Home U.S. Coin Forum

Seated half inquiry

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2024 11:03AM in U.S. Coin Forum

A local fellow called me on this Seated 50c that he thinks could be the rare variety, the 1853-o, no arrows at date. It's been in his family a long time. He's been checking around to get to the bottom of this. Is this worth submitting in case it is rare?

Comments

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinfacts lists the mintage as 4, and states all 4 examples are known (pcgs pop shows the 4 in different grades). This is not my series, but do you think it’s possible more than the 4 actually exist? Might have a tough time proving that to pcgs if submitted.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    Coinfacts lists the mintage as 4, and states all 4 examples are known (pcgs pop shows the 4 in different grades). This is not my series, but do you think it’s possible more than the 4 actually exist? Might have a tough time proving that to pcgs if submitted.

That's why I recommended he do a low cost submission to Anacs; though the date is a ambiguous, their numismatists would be able to make a determination, even a worn example could be identified by weight very likely.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quick check shows the mm position doesn't match.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2024 11:12AM

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    A quick check shows the mm position doesn't match.

Yea, they’re all supposed to be from the same die pair and the CoinFacts examples all show more distance between the MM and the olive branch.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

He had a bunch of people look at it who thought the "185*" may be an "8" without certitude.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2024 12:01PM

@logger7 said:

@1madman said:

That's why I recommended he do a low cost submission to Anacs; though the date is a ambiguous, their numismatists would be able to make a determination, even a worn example could be identified by weight very likely.

By weight? Don't you mean specific gravity? Although,
    even then, aren't there other dates?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if you go by the mint mark position, I think that the legitimate TPGs would decline to grade or certify it. I saw this once with an "1856 Flying Eagle Cent" which had a big mark through the date. Although there are diagnostics, the mark made the determination impossible.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others said, the mintmark position is wrong for an 1853-O No Arrows or Rays half dollar.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Thanks for the professionals here which should be enough. The gentleman had gotten opinions from a number of people on this, friends and pawn shops.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file