Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS Priority Box Delivered “Open” UPDATE

Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 11, 2024 7:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Had a fun little Friday. Was expecting a nice coin in the mail from @Davidk7 that fit into my redbook set.

Went to the mailbox annnnd……

These things happen and it was insured. Looks too perfect to have been from an “accident” but we’ll see. The main point of this post is if you see this coin anywhere, please notify me.

1820/19 sq. Base 2 PCGS AU55

Just for anyone wondering, the seller was fully refunded earlier this week by pirate ship (private insurance)

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

Comments

• Options
    ToreyTorey Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

How disappointing. Beautiful bust, will keep an eye out for it.

Also might consider blocking out those 2 addresses.

Torey

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a shame. I have heard multiple dealers claim that the small flat rate boxes have a higher rate of theft.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    What a shame. I have heard multiple dealers claim that the small flat rate boxes have a higher rate of theft.

That’s interesting. Any idea why?

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

I’ve commented on this before…the small flat rate boxes are being ripped off. Use them only if put inside a USPS mailer bag or large box.

• Options
    CoinbertCoinbert Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

I now tape all corners and edges with reinforced shipping tape whether it is a large express box or a small priority box. I have received several express mail shipments that were obviously abused on purpose. I call it the accidental stomping technique. Without the tape the contents would not have arrived in the boxes.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

A small box can be slipped into a jacket even with cameras and a $50 postage on the label tells everyone small, higher value item is being shipped.
    Anything over a few thousand dollars I put a small flat rate box in a medium flat rate, and OCD me, I prefer a kiosk over telling a clerk I want $5,000 insurance.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found the below (Email answer...) from a thread but several years old. But yes notify pcgs.
    Also don't forget the Num. Crime Info Center (also below).

https://numismaticcrimes.org

Email Answer from PCGS

We would need the Police Report and other information to flag the certs as Stolen in our database. On Cert Verification, the Cert would not be available to view, it would not state that it was a stolen coin. I would recommend not buying coins that cannot be verified on our Verification page. There could be a number of reasons that a cert cannot be verified, being stolen would be one of these.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@PhillyJoe said:

@Pnies20 said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

A small box can be slipped into a jacket even with cameras and a $50 postage on the label tells everyone small, higher value item is being shipped.
    Anything over a few thousand dollars I put a small flat rate box in a medium flat rate, and OCD me, I prefer a kiosk over telling a clerk I want $5,000 insurance.

I am the same regarding insurance.

This particular one was privately insured.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhillyJoe said:

@Pnies20 said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

If using USPS.com, you can do it all from home AND it gives you the option to not show the postage amount. I do this every time.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

MyCollect has a "Report Stolen" link on the left side of the page. That may be a good idea for this one.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting how the tracking provided states the USPS hasn't received the package yet. I'd worry they would somehow
    make a claim against the insurance.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    It's interesting how the tracking provided states the USPS hasn't received the package yet. I'd worry they would somehow

For their sake, I hope not, but I could see the argument. Even if it is outlandish.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago. Obvious theft while package in the custody of USPS. Thoroughly disgusting. :s

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can the "radio chip" be read from outside the box and then the perp knows what's in the box?

Just say'n.
    should be wrapped in tin foil prior to packaging.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    Can the "radio chip" be read from outside the box and then the perp knows what's in the box?

Just say'n.
    should be wrapped in tin foil prior to packaging.

bob :)

For sure and because there wasn’t a postage price listed, I think that may have happened.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    My issue with the small flat rate boxes are when a seller ships items in one, but does not tape the ends. It doesn't take much to open the box if there is no tape. It can either be ripped open easily, or if a tad more care is taken, opened and then reclosed. Seal the ends!

8 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN0ieRltHE4

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad. Hopefully the coin is recovered. Will keep an eye out.

When I ship a small FR box, I like to use the USPS priority mail paper sticker to seal the seams and corners shut before going over the paper stickers with packing tape. Like Dan, I don't let it leave unless it is completely taped.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

????

Source: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=9405536105536868835697

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone that sends one of those boxes without being taped up around all the sides is just looking for trouble.
    Tape is CHEAP, use it.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of late coins I have ordered are arriving double boxed with aluminum foil encasing the coin's cardboard shipping packaging.

When I ship I trust only USPS Registered Mail.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I believe a private meeting with the postman is in need. Can't believe a postman would deliver such a package.
    Jim

Serious question, NOT snark.

The USPS has a defined process for filing a domestic insurance claim. In the case of "missing contents", this process requires the addressee to "retain the mailing container", and to produce it upon request.

"What is proof of damage?" @ https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Domestic-Claims-The-Basics#what_is_proof_of_damage

Given the structure of their claims process, isn't the USPS carrier supposed to deliver the 'damaged/empty' package to the recipient in order to enable a claim? If the carrier did not do this, the addressee would not have the "proof of damage" required for a claim.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I believe a private meeting with the postman is in need. Can't believe a postman would deliver such a package.
    Jim

Forget the postman/carrier, he's probably a nice guy. I'd be jumping on the Post Masters desk!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 1:39PM

@braddick said:

The bigger problem is that the sender and recipient will not be able to file a claim if there are no scans.

But it is scanned delivered, isn't it?

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 1:40PM

I won't use those flat rate boxes for anything of value... I've heard too many stories of them disappearing! If I ever do, it's going to be taped with the fiber tape, that's for sure!

Such a painful loss... that looks like a stunner of a bust!

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only way to go is a box in a box….it can’t be a quick bust and grab…..

