Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

No Love Type Set

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

The recent discussion of no love coins made me wonder if a type set should be created for just the following odd amount coins?
half cent
two cent
three cent silver
three cent nickel
half dime
twenty cent
trade dollar
I always found those denominations interesting; but, not enough to put together a set.

No Love Type Set

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a special type set should be created for odd amount coins.

An obsolete denomination type set would be interesting and it's not like anyone would be forced to participate.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the half dime qualifies. Certainly, it's not a current denomination, but it was a much-used piece of commerce of its era just like the cent, dime, and quarter. It's just having been born after 1866 you are used to the nickel.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not another type set.

I would like to change my vote to yes. You can include the $3 gold coin although the Stella would price out too many people.

Most of those denominations are single type but there are obviously multiple half cents and half dimes that could add more difficulty.

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    I don't think the half dime qualifies. Certainly, it's not a current denomination, but it was a much-used piece of commerce of its era just like the cent, dime, and quarter. It's just having been born after 1866 you are used to the nickel.

The half dime is no longer made or used so I consider it to be an obsolete denomination.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP called it "Odd amounts" and it's not. Agreed it's an obsolete denom.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, why not. Who's going to create it?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:

Agee. Perhaps "obsolete denominations" would be more descriptive of what the OP is trying to accomplish.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would make a nice display, undoubtedly has been done.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

I assumed he was talking about a PCGS registry set so PCGS would have to create it.

• Options

Could add a $3 and remove the half dime. I see this as an educational set.

• Options

@oldabeintx said:

If you include gold coins, you will also have to add the $2.5, $5, $10, and $20.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@BStrauss3 said:

Agee. Perhaps "obsolete denominations" would be more descriptive of what the OP is trying to accomplish.

I have no problem with referring to them as obsolete denominations. As a boy they appealed to me as something special because they were different and such odd amounts. The three dollar gold is also in that category; but, expensive.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the pcgs list of denomination type sets.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@lilolme said:

But where is the Obsolete Denominations Type Set (A/K/A The No Love Type Set)?

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@oldabeintx said:

If you include gold coins, you will also have to add the $2.5, $5, $10, and $20.

I don't think of the other gold as odd. The reason I like the other odd examples as a set is that they were history's losers and have an interesting story behind them. More importantly, they have the wow factor for the uninitiated. They're "odd".

I might include fractionals or a $1.00 gold in such a set. A CW token, a Hard Times token, an incased postage stamp. And some cool colonials, and a large cent, and....

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I assumed he was talking about a PCGS registry set so PCGS would have to create it.

Oh, I thought maybe some type of album. Like a Dansco or something.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

The “obsolete denomination” is perfect. If used, the H10C would have to be included. The $4 Stella? So few of these & for most, not obtainable. There happens to be one for sale by DLRC - a 1879 PR64CAM for the princely sum of $197500! Offers accepted!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I think it would be fine, Why not, did anyone complain when PCGS offered the 2 and 3 cent type set? If not, why would it bother anyone now. If you don't like the type set, then don't bother with it. Not like anyone is forcing anybody to participate.
    JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could ask dansco/whitman about doing something about that, just a thought here

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2024 12:47PM

These coins are part of the full type set, so I have them. I really like these coins, so buying them was not a chore.

The 19th century type coins that really got tiresome for me are the 1873-4 With Arrows dime, quarter and half dollar. I wanted to complete my set, so I bought them, but they are at the bottom of my list so far as interesting.

For me they are both expensive and boring. It's sort of like few courses I had to take in college, but didn't really want to take.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    An obsolete denomination type set would be interesting and it's not like anyone would be forced to participate.

I have enjoyed putting my obsolete coin set together.

@OAKSTAR said:

Already done.

https://coins.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=33031

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@DisneyFan said:

@lilolme said:

I did not say nor did I imply that the obsolete denomination set was in the current pcgs list of denomination type sets. I was simply listing them for information on what is currently there. Useful or not.

Here is the link to where one can request a pcgs registry set and information about approval and time frames. Useful or not.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/setrequests

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@oldabeintx said:

The idea for this poll came from the earlier No Love thread. Every body loves gold!

• Options

@rnkmyer1 said:
    The “obsolete denomination” is perfect. If used, the H10C would have to be included. The $4 Stella? So few of these & for most, not obtainable. There happens to be one for sale by DLRC - a 1879 PR64CAM for the princely sum of $197500! Offers accepted!

If you drop the two zeros, I just might be able to spring for one,

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm game for another type set since I probably have all the coins in my other type sets :)

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@PerryHall said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Already done.

**It seems that PCGS is a little behind, MAYBE someone one on here will SEE THIS and get it done!

@lilolme said:

@DisneyFan said:

@lilolme said:

I did not say nor did I imply that the obsolete denomination set was in the current pcgs list of denomination type sets. I was simply listing them for information on what is currently there. Useful or not.

Here is the link to where one can request a pcgs registry set and information about approval and time frames. Useful or not.

