Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Raw 1920 S Dime, Whatcha Think (I’m Ducking)

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got home his on an overseas venture, have at it. Only thing I can say is other than dipping - not me - the in-hand lustre better than photos:

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to duck...watermellons are out of season.

On a serious note- looks to be a great strike and likely worthy of FSB. I am having a tough time with the fields/surfaces. I think an in hand look would be needed to just develop a comfort level to offer the best possible opinion. Something tells me it looks better in hand.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that damage from upper I to B to E to R? Perhaps similar to counting wheel damage? Just looks like it is a pattern to me. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

The images show a FB example that’s either AU or Unc. - that’s about all I’m confident of without better pictures.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited April 20, 2024 7:13AM

CK Kind Sir, will you be at Baltimore show in June - I will show it to you there if you like?

Mark, I agree & don't know why these seem to pixellate (or whatever is going on) & probably need an update on my iPhone 11S. I don't detect any hairlines but think the coin was dipped. I will see if I can do better than the above pictures later today.

Don't like the mild dip too much but the coin does appear very well struck with FSB and edges of coin even practically finned in spots (also with little evidence of scuff).

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a dipped 65 FS.

Pretty nice for a San Francisco made coin.

The 1920-S Buffs are crap.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely need better photos for as full and realistic assessment of photos as one can do. The color and lighting and sharpness is all off, making the surfaces appear odd imo

• Options

Pics are fuzzy so surfaces looks grainy. Over dipped , or dipped too many times?

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overdipped, damaged.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, I am no expert on Mercury dimes. Couple of things I would be looking at very carefully if in hand:

The cheek finish does appear somewhat granular- uneven surfaces. Rub? AU? Helped in some way?

Also, has the split band been 'helped'?

----- kj
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2024 1:41AM

Early Winged Liberty Head dimes typically have a rippled texture to the luster, like the subject coin.
    I see some sort of small defect or mark on the jaw.

To me it looks like a MS-62 FB.
    I would not classify it as "damaged".
    It may have been "dipped", but if so, I doubt that the coin was heavily toned prior to that.
    So I think it would grade and is "market acceptable".

The photos are too granular to have high confidence in that assessment, however.

• Options

Well, I don't seem to manage pictures well, as in this post and particularly if you look back at similar purchases that I posted on the 1872 S Half and 1905 O quarter that got similar [appropriate] commentary but ended up graded MS63 and MS64 at our hosts.
    The bands are natural and unmolested, I will put two more obverse pictures in the next post as the jaw is "clean" IMHO. I am at a loss as to how the very good lustre does not show in the pictures. Sorry to beat a dead horse.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2024 5:22AM

Maybe this shows the jawline better - now the cheek looks to have grazing which it does not in hand with the lustre still not showing! Actually cartwheels on the reverse.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    It's a dipped 65 FS.

Pete

I strongly disagree with your “FS” designation, though I’d settle on “FB”.

As for grade, there’s no way to provide a meaningful grade guess from those images.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars I read above that you are using a camera phone. It seems like it is not focusing on the dime. I don't know apple phones and if you are doing this, but when taking the photo tap the screen where the dime is located. This should tell the phone camera to do its thing (focus and light) in that spot. There might be some setup / settings that do something similar. Can test it out by just pointing the camera at a room with a light source (not a close up). Tap the screen where the light source is and then other areas. If you see adjustments to the photo screen, then I would think it is working.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

Thanks! Will try that

• Options
    edited April 21, 2024 7:30AM

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those photos give a much nicer look. Nice coin!

----- kj
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on last photo looks like 64FB shot 5. Unless there are hairlines not showing

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting closer. Suspect it will show more accurate if you can get the lighting angle just right.

Now after using all those different backgrounds it might get called out for "carpet friction". :o

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    It's a dipped 65 FS.

Pete

I strongly disagree with your “FS” designation, though I’d settle on “FB”.

As for grade, there’s no way to provide a meaningful grade guess from those images.

I see why, Mark. Thinking nickels again.

Although my comment was a "step" in the right direction.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file