Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is PSA Abandoning the Set Registry?

gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from no longer making sense to grade commons for most sets due to the current submission rates and the ultra tough grading being doled out for vintage, now they don't even have an option to ask registry questions in the pulldown menu for the new PSA support tool. I'm wanting to ask why sets I'm actively working on are getting retired without an action on my part. I'm going to try the old set registry email address to see if it still works.

By the way, I called customer service today and the automated message told me to fill out the support form or try to call back later today or tomorrow. It was basically a "why should we talk to you dam_ customers anyway?" response to my need for product support.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd think that but sale prices on higher grade commons suggest otherwise.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    Aside from no longer making sense to grade commons for most sets due to the current submission rates and the ultra tough grading being doled out for vintage, now they don't even have an option to ask registry questions in the pulldown menu for the new PSA support tool. I'm wanting to ask why sets I'm actively working on are getting retired without an action on my part. I'm going to try the old set registry email address to see if it still works.

By the way, I called customer service today and the automated message told me to fill out the support form or try to call back later today or tomorrow. It was basically a "why should we talk to you dam_ customers anyway?" response to my need for product support.

What time did you call ? I think that you have to call early . I also think that they get swamped with calls every day.
    I have called and had pretty good luck getting through to talk to someone, but also have had that message a few times to call back the next day.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2023 1:27PM

When the lowest price to grade a vintage common is $15, it just might be the customer abandoning the registry. Its kinda weird. I'd send in 100 70's cards for $1000 but not $1500. I suppose they still need to catch up or hold steady but I do believe in time, if it's cost ineffective for new collectors to start a registry vintage set, at least that part will die.

• Options

I think they are working on some upgrades and changes...the registry is too important to let it die.

• Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

The registry isn't what it used to be.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

gemint- I totally think PSA is abandoning the Set Registry members as well. When the 70's special is $14.99 a card that tells me all I need to know. One of the mods responded to my thread two weeks ago after I stated that this was a crappy special for 1970's and it did not help the collector. He said something like "this is a great deal and the lowest cost since Feb." PSA only cares about the bottom line (profit) and has zero concerns for their customers and/or product. I am really struggling on what to do with my collection. I am either going to only collect raw and sell my graded or just sell it all except the unopened (the one product PSA can't screw up for me).
    Grote- what are you talking about when you state that prices of commons tell us otherwise? I sent in 100 1970 and 1971 Topps (basketball and football) all from vending. I hardly got any PSA 8's from 1971 and those that I did get back had a value of $20-50- the undergraded PSA 7's have a value of $10. These cards cost me $17 a card. So let me get this straight, PSA is going to charge the most they can and grade as harshly as possible so the customer just can't get win. Before they open up our package, we as a collector have no chance of getting a PSA 10 (vintage speaking only). This is not my opinion, this is fact.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

Sports cards has become too big $$$. It is almost impossible for most people to collect and have fun today. It seems like the only one's making $$$ and getting rich are the stores selling cards and grading companies. It is becoming more and more a hobby just for rich people.

• Options

I'm sorry to hear that Shane. I got hammered on my last three subs as well...two crossovers and one bulk submission. I am trying again on a limited basis with the 70s special. There are still graders there that know how to grade vintage. It's a luck of the draw whether they will get my order or not.

I fully agree with what you say about it being near impossible to make grading vintage non superstars profitable at the current grading fees when they grade the way they've been grading lately. If they keep it up, they won't have much vintage to grade, especially with the economy slowing. With modern also vulnerable to an economic slowdown, they'll be dreaming of the days they had more orders than they knew what to do with.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2023 11:48PM

@1954 said:
    gemint- I totally think PSA is abandoning the Set Registry members as well. When the 70's special is $14.99 a card that tells me all I need to know. One of the mods responded to my thread two weeks ago after I stated that this was a crappy special for 1970's and it did not help the collector. He said something like "this is a great deal and the lowest cost since Feb." PSA only cares about the bottom line (profit) and has zero concerns for their customers and/or product. I am really struggling on what to do with my collection. I am either going to only collect raw and sell my graded or just sell it all except the unopened (the one product PSA can't screw up for me).
    Grote- what are you talking about when you state that prices of commons tell us otherwise? I sent in 100 1970 and 1971 Topps (basketball and football) all from vending. I hardly got any PSA 8's from 1971 and those that I did get back had a value of $20-50- the undergraded PSA 7's have a value of $10. These cards cost me $17 a card. So let me get this straight, PSA is going to charge the most they can and grade as harshly as possible so the customer just can't get win. Before they open up our package, we as a collector have no chance of getting a PSA 10 (vintage speaking only). This is not my opinion, this is fact.

