Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Is PSA Abandoning the Set Registry?

gemintgemint Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from no longer making sense to grade commons for most sets due to the current submission rates and the ultra tough grading being doled out for vintage, now they don't even have an option to ask registry questions in the pulldown menu for the new PSA support tool. I'm wanting to ask why sets I'm actively working on are getting retired without an action on my part. I'm going to try the old set registry email address to see if it still works.

By the way, I called customer service today and the automated message told me to fill out the support form or try to call back later today or tomorrow. It was basically a "why should we talk to you dam_ customers anyway?" response to my need for product support.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd think that but sale prices on higher grade commons suggest otherwise.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    Aside from no longer making sense to grade commons for most sets due to the current submission rates and the ultra tough grading being doled out for vintage, now they don't even have an option to ask registry questions in the pulldown menu for the new PSA support tool. I'm wanting to ask why sets I'm actively working on are getting retired without an action on my part. I'm going to try the old set registry email address to see if it still works.

By the way, I called customer service today and the automated message told me to fill out the support form or try to call back later today or tomorrow. It was basically a "why should we talk to you dam_ customers anyway?" response to my need for product support.

What time did you call ? I think that you have to call early . I also think that they get swamped with calls every day.
    I have called and had pretty good luck getting through to talk to someone, but also have had that message a few times to call back the next day.

• PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2023 12:27PM

When the lowest price to grade a vintage common is $15, it just might be the customer abandoning the registry. Its kinda weird. I'd send in 100 70's cards for $1000 but not $1500. I suppose they still need to catch up or hold steady but I do believe in time, if it's cost ineffective for new collectors to start a registry vintage set, at least that part will die.

• I think they are working on some upgrades and changes...the registry is too important to let it die.

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

The registry isn't what it used to be.

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

gemint- I totally think PSA is abandoning the Set Registry members as well. When the 70's special is $14.99 a card that tells me all I need to know. One of the mods responded to my thread two weeks ago after I stated that this was a crappy special for 1970's and it did not help the collector. He said something like "this is a great deal and the lowest cost since Feb." PSA only cares about the bottom line (profit) and has zero concerns for their customers and/or product. I am really struggling on what to do with my collection. I am either going to only collect raw and sell my graded or just sell it all except the unopened (the one product PSA can't screw up for me).
    Grote- what are you talking about when you state that prices of commons tell us otherwise? I sent in 100 1970 and 1971 Topps (basketball and football) all from vending. I hardly got any PSA 8's from 1971 and those that I did get back had a value of $20-50- the undergraded PSA 7's have a value of $10. These cards cost me $17 a card. So let me get this straight, PSA is going to charge the most they can and grade as harshly as possible so the customer just can't get win. Before they open up our package, we as a collector have no chance of getting a PSA 10 (vintage speaking only). This is not my opinion, this is fact.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases

Sports cards has become too big $$$. It is almost impossible for most people to collect and have fun today. It seems like the only one's making $$$ and getting rich are the stores selling cards and grading companies. It is becoming more and more a hobby just for rich people.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear that Shane. I got hammered on my last three subs as well...two crossovers and one bulk submission. I am trying again on a limited basis with the 70s special. There are still graders there that know how to grade vintage. It's a luck of the draw whether they will get my order or not.

I fully agree with what you say about it being near impossible to make grading vintage non superstars profitable at the current grading fees when they grade the way they've been grading lately. If they keep it up, they won't have much vintage to grade, especially with the economy slowing. With modern also vulnerable to an economic slowdown, they'll be dreaming of the days they had more orders than they knew what to do with.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2023 10:48PM

@1954 said:
    gemint- I totally think PSA is abandoning the Set Registry members as well. When the 70's special is $14.99 a card that tells me all I need to know. One of the mods responded to my thread two weeks ago after I stated that this was a crappy special for 1970's and it did not help the collector. He said something like "this is a great deal and the lowest cost since Feb." PSA only cares about the bottom line (profit) and has zero concerns for their customers and/or product. I am really struggling on what to do with my collection. I am either going to only collect raw and sell my graded or just sell it all except the unopened (the one product PSA can't screw up for me).
    Grote- what are you talking about when you state that prices of commons tell us otherwise? I sent in 100 1970 and 1971 Topps (basketball and football) all from vending. I hardly got any PSA 8's from 1971 and those that I did get back had a value of $20-50- the undergraded PSA 7's have a value of $10. These cards cost me $17 a card. So let me get this straight, PSA is going to charge the most they can and grade as harshly as possible so the customer just can't get win. Before they open up our package, we as a collector have no chance of getting a PSA 10 (vintage speaking only). This is not my opinion, this is fact.

