Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New vs Old TruView

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a coin that was sent to be re-holdered that previously had a TruView. Thought it would be interesting to see how the images compared. I wasn't expecting much seeing what was coming out after Phil left but was not expecting this.

Old:

New:

And here's a picture I took in the light.

Colors in hand aren't as bright the old TruView but there is not that yellow tint as seen in the new one (called white balance off or overexposed?). Sorry, not very knowledgeable in coin photography.

I wonder if PCGS can switch it back to the old one.

Young Numismatist/collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

hmmmm........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 1:51PM

Which image captures the coin?

I would not be critical of either image.

edited to add- terrific coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

"true" view

In hand

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Which image captures the coin?

I would not be critical of either image.

edited to add- terrific coin

The old TruView captures the colors more accurately although the colors aren't as bright in hand. Coin does not have the yellow tint showed in the new TruView.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the older one better.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    @lermish agree with everything you said but it's hard to take you seriously from behind bars :D

Shhh!!! Don't tell the warden!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't really want to do this, but here are my trueviews from March 2024 compared to my inhand photos and needless to say, I am not happy with the outcome. If I remember correctly Greg(Walkerguy21D) photos are of the Walkers and Joe(Crazyhounddog) photo'd the 21 Buff. Hopefully this is helpful as I'm preparing to send another 8 coins for grading and TV's.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, looks like the post-Phil photos have white balance issues, yikes. I thought Phil had staff working for him, and that after 15 years or so one of his successors could produce comparable quality.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

the top photo is juiced. just sayin

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are my photos of the 21 Buff. Orange juice is the only juice I am familiar with.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭✭

Have to be honest, other than the yellow tint I think those Trueviews are not bad at all. Compared with Manifest_Destiny's seated quarter which is washed out and lacks detail those walkers are sharp and look better than your "In Hand" photos. Just my opinion of course.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 7:36PM

I can add my 2 c's. I had a coin imaged by Phil when he headed PCGS. He sent me 5 photos. Many a few were gorgeous but did not accurately reflect reality, in fact no matter how I titled it in what light I had I could not match these Rembrandt like photos. I chose the photo that represented the coin accurately without trying to find that sweet spot angle. Needless to say thee photo I picked showed hokum toning because that was reality, didn't want to fool myself or there.
    I then had a long discussion with Phil regarding his photographing technique and in a nutshell he stated that consumers want their coins in the best possible light and if that means an unrealistic gorgeous photo so be it. That he was giving what the customer wanted. He was surprised I chose the mundane photo

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the new TV’s are inferior and show too much yellow/orange colors.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old TVs look better but I would never buy a coin based only on a TV which IMO is nothing more than a glamour shot.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old TV looks better to me. I would have to see the coin in hand to better judge the pics.
    VERY nice coin👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fluffy155 said:
    Have to be honest, other than the yellow tint I think those Trueviews are not bad at all…….

That’s like the reporter who interviewed Mrs. Lincoln at Ford’s Theater and asked, “So other than the assassination, how was the play?”

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to be a white balancing issue.

Of course you can adjust it at any time.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2024 8:05AM

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

When did Phil leave?

I have noticed recent things coming back, stuff that’s not even mine, but checking the true views just out of curiosity, and seeing that they are very lacking.

• Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

To echo @PocketChange and @lermish to a certain degree, my CU membership is lapsing at the end of the month and I too am having second thoughts on renewing, even though I have a decent size accumulation of pieces I would like to submit.

For me, one of meaningful reasons to submit to PCGS was the Digital Album format, and how nicely the Truview's fit into that system, as well as the Truview service more generally. If you kick out the leg of pleasant Truview's, the Digital album becomes much less alluring, and the PCGS service becomes more commoditized.

I will take things a tad further and acknowledge that Truviews and Digital Albums are really just 'add-on's' or features that PCGS added to enhance the collecting experience, and that the meat of the reason for using their service is adding liquidity to your coins. But even on that front, as Pocketchange's experience shows, a poor Truview product can actually become a liability and hurt liquidity/perceived value of your coin in the market place, whether it be that 1) you no longer have an image you feel comfortable using to represent the likeness of the coin or 2) a buyer proactively seeks out the image and finds an image at odds of however the owner has decided to showcase it.

I will most likely defer renewing my membership in the hopes a turn around can be demonstrated in a reasonable amount of time.

• Options

@asheland said:
    When did Phil leave?

I believe it was late last year.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2024 3:38PM

White Balance is way off and it's over-saturated. TrueViews are not worth the extra few dollars until PCGS gets the imaging deficit issues corrected.

These from my last submission: Totally unacceptable. Although the coin PCGS forgot to image and was resubmitted (they covered the cost) was right on. Last one shown.

Near perfect image:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

Yikes. This is really disappointing. :'( Guess I’ll hold off on that sub for a little while until it’s sorted. Neither the coins, nor our host are going anywhere.

Without trying too hard to assume facts not in evidence, wouldn’t this be a significant and exceptionally urgent issue for management? Perhaps a real pro is just that difficult to find, hire, and afford?

But now my other voice says, wouldn’t you spare all expense? This service is surely bringing home the bacon. I guess like everything else in the numismatic world - there are ALOT of variables.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real issue, in my opinion, is inconsistency. The old TrueViews might have been a bit over-glamorous at times, but a person could easily interpret them as the photography technique was reasonably consistent. Now, it seems to be all over the place.

This supports my position in another thread that their lead of photography should be a highly-compensated position.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file