins I need never the less) for the rest of 2024 that makes me happy. Or a better graded coin every 2 months.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Not as good as I’d like unfortunately. The family economy is hurting under my roof.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2024 3:08PM

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Barberian said:

@Catbert said:

@Barberian said:

@MrEureka said:
    My 2024 budget got spent in 2023. Now spending 2025 money.

Only one year "in the hole?" That's exemplary financial restraint.

I hope readers realize what a rarity and highly sought after coin Barberian acquired. It's the holy grail of seated half collectors.

The "girlfriend tax" to maintain peace was almost 20% of the purchase price, on top of the purchase price. That's 2-3 years of coin purchases alone. I now must sell coins to purchase more coins.

Solo life and hobbies ah the peace!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 210 ✭✭✭

Budget? Oh, that.
    I would characterize it in a word as blown, shot, or kaput.
    So I had to double it. ;)

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

'78 S !!!Wow!!

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    So far, so good.

Budget is zero.

Right on track.......

Same here and I have 100% of it unspent.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't spend what I don't have (not going there).

Our E-Bay store is at it's slowest point since 2019. The only positive I can say is that we are only spending $21/mo to stay open. Haven't sold a slabbed $20 gold since February. Not great since that's all we offer.
    Selling generics ($20's) on E-Bay, paying the 9% fee isn't currently in vogue. Thus, we pulled all generics from the store. If there are no spreads we're not going to waste the effort packing and shipping to net less than what we would pay for a given coin. . We are Buying some graded 63-65 Saints when the price fits.

When we hit our limit (not very large) , we'll probably start financing the purchases by selling modern 1 oz eagles to a dealer. Thus, we do have ways to build the budget back.

WE opened the store to sell excess inventory.
    Given our lack of expertise, the store should have done little more than accomplish our original goal. Instead we got a bit lucky in our timing. In essence we became the proverbial blind squirrel .

everyone knows that even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while. For a short period of time, we found the nut.

Should I be insulted that my wife said that to me years ago?

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 210 ✭✭✭

@jkrk

Sales do have seemed to have fallen off a cliff recently at EBay for me, the only stuff moving is inexpensive slabbed Lincolns and Jeffersons, which mostly are just old generations of stuff I replaced long ago in my upgrading. The $50-100 transactions remain, but from three months ago nicer Walkers, Morgans, Peace, and the like slowed greatly. It fits the narrative that while higher end auctions are still selling stuff, the average collector is getting slammed by inflation and job anxiety IMO.

I just packed up a couple dozen nicer coins and sent them to GC. Fortunately, they are all coins that I've had for a long time so have little in them but they are right in the GC niche -- for example a F15 1920 no D SR Lincoln that I actually found years ago searching raw coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file