Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is PSA Abandoning the Set Registry?

2»

Comments

• Options

Hi PatriotTrading,
    Those are great suggestions, regarding the social media and prizes. There will be a posting going out towards the end of the week which will touch upon these elements among other topics. We have been slow to pump up the Registry due to the large backlog (new sets/slots). Our processing is very manual and the team has been doing their best to keep up with the requests. We are getting closer to reopening again but in doing so, want to make sure we have the personnel and processes in place so as to avoid another shut down.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really hope the frequent crashes for those of us who have a lot of sets will get addressed someday. It's really cumbersome. PSA doesn't appreciate the value the registry holds. I know there's less competition than ever these days but there are plenty of examples of companies who were on top of the world at one time and later found themselves out of business before they knew it.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭

@SetRegistryOfficial said:
    We have been slow to pump up the Registry due to the large backlog (new sets/slots). Our processing is very manual and the team has been doing their best to keep up with the requests. We are getting closer to reopening again but in doing so, want to make sure we have the personnel and processes in place so as to avoid another shut down.

Yesterday, I had 9 additional slots approved for the Ron Cey Master Set.
    To my disappointment, all were added as "optional."
    What? This makes no sense to me. This is the "Master Set" right?
    All the cards I added, the same year and brand of cards are in other players' Master Set checklist.

This is quite the slap in the face to my efforts and cost to search out these cards and self submit them to be graded, only for the Registry to diminish my collection by omitting them from the MASTER SET and instead adding them as optional.
    I'm really upset about this and this needs to be corrected.
    Plus I have several other cards ready for submission that are also missing from the Master Set.
    I have to wonder now if I should even bother.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭✭

There are dozens of things that can be done to improve the Registry as a whole to make the user experience much better.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

@halosfan said:
    There are dozens of things that can be done to improve the Registry as a whole to make the user experience much better.

Are they things you have previously posted about? Or would you consider listing them here?

• Options
    Mephisto44Mephisto44 Posts: 5
    edited April 19, 2024 5:34AM

@RonSportscards said:

We have been slow to pump up the Registry due to the large backlog (new sets/slots). Our processing is very manual and the team has been doing their best to keep up with the requests. We are getting closer to reopening again but in doing so, want to make sure we have the personnel and processes in place so as to avoid another shut down.

All the cards I added, the same year and brand of cards are in other players' Master Set checklist.

This is quite the slap in the face to my efforts and cost to search out these cards and self submit them to be graded, only for the Registry to diminish my collection by omitting them from the MASTER SET and instead adding them as optional.
    Plus I have several other cards ready for submission that are also missing from the Master Set.

I’ve just completely stopped requesting slots at this point. I had been picking up cheaper cards of one player to add to their master registry set but decided to stop doing that since I have so many outstanding slots for higher end cards of the same player dating back 7 months. Given the last slots I had filled were all just given 1.00 weighting despite clear rarity and value of a few it’s just not worth the effort.

Also want to note I edited this to add I just took a look at the Ron Cey Master set and what a joke. All those new items are in fact listed as optional. The 1975 World Series Game 5 is especially ridiculous considering it’s from the regular flagship Topps set. Per Master set rules Cey is featured on the front of the card and also mentioned on the back of the card…not to mention I’m pretty sure I’ve seen sets Master Sets where this is ignored.

In fact the 1977 Orioles Team card is a perfect example of this. The Reggie Jackson Master Set contains this card. Reggie is in the team picture but his name is not mentioned on the back of the card.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some other team cards similar to this sitting in Master Sets for players. Many times in the 60’s pictures were reused for multiple years and you can barely make out who some players are in the photos.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2024 12:08PM

@Mephisto44 said:

@RonSportscards said:

I’ve just completely stopped requesting slots at this point. I had been picking up cheaper cards of one player to add to their master registry set but decided to stop doing that since I have so many outstanding slots for higher end cards of the same player dating back 7 months. Given the last slots I had filled were all just given 1.00 weighting despite clear rarity and value of a few it’s just not worth the effort.

Also want to note I edited this to add I just took a look at the Ron Cey Master set and what a joke. All those new items are in fact listed as optional. The 1975 World Series Game 5 is especially ridiculous considering it’s from the regular flagship Topps set. Per Master set rules Cey is featured on the front of the card and also mentioned on the back of the card…not to mention I’m pretty sure I’ve seen sets Master Sets where this is ignored.

In fact the 1977 Orioles Team card is a perfect example of this. The Reggie Jackson Master Set contains this card. Reggie is in the team picture but his name is not mentioned on the back of the card.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some other team cards similar to this sitting in Master Sets for players. Many times in the 60’s pictures were reused for multiple years and you can barely make out who some players are in the photos.

My previous batch of slot requests, the 75 Topps MINI World Series was added, but when I went to add the "regular" 75 Topps card, it was added only optional. Makes no sense. And Topps stickers are in, but exact same O-Pee-Chee version out?

