Options

Are these Graded Correctly?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@USA_Bullion_and_Coin said:
    I am 17 the reason I said 19 was because you need to say you're 18 to have a youtube channel. Everyone here is acting like im a james bond villian and a master con artist. It's kind of funny. I think I am going to leave the forum because it is more of an annoyance than a help.

I don’t think you’re a master con artist (or a James Bond villain) but lying about your age is yet another fib on your list.

He's the perfect Bond villain.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2024 7:03PM

@JBK said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales
    From what I can find the first time the age of 17 is mentioned was by lermish on Mar, 29th in the thread about the selling of the OPs 1878-P Morgan Dollar. But it could have came from the thread where he promoted his "grading service" but that is just my guess as that thread is gone.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1102141/looking-to-sell-or-trade-this-morgan-dollar#latest

Based on his hands and voice, he's young. 17 or 20, I neither know nor care. I can see the rain to fudge higher. But I'm really not that interested in trying to sort it out.

The important thing is that he's your new protégé. Good luck! :D

I didn't exactly sign up for that job. I gave him some advice. He can take it or not.

Stop trying to disavow your new protégé.

He is the Eliza Doolittle to your Henry Higgins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmADMB2utAo

Nonsense. In fact, @yspsales threw my name out so I tried to help.

I actually find him less bothersome than some other forum members. He has his issues but he is not rude, insulting or argumentative. [And, ironically, was criticized for NOT being argumentative. Lol]

You're gaslighting.

He was not criticized for not arguing. That trait was simply noted as one among several that reminded a poster of his grifting family member.

No, I'm not. Pick the nit however you want. If you tell me the fact that he didn't argue is evidence he's a con man, I call that a criticism. YMMV

Frankly, he strikes me as perhaps being on the spectrum. But y'all smell blood in the water so keep this thread alive.

• Options

@NewEnglandRarities said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales
    From what I can find the first time the age of 17 is mentioned was by lermish on Mar, 29th in the thread about the selling of the OPs 1878-P Morgan Dollar. But it could have came from the thread where he promoted his "grading service" but that is just my guess as that thread is gone.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1102141/looking-to-sell-or-trade-this-morgan-dollar#latest

Based on his hands and voice, he's young. 17 or 20, I neither know nor care. I can see the rain to fudge higher. But I'm really not that interested in trying to sort it out.

I didn't exactly sign up for that job. I gave him some advice. He can take it or not.

I actually find him less bothersome than some other forum members. He has his issues but he is not rude, insulting or argumentative. [And, ironically, was criticized for NOT being argumentative. Lol]

He’s right you know. The problem with being devils advocate on EVERY post is that you now have to stick up for this behavior. This is not my kind of normal post but you asked for it (by your constant arguing the other side)….you get it

Edited to add: I also tried to help this person. But as a dealer for 30 years, my efforts were “rejected”. Enough of this person is the obvious and easy choice. Young or not, person needs to leave here and reset.

Odd. I'm not playing Devil's Advocate nor sticking up for his behavior. I was asked to help, I tried. I asked the forum to cut him some slack because he's a kid. That's nothing but good manners to me.

But, you do you.

• Options

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales

I didn't exactly sign up for that job.

You know what they say: "Once a protégé, always a protégé". You can't take on the mantle of mentorship and then simply chuck it away.

Besides, you'll enjoy it. ;)

I didn't. @yspsales asked me to give him some advice. I did so privately. You're the one who keeps up the protégé nonsense. But, whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

News flash / if u wanting to know if your grading is in the ballpark - send them to our hosts.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales

He’s right you know. The problem with being devils advocate on EVERY post is that you now have to stick up for this behavior. This is not my kind of normal post but you asked for it (by your constant arguing the other side)….you get it

Edited to add: I also tried to help this person. But as a dealer for 30 years, my efforts were “rejected”. Enough of this person is the obvious and easy choice. Young or not, person needs to leave here and reset.