I'm still waiting for sets that I/we requested YEARS AGO!

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@coinbuf said:

@PerryHall said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Already done.

**It seems that PCGS is a little behind, MAYBE someone one on here will SEE THIS and get it done!

@lilolme said:

@DisneyFan said:

@lilolme said:

I'm still waiting for sets that I/we requested YEARS AGO!

If you are building a set that is not in the Set Registry, you can request that it be added by using the PCGS New Set Request form.
    Please note: At this time, we are temporarily not adding new U.S. Registry composites

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2024 6:00AM

@BillJones said:
    These coins are part of the full type set, so I have them. I really like these coins, so buying them was not a chore.

The 19th century type coins that really got tiresome for me are the 1873-4 With Arrows dime, quarter and half dollar. I wanted to complete my set, so I bought them, but they are at the bottom of my list so far as interesting.

For me they are both expensive and boring. It's sort of like few courses I had to take in college, but didn't really want to take.

Agreed. I never liked the "arrows" types, only the arrows and rays. Way too many minor seated types. For me, seated types would just be 3 each. No stars, stars, legend for half dimes and dimes. No motto, arrows & rays, and motto for quarters and halves and maybe make the no motto coins also no drapery to add interest.

• Options

As far as type, generally the more the merrier. I’ve added a number of types to the traditional list as I’m sure many have, and ignored a few (wire edge, really?). I do get it that some types are pretty redundant and in a competitive environment one needs limits and rules to follow. To each his own otherwise.

• Options

NICE! How much?> @2windy2fish said:

• Options

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Great idea...and why not go all the way? It would be an absolute monster, and would make almost every collector's eyes bug-out of their heads (whether the like odd demonizations or not).

The whole set consists of 23 coins:

**half cent **

• 1793 = T1
    • 1794 = T2
    • 1795-97 = T3
    • 1800 = T4
    • 1802-08 = T5
    • 1809-32 = T6
    • 1849-57 = T7
      two cent
      three cent silver

• 1851-53 = T1

• 1853-57 = T2
    • 1858-59 = T3
      three cent nickel
      half dime

• 1792 = T1 (Half Disme)

• 1794-95 = T2
    • 1796-1805 = T3
    • 1829-37 = T4
    • 1837-38 = T5
    • 1838-40 = T6
    • 1940-59 = T7
    • 1853-55 = T8
    • 1860-73 = T9
      twenty cent
      trade dollar

Now you are swimming at the deep end of the pool.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great idea...and why not go all the way? It would be an absolute monster, and would make almost every collector's eyes bug-out of their heads (whether the like odd demonizations or not).

**half cent **

• 1793 = T1
    • 1794 = T2
    • 1795-97 = T3
    • 1800 = T4
    • 1802-08 = T5
    • 1809-32 = T6
    • 1849-57 = T7
      two cent
      three cent silver

• 1851-53 = T1

• 1853-57 = T2
    • 1858-59 = T3
      three cent nickel
      half dime

• 1792 = T1 (Half Disme)

• 1794-95 = T2
    • 1796-1805 = T3
    • 1829-37 = T4
    • 1837-38 = T5
    • 1838-40 = T6
    • 1940-59 = T7
    • 1853-55 = T8
    • 1860-73 = T9
      twenty cent
      trade dollar

I thought about a Denominations Box of 20, but this is Next Level... and well out of my league... at least the 1792 half disme and the '93 half cent...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for quoting me... I went back to fix the bold on the "Half Cents" and POOF - Gone! You saved me from having to re-type it all :)

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't consider any of the coins in OP "unloved". With any scarcity and/or high quality, not cheap. Only cheaper vs. (most) other US types,

• Options

@alaura22 said:

It was a really simple and fun little set to put together, I think you and many others would enjoy putting one together, plus it would be a great intro to type sets for new collectors.

I'm currently working on another fun new type set that I saw mentioned by a forum member a few months back, just need one more coin to complete that one.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

**half cent **

• 1793 = T1
    • 1794 = T2
    • 1795-97 = T3
    • 1800 = T4
    • 1802-08 = T5
    • 1809-32 = T6
    • 1849-57 = T7
      two cent
      three cent silver

• 1851-53 = T1

• 1853-57 = T2
    • 1858-59 = T3
      three cent nickel
      half dime

• 1792 = T1 (Half Disme)

• 1794-95 = T2
    • 1796-1805 = T3
    • 1829-37 = T4
    • 1837-38 = T5
    • 1838-40 = T6
    • 1940-59 = T7
    • 1853-55 = T8
    • 1860-73 = T9
      twenty cent
      trade dollar

I like the idea but I have a few questions:
    Why do you have the 1800 half cent alone? it should be
    1800-1808
    and why did you add the trade dollar?
    And I have 10 half dimes not 9 as you show
    I guess we can put it together as we all see fit but would like PCGS to make this set and add it to their type sets
    I would be 5 coins short at this point

@coinbuf said:

@alaura22 said:

It was a really simple and fun little set to put together, I think you and many others would enjoy putting one together, plus it would be a great intro to type sets for new collectors.