You completely misunderstood my post. It had nothing to do with the cost basis of submitting your own cards but rather the hammer prices that common cards are realizing in higher grades. The average cost of a PSA 8 or PSA 9 1975 mini baseball card, for example, is much higher today than it was several years ago. Most of the other sets I collect from the 1970s similarly reflect that model. So, collectors are still spending good money for graded common cards. As a rule of thumb, I will only submit cards to PSA that will either appreciate in value vs raw once graded or that are for my own personal sets. I buy most of my common cards now already graded so there is little guesswork or risk. I will agree, however, that submitting vintage cards is tougher today than it was years ago.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

On today's episode of the Golden Age of Cardboard podcast, Nat Turner, the CEO of Collectors, discusses the set registry. The technology can no longer support the registry (10,000 people per day use the registry) and it's being rebuilt from the ground up. He was pretty open about the performance issues with the website and the plans they have for its future. They start discussing the registry at the 38:50 mark. You can listen on Apple or Spotify (and presumably other podcast platforms).

• Options

That was a good listen, thanks! Wish he went into a little more detail and gave some sort of timeline on when they would roll it out their update on the registry. As they haven't given an update on set requests in almost a month and a half. We know there is currently no emphasis on it so would be nice if they made an announcement soon

• Options

Thanks for the update mod. I have hundreds of sets registered, so it exacerbates the issues when I try to maintain my sets. That along with correcting recent PSA grading standard changes on vintage and hopefully getting some lower rate specials for 60s/70s commons would help to ensure the registry remains a mainstay and market driver for the industry.

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@pdoidoi said:
    Sports cards has become too big $$$. It is almost impossible for most people to collect and have fun today. It seems like the only one's making $$$ and getting rich are the stores selling cards and grading companies. It is becoming more and more a hobby just for rich people.

Very true.
    The middle class should just buy raw cards/sets because you get more for the money.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

The better(?) question might be are collectors abandoning the registry?

I haven't submitted anything for my sets for a couple of years, and don't see myself sending anything in again.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    The better(?) question might be are collectors abandoning the registry?

I haven't submitted anything for my sets for a couple of years, and don't see myself sending anything in again.

Things need to change with PSA Grading. Vintage collectors of the registry are screwed if PSA does not do anything. I have many of vintage non sports cards that I need to help complete sets but I know if graded now they will get a much different grade then they did several years ago.

• Options

Screw it. I got tired of waiting. Just sent in a couple SGC crossovers & raw 1916-20 Big Heads in this week for my registry.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

I'm just a guppy in a sea of sharks.
    PSA isn't fun anymore.
    thinking of liquidating.

• Options

PSA I hope you are looking into this.
    Vintage and modern cards are different and maybe they should be graded differently.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA is making changes. This video is about submissions. There are other changes coming.
    https://youtu.be/dyx2F5vKhcM?si=BMukcBYzkqqcdazg

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

I used to really enjoy the Set Registry, but I am becoming increasingly disenchanted. The process of getting new items listed on the Registry is becoming more and more frustrating. Maybe it's time for me to sell it all?

• Options

Thanks for posting that video. That's all window dressing. It's fine but it does nothing to improve cost or quality in the grading process which are the two most damaging attributes that are affecting the registry.

• Options

How long are new slot requests taking these days? I have some as old as from October 2023 that are still pending.

• Options

I have some from late 2020, so...

• Options

Did you upload pics of the items as required?

• Options

@ChadTower said:
    How long are new slot requests taking these days? I have some as old as from October 2023 that are still pending.

I noticed my requests have become almost nonexistent to be completed in the last 2 months or so. I’ve had one done and my oldest is now August 30th.

• Options

"@ChadTower said:

I noticed my requests have become almost nonexistent to be completed in the last 2 months or so. I’ve had one done and my oldest is now August 30th."

I made three request last October. Nothing has been added. I was wondering if I was alone with this issue but this thread confirms that others are having the same issue.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

I had requests for slot adds to a set pending from last summer and a bunch got worked Friday. I'd love for an update on when the Registry will be fully operational again

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

My backlog was completed over the weekend. So they're at least not deaf about it.

• Options

I requested a new slot in early November 2023 that hasn't been addressed yet.

• Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have one pending from last May that I am still waiting to be added to the registry.

• Options

I’m up to about 27 requests and only 3 were requested in the last month. I’ve still only had one request filled in about 10 weeks. 😑

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

I have slot requests from 10/23 still not added.