Odd. I'm not playing Devil's Advocate nor sticking up for his behavior. I was asked to help, I tried. I asked the forum to cut him some slack because he's a kid. That's nothing but good manners to me.

But, you do you.

Are you kidding? You are ALWAYS playing the Devil's Advocate! You certainly have the right to an opinion, but I have a hard time believing that you are sincere by always taking the contrary view to whatever is being discussed. In this case, we have a new member that lied his a$$ off, was banned, reincarnated himself with another username... and you somehow defended it as youthful indiscretion.
    Cmon man! 😆
    It is quite obvious that this "kid" needs more than a mentor.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited April 8, 2024 3:45AM

@DCW said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales

But, you do you.

Are you kidding? You are ALWAYS playing the Devil's Advocate! You certainly have the right to an opinion, but I have a hard time believing that you are sincere by always taking the contrary view to whatever is being discussed. In this case, we have a new member that lied his a$$ off, was banned, reincarnated himself with another username... and you somehow defended it as youthful indiscretion.
    Cmon man! 😆

Not true. You only notice when I disagree. You will find that my stances are consistent and predictable. That is the not what a Devil's Advocate would be doing. For example, I always defend eBay. That's a belief not a posture.

Everyone needs a mentor. I don't know that I would say I defended him. I did suggest we give him a second chance after he "came clean" because he is a kid. And I stand by that. That's not the same as excusing or defending bad behavior.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@DCW said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales

But, you do you.

Cmon man! 😆

Not true. You only notice when I disagree. You will find that my stances are consistent and predictable. That is the not what a Devil's Advocate would be doing. For example, I always defend eBay. That's a belief not a posture.

Everyone needs a mentor. I don't know that I would say I defended him. I did suggest we give him a second chance after he "came clean" because he is a kid. And I stand by that. That's not the same as excusing or defending bad behavior.

You see?! You're even disagreeing now! :D

I'm kidding. Have a good morning @jmlanzaf

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to admit one is wrong and mistakes have been made.

That is the tuition we all pay.

Once he can grasp the coin purchase mistakes and the grading company pipe dream he will clear the first two hurdles.

With all of these new guy threads, I am just a cheerleader trying to encourage efficient use of resources and time management based on my past mistakes.

Would like to see a sticky thread on a Numismatic degree program. ANA has ditched theirs it seems (or else it is well hidden).

I remember a thread or a video from one of the OG's or a dealer that had designed a Numismatic degree path.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852?Year=2003&take=50

Top 10 mistakes Made by Beginning Coin Collectors.

Video hosted by expert Don Bonser on grading, learning to grade etccc

Newman Numismatic Portal is a great source of Coin related videos

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭

This kind of list reminds me of my own collection list 30 years ago when I was 13. I over graded everything I had (was doing colonials back then too!). It was just lack of knowledge and lack of appreciation of how “issues” with coins affected the overall grade and value of a coin.

However, the enormous difference is that it is too easy today to make a website and a YouTube video under the impression that the presenter is ACTUALLY a knowledgeable and respected company. Someone seeing my list 30 years ago would chalk it up to a beginner young collector, today for $9 you can literally make a website using a template and make it look like a website that would have cost 30-50k+ 10-15 years ago. This is what the OP does not understand and the more of these kind of “websites/internet info” like this, the more damaging it is overall to the hobby itself

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I stand by my last post to the Finn account. SCREAMS of fraud. My master con nephew acts the same way. When caught in a lie deftly move on to the next question. Never get mad or insulted. Notice how member yspsales made a very generous offer to help him with what he is suppose to be here for but just ignores?
    I would not assume this person is an actual teen but then their are teen con men too so makes little difference. This person is here to mine information. They have allready shown they have no ethics so it is your best guess what they intend to do with whatever information they can get. James

Nailed it.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

The apparent fraud continues and even expands. The absurd disclaimers on his website do not absolve him.

• Options

@JBK said:
    The apparent fraud continues and even expands. The absurd disclaimers on his website do not absolve him.