******I'm currently working on another fun new type set that I saw mentioned by a forum member a few months back, just need one more coin to complete that one.

What is the other set you're working on???
    Would like to see that one as well

• Options
    edited April 17, 2024 9:37AM

@alaura22 said:
    1800-1808
    I guess we can put it together as we all see fit but would like PCGS to make this set and add it to their type sets

On the 1800 Half Cent, this is a one-year type. The Reverse of the 1800-1802T1 is that of a wreath where laurel leaves pion to each other. On the 1802T2-1808, they point slightly upward. So, if we are considering the fact that a different hub = different type... this would qualify.

Note: Some argue that the 1794 low and high relief are different types (because they look so different), but they were made with the same hub - therefore they are the same type.

On the half dimes - I think we need to unpack that to see where the discrepancies are. Full disclosure, I know MUCH less about half dimes than I do about half cents :)

The trade dollar was a coin I just carried through from the OP. It may be debatable to say they get "no love".

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭

What about $3 gold. Isn't this an "odd" type coin?

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭

$4 stella

• Options

@CRHer700 said:
    What about $3 gold. Isn't this an "odd" type coin?

The idea for this poll came from the earlier No Love thread. Every body loves gold!

• Options

@tcollects said:
    $4 stella

But you said you don't want another type set....

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@tcollects said:
    $4 stella

But you said you don't want another type set....

well if I had to, I'd need a stella

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at $3 Gold for my Business strike type set... they're at least realistic in my price range/pocketbook... $4 Stella... I'd be looking to "dumpster dive" in a Simi Valley landfill because I'd never be able to afford one!

..That... and it's a Proof... no? :wink:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@alaura22 said:
    1800-1808

On the 1800 Half Cent, this is a one-year type. The Reverse of the 1800-1802T1 is that of a wreath where laurel leaves pion to each other. On the 1802T2-1808, they point slightly upward. So, if we are considering the fact that a different hub = different type... this would qualify.

Note: Some argue that the 1794 low and high relief are different types (because they look so different), but they were made with the same hub - therefore they are the same type.

On the half dimes - I think we need to unpack that to see where the discrepancies are. Full disclosure, I know MUCH less about half dimes than I do about half cents :)

The trade dollar was a coin I just carried through from the OP. It may be debatable to say they get "no love".

I am going to take a wild guess :) and say the difference on the half dime is the draped bust (1796 - 1805) with a small eagle reverse and large eagle reverse. This is a notable variety also for the dime, quarter, half and dollar.

The half cent in the other denomination sets does not have that noted reverse change as a type. Does not mean one could not make it so but would be different from others. See below. Also why not do the Stems / No Stems (from coinfacts this looks different for the 1/200 also and not just stems). I think both of these are too much.

While this set might turn head or whatever, it also takes out probably 95% plus of the collectors due to cost and/or interest. While many who specialize in say half cent or half dime might want more, when one goes to the different denominations many would not be interested in this more specialized set (and again cost thing).

On the opposite end. In some of the design type sets (and era type sets), they just contain one of each. Again see below for examples. This might interest more collectors and definitely be more affordable.
    Also can do with gold or No Gold as noted on the one below.

• Options

@alaura22 said:
    1800-1808

I'm still out on the 1800-1801 half cent since none of the current type sets acknowledge that this is a separate type, but I'll investigate it.

Here is what I have for the half dimes:

Bust Half Disme 1792
    Flowing Hair Half Dime 1794-1795
    Draped Bust Half Dime Small Eagle 1796-1797
    Draped Bust Half Dime Large Eagle 1800-1805
    Capped Bust Half Dime 1829-1837
    Liberty Seated Half Dime No Stars 1837-1838
    Liberty Seated Half Dime No Drapery 1838-1840
    Liberty Seated Half Dime Drapery 1840-1859
    Liberty Seated Half Dime Arrows 1853-1855
    Liberty Seated Half Dime Legend 1860-1873
    All of these are recognized in the current type sets
    The trade dollar is out for me, don't think it would be part of this un-loved set
    Look forward for comments

• Options

I welcome the disagreement on the 1800 half cent being a one-year type. Certainly all can collect as they wish. But, if your definition of type is based on being from the same hub, they are different types. The 1800-1802T2 are using one hub, and the 1802T2-1808 use another.

• Options

sorry for the double post... but, here is a YouTube Video that may help. I know veteran collectors love YouTube, but trust me on this one. This is a CoinWeek presentation from Bill Eckberg, ex-President of EAC. The guy really knows his half cents.

The topic is..."Collecting a Half Cent Type Set."

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PY1GvrxaQss&t=687s

• Options

@alaura22 said:
    What is the other set you're working on???
    Would like to see that one as well

I'll post it up once I find that final coin. :)

My Lincoln Registry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file