• Options

Hello SR Members,
    Late last week an announcement was made regarding Collectors Holdings acquisition of SGC. Some of you may be wondering how this will impact the Set Registry. At this time, there are no plans to incorporate SGC graded cards into competitive sets or showcases. However, you can continue to upload them to your inventory.

For additional information, please click the following links.

gosgc.com/SGC-Joins-Collectors
    sportscollectorsdaily.com/report-psa-parent-company-set-to-acquire-sgc/

• Options

@SetRegistryOfficial said:
    Hello SR Members,
    Late last week an announcement was made regarding Collectors Holdings acquisition of SGC. Some of you may be wondering how this will impact the Set Registry. At this time, there are no plans to incorporate SGC graded cards into competitive sets or showcases. However, you can continue to upload them to your inventory.

For additional information, please click the following links.

gosgc.com/SGC-Joins-Collectors
    sportscollectorsdaily.com/report-psa-parent-company-set-to-acquire-sgc/

Honestly, it hadn't even entered my mind.

• Options

@ChadTower said:
    Did you upload pics of the items as required?

The added slots I requested were self subbed cards recently graded, so PSA has the scans of the cards for each cert number. Do I still need to upload pics?

• Options

Any updates on when we can expect to see ANY improvements to the registry? All well and good to say psa is committed to the registry but quite another to actually show any commitment. I got back into collecting a few years ago and liked the idea of collecting graded cards for a variety of reasons but initially did not gravitate to psa cards. But I kept hearing about the set registry and about how it was the reason psa commands higher prices and why psa would always be king so decided to check it out. When I started to enter my slabs into the registry I totally got the concept of it, became very excited and enthused about it, and switched to almost exclusively buying psa cards. INITIALLY, the fact that so many of the cards I tried to add to sets of players I collect weren’t already a part of their sets seemed like it would be a minor hindrance. I was VERy wrong about that. The clocking and crashing that a person has to contend with just to request a slot be added is bad but would be at least tolerable if the slots were actually added within a reasonable time frame. What a reasonable time frame is I suppose is debatable but personally having to wait a year or more for hall of fame players’ slots to be added seems ridiculous to me.

• Options
    davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

If I were to guess I’d say nothing will change till after all the awards for sets are given out. There is always a chance that things won’t transfer smoothly so if they at least have those done then there won’t be much fallout if cards fall off peoples registry.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I have several requests from 2022 still pending, but one from July 20, 2020 takes the cake. Yes, 2020.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

I’m just going to ramble here, but some might fit in here. I agree that the registry is dusty and unreliable. I have two 2019 Rookie Sets going at the moment, but just one more year later on 2020 I am only shy less than a handful of a complete Mosaic Rainbow, but it’s not there.
    Now, they are raising the price to keep our same status yet no true additional benefits; at least that I find beneficial. So, I’m not sure about the rest of you, but I will be canceling my membership. I haven’t decided if I’m going to cancel it soon or just right before it auto-renews. I purchase their graded product which is why I am a member, but I’m also an LCS owner and I have contracts for grading with 3 other well known companies for my customers and myself or shop. The reason I do, is not because I don’t respect what they have built here. But I will not have my cards graded by a company that can’t even give me a reason why it got an 8 or even a 5. If all I have to rely on is subconscious human bias, I’m not taking my chances. Because you could have someone that’s a huge Lebron fan, and you just sent in some nice Jordan’s. Or maybe someone’s ticked off because someone cut them off in traffic and flipped them off. They are in a bad mood grading cards. Psychology has proven over and over again that in situations such as the ways that PSA and SGC grade their cards will generally have heavy human bias.
    Why do all these rich people that rip 20 cases take that one special card and they are always a 10? Seems there is a type of algorithm in place for big cards and big 10s these days. Ok, I’m done because I will probably get scolded at a minimum. But what are we getting for all the extra money? They are the highest priced grade in the industry. I get them graded for $9 and I get scans back after the card is graded, they are greyscale and what you got dinged with will be highlighted by bright color; surface area, corners and edges, as well as center measurement.
    Done

• Options
    HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 300 ✭✭

If you want an answer on what PSA is thinking and doing about the Registry you don't have to look any further than the fact that they have not added a new registry since the end of January.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

The added slots I requested were self subbed cards recently graded, so PSA has the scans of the cards for each cert number. Do I still need to upload pics?

I have done the same - so I just downloaded the PSA scans and attached to the slot request. The less work they have to do the sooner your cards will be added.

