Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Multiple Photos of the Same Coin Thread!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 21, 2024 2:20AM in U.S. Coin Forum

There are lots of threads that mention multiple photos of the same coin, and I'm especially a fan of multiple TrueViews of the same coin. Here's a thread for all of these :)

I just ran across this wonderful pattern coin (J-1755) with two TrueViews for enjoyment!

As for provenance, there's no provenance on CoinFacts or Cert Verification, and I couldn't locate this in the HA or SB archives.

Ref: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/40563194

It would be great if the CoinFacts page could show multiple TrueViews like these, which have vastly different photography styles.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 21, 2024 9:58AM

Great examples @lermish!

For the Trade Dollar, I really like @PhilArnold's version which showcase the luster and metallic surfaces!

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Great examples @lermish!

For the Trade Dollar, I really like @PhilArnold's version which showcase the luster and metallic surfaces!

Thanks! Re the T$, The previous owner's photo was taken specifically to highlight the chopmarks. Phil's pic is among the most accurate pictures (representing in hand appearance) that I've ever seen. He did a fantastic job.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2024 10:35AM

@lermish said:

@Zoins said:
    Great examples @lermish!

Thanks! Re the T$, The previous owner's photo was taken specifically to highlight the chopmarks. Phil's pic is among the most accurate pictures (representing in hand appearance) that I've ever seen. He did a fantastic job.

I agree the previous owner's photos showcase the chopmarks well! This is especially true on the reverse. This is important for chopmarks so thanks for calling it out!

• Options

@PhilArnold said:
    Shooting a couple of ways is helpful for certain coins. Take this Morgan for example. This isn’t a high value Morgan, but taking a little extra time to take a shot that highlights the luster, and another that highlights the toning will hopefully make the potential buyer happy.

Great example Phil! It's great to see how multiple situations where multiple photos are useful, including toners, proofs, chopmarks etc.

Thanks for posting these and explaining the rationale behind them!

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish On the trade dollar, it's interesting how alive the first images look compared to 2 and 3. I noted the second and third images also seem to hide the chatter to the right of liberty fairly notably as well... which can be a bit misleading to a buyer! For in hand appearance, and an honest sales tool, the first pic takes the cake all the way.

As for @PhilArnold comment about taking different shots on toners to show both the luster and color, that is a great idea. Some coins can be very difficult to show a true in hand view without multiple shots.

• Options

@spacehayduke wow what a difference. You have also shown the importance of lighting! Just a different angle can change the look completely!

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Phil is using his TV lighting setup at GC, but his replacement is using a different setup with more diffusion. Phil's has more direct reflection, so gives a brighter field and surfaces, better feature edge contrast, and better "deep" color presentation.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

These don't rival today's resolution and quality; they are from the 2001-2002 time frame. They do show the, "same coin, different look" aspect. First one is Teletrade, Second one is Heritage, Third one is mine.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2024 11:58AM

Nice coins.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

@spyglassdesign said:
    For the multiple shots idea... I took the first shot a few weeks ago but wasn't really happy with it. The follow up shot was after monkeying around with lighting for 4 hours. The second shot is closer to in hand, and the coin is highly reflective on the devices, which makes even the lowest level lighting tend to blow it out. These shots also show the toning more distinctly than the luster, so perhaps I should experiment more with the luster...

The only changes below are lighting!

How about adding as nice of a reverse photo please , thanks

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody firmly believes in this one.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I've posted this one before.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    Here’s one I did about 18 years ago or so when I used to use a DSLR camera. Not quite up to Phil’s standards, but I did the lighting tweak to make one shot show the toning and the other shot to show the black and white prooflike appearance and I liked how they came out

Very nice photos @Mr_Spud! It's great to be able to take photos like that and try different things to get different looks!

What do you use today if not a DSLR?

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2024 6:38AM

@Zoins said:

What do you use today if not a DSLR?

I’ve just been using my iPhone 12 Pro, it’s so much easier and quicker. The pictures from my iPhone don’t look as good if you make them too big, but if I stick to side by side trueview style, they almost come out as good as DSLR. And can almost get the colors to pop as good as DSLR if the lights are angled just right. Black and white cameo shots come out just as good. Heres a few examples where the iPhone pictures look good to me and most would think they were from DSLR, but not all of the ones I took with iPhone come out as good. It’s like I went through a learning curve when I photographed about 150 slabbed coins that didn’t have trueviews and now I don’t like a bunch of the earlier ones but too lazy to reshoot them.

Oh, and to make this post into a multiple photos of same coin like this thread is about, here’s some pictures of the Roosevelt where I used different lighting and techniques:

Mr_Spud

• Options

@RobertScotLover said:

@spyglassdesign said:
    For the multiple shots idea... I took the first shot a few weeks ago but wasn't really happy with it. The follow up shot was after monkeying around with lighting for 4 hours. The second shot is closer to in hand, and the coin is highly reflective on the devices, which makes even the lowest level lighting tend to blow it out. These shots also show the toning more distinctly than the luster, so perhaps I should experiment more with the luster...

The only changes below are lighting!

How about adding as nice of a reverse photo please , thanks

Sure

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    There are lots of threads that mention multiple photos of the same coin, and I'm especially a fan of multiple TrueViews of the same coin. Here's a thread for all of these :)

I just ran across this wonderful pattern coin (J-1755) with two TrueViews for enjoyment!

As for provenance, there's no provenance on CoinFacts or Cert Verification, and I couldn't locate this in the HA or SB archives.

Ref: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/40563194

It would be great if the CoinFacts page could show multiple TrueViews like these, which have vastly different photography styles.

US patterns.com states "
    "....
    Only 2 examples are believed to exist as follows:
    1) Bolt-Stacks 4/66?, Stacks 76 ANA, Ivy 10/76 FPL, unknown intermediaries, Superior 7/03, Simpson-Heritage 9/20, GreatCollections.com 2/19/23 - PCGS65,
    2) Farouk, 66 ANA, B/M 10/1987, Superior Auction 88, Superior 10/89:3388, Heritage 6/2002, Heritage 11/2003, Heritage 1/2004, Heritage 4/2009, Heritage 1/2011, Heritage 1/2012, Goldberg 1/2014, Goldberg 6/2020, Goldberg 6/21, GreatCollections.com 10/23/2022, GreatCollections.com 12/23/2023 – PCGS66, ...."

The image you posted is of the 1st provenance above

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure the differences have a lot to do with the lighting...but...

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 3:36AM

Lots of practice. Still not 100% but getting there.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file