And I'm using the Steve Garvey Master Set as a comparison, where the Fleer Stickers and OPC Stickers and other oddballs are part of his set, but again, when I request to add to the Ron Cey Set, they are considered optional. And strangely, the Garvey set has cards outside his playing years as well.

If a 1982 ALL-STAR GAME PROGRAM INSERTS-HAND CUT is included in the Garvey Set, then my Cey card that I found, hand cut myself, submitted to PSA myself, which proudly got a PSA10, should DEFINITELY be in the Cey Master Set.

Out of the blue, PSA added a 52-Card Deck playing card of Cey. No stats or anything. Absolutely fine by me, but it certainly didn't meet the criteria laid out by PSA, so don't try to use that as an excuse to omit select cards from the Master Set.

I would think PSA would want fans of a certain player to be encouraged to seek out all his cards of playing years and get those cards submitted. Many of those slot requests were cards I self submitted. And this is the "Thank you for your business" I get.

I want to know my efforts are being recognized and the player is being properly represented.
    This was a bucket list thing for me, but I've been completely discouraged to move forward on this project.

• Options

I asked the same question regarding new items being added as optional and this is the response I was given:

“In light of the 2024 PSA Set Registry Awards deadline, approved new slot requests will be processed as optional.

Once the deadline has passed, the items will become required and count towards completion & rating.”

So I am guessing from this response that any new slots added from this point until the registry awards deadline will be added as optional to their respective sets and once the deadline for awards has passed, their status will be changed to required. Now as to when they actually change their status is anyone’s guess

• Options

@boatsnhoes said:
    I asked the same question regarding new items being added as optional and this is the response I was given:

“In light of the 2024 PSA Set Registry Awards deadline, approved new slot requests will be processed as optional.

Once the deadline has passed, the items will become required and count towards completion & rating.”

So I am guessing from this response that any new slots added from this point until the registry awards deadline will be added as optional to their respective sets and once the deadline for awards has passed, their status will be changed to required. Now as to when they actually change their status is anyone’s guess

Thank you for that!
    I did just get an email yesterday about the awards deadline being May 31(which I didn't know) and it did make me wonder about any late changes to existing sets. They did just recently add over 50 new sets to the registry.
    I hope you're right and the optional cards are then rightfully added.

• Options

Regarding the processing of new slot requests as part of inclusion into the SR awards period, the information provided is accurate. Once the awards period ends on 5/31, those changes would be come permanent.

• Options

Regarding the processing of new slot requests as part of inclusion into the SR awards period, the information provided is accurate. Once the awards period ends on 5/31, those changes would be come permanent.

Thank you for confirming.
    I was a little upset there, but I'm better now.
    At least I know now I can proceed with my project.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what the timeline for things to be back on line is? This has been down for like a year now.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭

@fhennessy15 said:
    That was a good listen, thanks! Wish he went into a little more detail and gave some sort of timeline on when they would roll it out their update on the registry. As they haven't given an update on set requests in almost a month and a half. We know there is currently no emphasis on it so would be nice if they made an announcement soon

some of the set requests are flat out dumb...
    How many sets for one player can exist
    Basic
    Master
    TOpps
    Collectors issue
    i mean cmon

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭

Hi SR Members,
    Just a reminder that there is a little over a month left to get your sets updated for inclusion in the Annual SR Awards consideration pool. On 5/31/24, we will close the award period and begin selecting the winners.

As an aside, regarding the posts ranging from the future of the registry to why newly created sets are defaulting to a weight of one, these will be addressed shortly.

Would they be awarding pins ? I love my pin !!!
    !

• Options
    RainbowRichardsRainbowRichards Posts: 37
    edited May 17, 2024 10:47AM

@lawyer05 said:

!

Also waiting on pins for my 2023 awards :-(

• Options
    boatsnhoesboatsnhoes Posts: 3
    edited May 17, 2024 6:45PM

@RainbowRichards said:

@lawyer05 said:

!

Also waiting on pins for my 2023 awards :-(

Waiting on pins for 2023 awards…. that’s really unbelievable but unfortunately not surprising and in a nutshell, why there’s a thread that exists about whether psa is abandoning the registry. Just another piece in a long line of data that demonstrates regardless of how much psa pushes the registry and pays lip service about how it’s something they believe in that it’s really just an afterthought at best. CEO claims in 12/23 that 2024 will be a year of improvements and nothing as of this date. We get a post on 4/16/24 that by end of the week there will be a post addressing concerns mentioned and then, nothing.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@fhennessy15 said:
    That was a good listen, thanks! Wish he went into a little more detail and gave some sort of timeline on when they would roll it out their update on the registry. As they haven't given an update on set requests in almost a month and a half. We know there is currently no emphasis on it so would be nice if they made an announcement soon

some of the set requests are flat out dumb...
    How many sets for one player can exist
    Basic
    Master
    TOpps
    Collectors issue
    i mean cmon

And, Super as well (post-retirement items included).