Otherwise - I received an email yesterday from collectors that I was selected to participate in a feedback session regarding changes to the SR (I've been a member for a little over a year). Seems like they are serious about making changes. Trust me - one of my main suggestions will be to add lower-priced un/common grading levels. I've got literally thousands of common and uncommon Pokemon cards that I would send to make sets - back to the 1999 Base Set.

• Options

@RainbowRichards said:

@RonSportscards said:

I have done the same - so I just downloaded the PSA scans and attached to the slot request. The less work they have to do the sooner your cards will be added.

Otherwise - I received an email yesterday from collectors that I was selected to participate in a feedback session regarding changes to the SR (I've been a member for a little over a year). Seems like they are serious about making changes. Trust me - one of my main suggestions will be to add lower-priced un/common grading levels. I've got literally thousands of common and uncommon Pokemon cards that I would send to make sets - back to the 1999 Base Set.

I had to take pics of a couple older graded cards to add to new slot requests.
    I went ahead and added the PSA scans for the recently graded ones too, so now all my requests have uploaded pics.

In fairness to PSA, I can't imagine trying to keep up the registries, especially modern sportscards, with all the colors of the rainbow, numbered, refractor, sunburst, speckled and every other variation each player has.

And it looks like grading prices have actually gone up again with the latest specials. Add to that the tough grading and it makes it harder to send in lower valued cards. The grades I received from my latest sub of commons/semi-stars was rough, below what they should be, devaluing the cards to less than the cost of grading.

• Options

I finally had a few slots in player sets filled this week after a month of nothing…and now I wish they would have just remained uncompleted. The weightings for all the cards was just a standard 1.00 despite most of them being a much lower numbered variation than other existing slots that have weightings above 1.00.

In the fall when slots on my rarer cards were being filled I felt the weightings being assigned were reasonable.

The 2019 Topps Chrome Arenado Red Refractor is numbered to just 5 yet has a lower weighting than a lot of the other higher numbered variations including the Blue Wave Refractor which is showing as “New” to the set and given a whooping 4.00 weighting despite being numbered to 75.

Somehow the 2014 Topps Chrome Arenado Atomic is numbered to 10 but has a lower weighting than the existing Purple (not even numbered) and Black Refractor numbered to 100.

Although the Blue X-Fractor Clemens also shows “New” in the checklist it somehow is weighted higher than the Gold. The Gold X-Fractor is serial numbered to 10 while the Blue is 150. The Gold X-Fractor is by far the lowest variation out of any of the 2005 Finest cards listed on the checklist for this PSA set.

I know the research that goes into the weighting can be difficult sometimes but these were rather easy with so many higher serial numbered variations already listed in the player sets having higher weightings. That should have been a clue to go at least slightly higher with the weighting instead of the generic 1.00.

At this point I’m not even going to bother requesting slots in sets anymore. Aside from how slow it’s become for them to be filled the weightings being assigned have now become meaningless.

• Options

I didn't see this addressed, but I might have missed it.
    I was going to start a Kirill Kaprizov set, but it seems that they aren't adding any new player sets?
    Or am I missing something 🤔?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Hi SR Members,
    Just a reminder that there is a little over a month left to get your sets updated for inclusion in the Annual SR Awards consideration pool. On 5/31/24, we will close the award period and begin selecting the winners.

As an aside, regarding the posts ranging from the future of the registry to why newly created sets are defaulting to a weight of one, these will be addressed shortly.

• Options
    RainbowRichardsRainbowRichards Posts: 30
    edited April 16, 2024 9:11AM

Dear SetRegistryOfficial- any idea when the awards (pins) will be sent out for the 2023 Annual SR Awards?

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    I didn't see this addressed, but I might have missed it.
    I was going to start a Kirill Kaprizov set, but it seems that they aren't adding any new player sets?
    Or am I missing something 🤔?

Joe,

Direct quote from the Set Requests page (https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/setrequests):

Currently, we have an extensive backlog of set requests and with new requests actively being submitted, the number of requests in our backlog continued to grow. Therefore, for an undetermined time, the set request feature has been disabled.
    This will allow us to process the backlog of previously approved requests in a more efficient and timely manner. This page will update as previously approved requests are published and as we begin to process the backlog.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience as we work to improve our service.

Meanwhile, please list your collection(s) using the Collectors Showcase section of the Registry. The Collectors Showcase is home to some of the most special collections on the Registry. You can list your sets instantly and update them at your convenience. You can also browse and comment on other Showcases.

Thank you for your understanding. Please feel free to email us at setregistry@collectors.com if you have any questions.

I, too, am waiting for the day that set requests can again be submitted.

• Options

Thanks, that's what I thought.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

They really should push the registry on social media with legit prizes monthly and at the end of the year.