I'm not sure it's "fraud" to pretend to have a grading company and grade your own coins. But he has a lot to learn... about life.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I stand by my last post to the Finn account. SCREAMS of fraud. My master con nephew acts the same way. When caught in a lie deftly move on to the next question. Never get mad or insulted. Notice how member yspsales made a very generous offer to help him with what he is suppose to be here for but just ignores?
    I would not assume this person is an actual teen but then their are teen con men too so makes little difference. This person is here to mine information. They have allready shown they have no ethics so it is your best guess what they intend to do with whatever information they can get. James

Nailed it, indeed. The only other observation I would add is the tactic of always playing the innocent.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am 17 the reason I said 19 was because you need to say you're 18 to have a youtube channel. Everyone here is acting like im a james bond villian and a master con artist. It's kind of funny. I think I am going to leave the forum because it is more of an annoyance than a help.

I guess you will be leaving the forums, whether you like it or not.

You are in violation of:

Rule # 7
    No alt, alternative or spare accounts. One account per member, no exceptions.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭

I feel I need to break my silence not for my self but for you guys. First, I don't get what's wrong with anything I am doing. I have been learning really quick and I am putting in the work. So what if I want my coins in slabs. That's up for me to decide. Secondly, the integration of new grading platform that you all say is a waste of time will be what separates me from all the other collectors and I do plan on building it. I love this hobby but it lacks creative and innovative minds. Additionally, the only regret I have is the false pretenses of finnscoin which I admit was wrong and that I have apologized for but other than that I have no regrets and have learned a tremendous amount about grading and the hobby from this forum. Lastly I find it ironic how my biggest haters are also the ones that pay the most attention to me as if they have nothing else to do than keep tabs on me but I will prove them wrong. Give me a few years and I will have a grading service with over 1000 entries and a bustling coin business.
    I'll post again when I achieve these goals.
    Finn out.

I think the "hate" is more directed to your behavior than you personally. It's helpful to discourage others who might think your approach is okay. The thing that isn't sinking in is that you only have one reputation in the coin business and it's easy to ruin. You're either on the edge, or you've already compromised this crucial asset. You need to be teachable. You've got good advice about how to correct course, but you've plowed ahead anyway. If you took this advice, you could show your open mindedness and turn your bad uninformed start into a forgivable youthful correction. You also got a great offer for a free summer seminar grading course - a very generous and thoughtful offer - and you turned it down. That's where you can learn to grade from former graders. You should want to do that. It's baffling that you'd reject that offer.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Want to learn and redeem yourself ? Send a sample of your best few coins to PCGS and a few to the boys ATS at NGC or CACG, or ICG or ANACS. ....and put your grading prowess ( or belief in it ) to the test. Then, come back and celebrate. The alignment.
    I can only speak for me, but am the furthest from "haters". Seriously we care or the candle wouldn't be lit and the light wouldn't be shining.
    Remember: Actions speak louder than words !
    However: Trust is earned because everybody hates the truth. Oxymoronic, don't you think ? Haters hate the truth. This place only exists to lead to the Coin Facts.
    Don't you think that's true ?

• Options

• Options

@yspsales said:
    My only dislike is all this enthusiasm and effort is directed in the wrong direction.

You were given advice by a numismatic HOF'er and a seasoned dealer. Two you could have used as a sounding board going forward.

You got to cut losses and move on from $ mistakes and bad decisions.

You just keep digging.

You hope to be a dealer. You got two jobs. Learn the basics about coins and make as many real dealer connections as possible.

Quit trying to be the expert on your YT channel. Use it to grow as a student of the craft.

This is really the point.

No one will want to do business with someone who is pretending to be something he's not.

He will never have a grading company because he doesn't even recognize what they are. They aren't slab factories that seal coins in plastic. They provide guarantees, which he is refusing to do. They also use a seasoned grading TEAM.

I still think he's just a kid who may have a social disorder so I remain sympathetic to his journey. Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten much easier from his sojourn here.

