Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strange back of penny

Has anyone seen a penny with a back like this?

Comments

• Options

Yes I have. I have no idea tho.
    What it is

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Derek4949 said:
    Yes I have. I have no idea tho.
    What it is

Heh

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need the other half to be a Prestidigitator. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I used to have one just like it and that's what I was told it was.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Psu7685 said:
    Has anyone seen a penny with a back like this?

How did you acquire it? Under what pretenses was it sold to you?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a thread with video on the 'magic' coin making. Might see some similarities.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1076369/the-making-of-a-magicians-coin

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

They been around for many years

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭

Have seen that numerous times on the various coin forums. That is only 1/2 of the
    Magicians coin. Sometimes a dime may be milled and inserted or the head of another
    cent to make a two headed cent. No value unless you want to keep it as a novelty.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2024 5:19PM

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭✭

hollowed-out by Russian spies for sending chips & messages during the Cold War & beyond. Usually under the cover of being "magicians"! ;)

• Options

Back in my law enforcement adjacent years there was apprehended a user with an Ike similar to this in which he kept a few of baggies of heroin. The arresting officer was an amateur, albeit just knowledgeable enough, coin collector. When he emptied dude’s pockets the dollar caught his eye.

It was the mid-90’s but even then you didn’t the old General getting around too much. Out of innocent curiosity he looked deeper at the coin and noticed something wasn’t quite right.

Eventually when the case was over he “requisitioned” the Ike from property and kept in framed at his desk when he transferred to CID in the well earned position of detective.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file