You completely misunderstood my post. It had nothing to do with the cost basis of submitting your own cards but rather the hammer prices that common cards are realizing in higher grades. The average cost of a PSA 8 or PSA 9 1975 mini baseball card, for example, is much higher today than it was several years ago. Most of the other sets I collect from the 1970s similarly reflect that model. So, collectors are still spending good money for graded common cards. As a rule of thumb, I will only submit cards to PSA that will either appreciate in value vs raw once graded or that are for my own personal sets. I buy most of my common cards now already graded so there is little guesswork or risk. I will agree, however, that submitting vintage cards is tougher today than it was years ago.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • On today's episode of the Golden Age of Cardboard podcast, Nat Turner, the CEO of Collectors, discusses the set registry. The technology can no longer support the registry (10,000 people per day use the registry) and it's being rebuilt from the ground up. He was pretty open about the performance issues with the website and the plans they have for its future. They start discussing the registry at the 38:50 mark. You can listen on Apple or Spotify (and presumably other podcast platforms).

• That was a good listen, thanks! Wish he went into a little more detail and gave some sort of timeline on when they would roll it out their update on the registry. As they haven't given an update on set requests in almost a month and a half. We know there is currently no emphasis on it so would be nice if they made an announcement soon

Thanks for the update mod. I have hundreds of sets registered, so it exacerbates the issues when I try to maintain my sets. That along with correcting recent PSA grading standard changes on vintage and hopefully getting some lower rate specials for 60s/70s commons would help to ensure the registry remains a mainstay and market driver for the industry.

• HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@pdoidoi said:
    Sports cards has become too big $$$. It is almost impossible for most people to collect and have fun today. It seems like the only one's making $$$ and getting rich are the stores selling cards and grading companies. It is becoming more and more a hobby just for rich people.

Very true.
    The middle class should just buy raw cards/sets because you get more for the money.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

The better(?) question might be are collectors abandoning the registry?

I haven't submitted anything for my sets for a couple of years, and don't see myself sending anything in again.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:
    The better(?) question might be are collectors abandoning the registry?

I haven't submitted anything for my sets for a couple of years, and don't see myself sending anything in again.

Things need to change with PSA Grading. Vintage collectors of the registry are screwed if PSA does not do anything. I have many of vintage non sports cards that I need to help complete sets but I know if graded now they will get a much different grade then they did several years ago.

• Screw it. I got tired of waiting. Just sent in a couple SGC crossovers & raw 1916-20 Big Heads in this week for my registry.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • I'm just a guppy in a sea of sharks.
    PSA isn't fun anymore.
    thinking of liquidating.

PSA I hope you are looking into this.
    Vintage and modern cards are different and maybe they should be graded differently.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA is making changes. This video is about submissions. There are other changes coming.
    https://youtu.be/dyx2F5vKhcM?si=BMukcBYzkqqcdazg

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

I used to really enjoy the Set Registry, but I am becoming increasingly disenchanted. The process of getting new items listed on the Registry is becoming more and more frustrating. Maybe it's time for me to sell it all?

Thanks for posting that video. That's all window dressing. It's fine but it does nothing to improve cost or quality in the grading process which are the two most damaging attributes that are affecting the registry.

• How long are new slot requests taking these days? I have some as old as from October 2023 that are still pending.

• I have some from late 2020, so...

• Did you upload pics of the items as required?

• @ChadTower said:
    How long are new slot requests taking these days? I have some as old as from October 2023 that are still pending.

I noticed my requests have become almost nonexistent to be completed in the last 2 months or so. I’ve had one done and my oldest is now August 30th.

• "@ChadTower said:
    How long are new slot requests taking these days? I have some as old as from October 2023 that are still pending.

I noticed my requests have become almost nonexistent to be completed in the last 2 months or so. I’ve had one done and my oldest is now August 30th."

I made three request last October. Nothing has been added. I was wondering if I was alone with this issue but this thread confirms that others are having the same issue.

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭✭

I had requests for slot adds to a set pending from last summer and a bunch got worked Friday. I'd love for an update on when the Registry will be fully operational again

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • My backlog was completed over the weekend. So they're at least not deaf about it.

I requested a new slot in early November 2023 that hasn't been addressed yet.

• redlegsredlegs Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have one pending from last May that I am still waiting to be added to the registry.

• I’m up to about 27 requests and only 3 were requested in the last month. I’ve still only had one request filled in about 10 weeks. 😑

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭

I have slot requests from 10/23 still not added.