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 5:17PM

I have sent several hundred dollar coins in 3" tubes. No one thinks of tubes as having items of value, merely pictures, photos, maps and other paper products. I've done this several times and although I have never had an item lost, stolen or destroyed, by many different shipping methods, I feel this is a safer way than boxes to ship items. JMO
    Jim
    edited to add: Of course the postman is at fault, why would any postman deliver a package with the side ripped out of the box and the box empty. Also, the final distributor of this item.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I have sent several hundred dollar coins in 3" tubes. No one thinks of tubes as having items of value, merely pictures, photos, maps and other paper products. I've done this several times and although I have never had an item lost, stolen or destroyed, by many different shipping methods, I feel this is a safer way than boxes to ship items. JMO
    Jim
    edited to add: Of course the postman is at fault, why would any postman deliver a package with the side ripped out of the box and the box empty. Also, the final distributor of this item.
    Jim

@MWallace

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should be able to get the $100 insurance honored plus cost of shipping.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 6:23PM
  • Options

@logger7 said:

I was receiving the package.

The seller had private insurance and is already working to get their money back.

• Options

@Pnies20 said:

@logger7 said:

The seller had private insurance and is already working to get their money back.

It's good he had private insurance and was not "self-insured". Additionally usps should pay out; I don't think the private insurance would negate a usps claim as well.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Good luck with that, I went out of the country and had a mail hold. While being held at the regional facility I had a 50k check show up which I could prove because I get photo deliver notices from USPS. When I come to claim my mail they said I had picked it up all ready and gave me my mail from the day after the check came to that point. I told them I had just got back in the country yesterday so that was impossible beside the fact if you come and pick up your mail it ends the hold but yet they still had 10 days of my mail surprisingly starting the day after a large check was accepted.

I escalated to the plant manager and the regional postal inspected. I just got a bunch of feds who could have cared less. The inspector said they only really care if registered mail goes missing. I told him it was clearly a worker who stole it and he laughed and I never heard from them again.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Why not? The package, with the comments “damaged” and “without contents” will help him with his claim.

You are right Cap. Dumb me did not see the damage tag. Sorry Mr. Postman. Mail sorters do not have the time to look over boxes, if the damage was pointing the other direction when they slide it into the next spot, they would never see it or perhaps care. Who knows.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Good luck with that, I went out of the country and had a mail hold. While being held at the regional facility I had a 50k check show up which I could prove because I get photo deliver notices from USPS. When I come to claim my mail they said I had picked it up all ready and gave me my mail from the day after the check came to that point. I told them I had just got back in the country yesterday so that was impossible beside the fact if you come and pick up your mail it ends the hold but yet they still had 10 days of my mail surprisingly starting the day after a large check was accepted.

I escalated to the plant manager and the regional postal inspected. I just got a bunch of feds who could have cared less. The inspector said they only really care if registered mail goes missing. I told him it was clearly a worker who stole it and he laughed and I never heard from them again.

Did somebody successfully cash the check?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@Pnies20 said:

@logger7 said:

It's good he had private insurance and was not "self-insured". Additionally usps should pay out; I don't think the private insurance would negate a usps claim as well.

You can't make 2 insurance claims on the same item.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    Had a fun little Friday. Was expecting a nice coin in the mail from @Davidk7 that fit into my redbook set.

Went to the mailbox annnnd……

These things happen and it was insured. Looks too perfect to have been from an “accident” but we’ll see. The main point of this post is if you see this coin anywhere, please notify me.

1820/19 sq. Base 2 PCGS AU55

Not sure if any one of the other posts mentioned this ... but please file a police report and report it as stolen. PCGS advised me before they will not take any action with the Cert number unless they have a police report.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@Crypto said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Did somebody successfully cash the check?

I don’t know as it was a check from the gov . I think it was because it took months to get another cut and at first they said the matter was closed but with no details. We had to get our congressman involved and eventually got another one cut. About a year later a major arrest sting went though that post office for stealing checks and I like to think that they were all vague with me due to an active investigation but I’ll never know.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

@Pnies20 said:

@logger7 said:

Why not? At the very least usps needs to refund the postage, now up to around $10. Why would a filing of private insurance nullify claims with usps?

• Options
    edited April 28, 2024 12:05PM

I fell bad that is a hell of of bust half, GL

• Options

@Crypto said:
    I fell bad that is a hell of of bust half, GL

Thanks. Really hoping it’s found. It filled a very lonely spot in my red book set!

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 242 ✭✭✭

This upset me so much. Hopefully they find it, or find the thief.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    tipnringtipnring Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

I had one that was delivered this month, ripped open on one of the ends that was taped. Nothing was missing since it was only a charger for my MacBook. It also took 7 days to arrive from only 200 miles away.

recent story here:
    Jacksonville Postal Service Employee Indicted For Stealing From The Mail

Monday, April 8, 2024
    Shareright caret
    For Immediate Release
    U.S. Attorney's Office, Middle District of Florida
    Jacksonville, Florida – United States Attorney Roger B. Handberg announces the return of an indictment charging Rekisha Duckworth (43, Jacksonville) with embezzlement of an article contained in the U.S. Mail by a U.S. Postal Service employee. If convicted, Duckworth faces a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison.

According to the indictment, on March 1, 2023, Duckworth, who was an employee of the U.S. Postal Service, stole from a mail item a retail store gift card and a bracelet. The mail item had come into her possession because it had been sent via U.S. Mail.

An indictment is merely a formal charge that a defendant has committed one or more violations of federal criminal law, and every defendant is presumed innocent unless, and until, proven guilty.

This case was investigated by the United States Postal Service – Office of Inspector General. It will be prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Laura Cofer Taylor.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

@Pnies20 said:

@logger7 said:

WAIT?
    Why not the shipper paid for the postage and that included the insurance.
    Nowhere does it state?? That the Post office should not pay the insurance claim.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file