• Options
    edited April 15, 2024 7:46AM

I am signing up for ANA grading class ll this afternoon.

If knucklehead can make it to GreenvilleSC in October for grading class I, my offer still stands.

Outta here... see ya when I see ya

My coin skills would allow me to start dealing next week.

My limitations are dealer connections, time to commit, and sources for materials.

This is a people referral business under the banner of coins.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the overall strike of a coin is the best you can find for the date, always keep looking for a better struck coin. The continued search and comparing before your own eyes is the only way you'll ever know if you've got something more special than the last coin/find. Especially when the time spent searching gets longer and longer between finds.
    And don't ever make the mistake expecting others to see/understand what you have spent more time on than most out there/other collectors because they're just not going to have the learned knowledge you have learned from all the time you have in a series.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give me a few years and I will have a grading service with over 1000 entries and a bustling coin business.

Finn out.

Goal #1 is to learn how to grade, which you clearly are not even close to have mastered.

• Options

I know Finn/USB has got seemingly a lot of "attacks" here. I have never seen this group ever "attack" a beginner/novice who asks questions, sees something different, etc (minus an obvious troll). The only time that happens is after the same poster posts every single pocket change piece for years, without learning anything, yeah it weighs on the group. In this case though, young/middle aged/elderly would be responded to the same way with the information we know about this. While it may be an innocent thought, the ACTIONS and the words used by OP were noticed very quickly by many here. Like coins, we need to step back sometimes and really take an unbiased view to make sure our eyes are right. Doing that with this approach, well...!? When I was a youngster and started in coins, I shut my mouth and learned, and when I wanted to talk (in my teenager years) I knew I had to be more knowledgable than the "expert adults" I was talking to, or else I wouldn't even be heard.

It is very easy to dismiss a genuine new collector with a troll. But, in general, the words and attempted actions by a new member tells us what we need to know. Even if good intentioned, good intentions have caused great travesties over history in all sorts of categories, as those "good intentions" are done with no knowledge/research/understanding of the consequences. The consequences have happened unfortunately for the OP. It is unlikely he will ever be without "drama" no matter how far they get with knowledge/coins/etc. Just my two cents. It takes very little to destroy a reputation, but decades to have a respected one!

• Options

I feel I need to break my silence not for my self but for you guys. First, I don't get what's wrong with anything I am doing. I have been learning really quick and I am putting in the work. So what if I want my coins in slabs. That's up for me to decide. Secondly, the integration of new grading platform that you all say is a waste of time will be what separates me from all the other collectors and I do plan on building it. I love this hobby but it lacks creative and innovative minds. Additionally, the only regret I have is the false pretenses of finnscoin which I admit was wrong and that I have apologized for but other than that I have no regrets and have learned a tremendous amount about grading and the hobby from this forum. Lastly I find it ironic how my biggest haters are also the ones that pay the most attention to me as if they have nothing else to do than keep tabs on me but I will prove them wrong. Give me a few years and I will have a grading service with over 1000 entries and a bustling coin business.
    Finn out.

With my post above. This sounds like admitting to a "wrongdoing" but then saying, Ive never done anything else but this, so I should be forgiven. Im sorry, I just don't think that is how life works. You say that you "do not get whats wrong with anything you are doing". Well, the threads have told you exactly why what you are doing is wrong.

• Options

Too many deluded people anymore, I don’t feed ‘em anymore..

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully a moderator will put this insane thread out of its' misery and close it permanently.

• Options
    edited April 15, 2024 1:51PM

@erscolo said:
    Hopefully a moderator will put this insane thread out of its' misery and close it permanently.

Not so fast; there are still more memes to make. ;)

• Options

• Options

• Options

@erscolo said:

Sometimes you gotta do, what you gotta do.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Are these Graded Correctly?

No.

• Options

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@erscolo said:

Sometimes you gotta do, what you gotta do.

Oh, that still hurts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file