Are these Graded Correctly?

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USA_Bullion_and_Coin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Where did that Proof seated half come from? It looks fake.

My LCS. I don't think it's fake.

You bought it as a cameo proof????

It was raw.

But labeled a cameo proof? Raw or not, dealers or grades on things.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@yspsales said:
    If PCGS will grant a pardon...
    If you can with hold from schilling third world slabs...
    If you join and attend monthly, one or more coin clubs...
    If you volunteer/work for a couple local show dealer or promoters
    If you are still standing by January 2025

I will pay for your Beginning and Intermediate grading seminar courses

Why the rules? Get used to it. This will be your life in a dealer career path in numismatics. All consuming. All in.

I wouldn't even know where to start with most of this stuff

Start at the very beginning... it's a very fine place to start.

Join a club.
    Attend a coin show.
    Take it from there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drnBMAEA3AM

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

The plot thickens....this alt ID was actually created two days before the other ID got banned.

FinnsCoins banned on March 25,
    USA_Bullion_and_Coin created on March 23

So he had two IDs at the same time. He posted as Finn to promote the grading service, and the grading service ID was presumably to promote itself at some point.

Maybe his other banning wasn't related to behavior but rather to having two IDs? 🤔

• Options
    KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin I am new to the coin world particularly when it comes to numismatics just like you. I am certainly no expert, but I agree with all the things that the experts here are saying. I don't know if you put those coins into basement slabs in blind good faith, or just because you wanted a quick buck, but I don't think you're gonna receive positive reception if you sell them in those slabs at a show. I don't say this to be rude but I think you have a lot to learn and you're going about it the wrong way. I think you should spend a few years researching everything you can about coins before you try to get serious about selling them. I'm in my early twenties and there's a few people I know that are younger than me that know a lot about coins and they have been successful at making a bit of money through selling coins on auction apps like Whatnot. Although they're younger than me they have been into coins for far longer than me. This forum is a great resource because it is used by some of the smartest numismatists in the world. I don't know if you understand forum culture but evading bans and creating sock accounts is very frowned upon. I'm personally not going to report you, because I enjoy interacting with other YNs.

• Options
    KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@Constantine said:

@JBK said:
    The plot thickens....this alt ID was actually created two days before the other ID got banned.

So he had two IDs at the same time. He posted as Finn to promote the grading service, and the grading service ID was presumably to promote itself at some point.

Maybe his other banning wasn't related to behavior but rather to having two IDs? 🤔

FinnsCoins - Hi fellow numismatists, I am setting up at a show and have a dealer table for $65. I would like your input on these coins that I will have for sale. I submitted them to the most premier and elite coin grading service, United States Bullion and Coin. Only cost me $10. One coin in particular, I would like to show you is my most precious Mercury dime which came back as 66 FB and valued on their Google spreadsheet as $25,000 dollars! I am so happy with their service and would like to thank them!

USA_Bullion_and_Coin - Hello FinnsCoins, we appreciate your business and happy to hear that you are pleased with our accurate and trustworthy grading service. While we have been around for only 3 days and and you are our are only submitter, please note that our snaps are the most snappy in the industry. Sincerely, Finn —excuse me, The United States Bullion.

🤣 Did he actually post that last quote? I couldn't find it when looking at his account. If so, he's already blown his cover, since he's mentioned that @FinnsCoin is really him. If he's actually using this new account to try to promote those basement slabs than this whole situation has become a lot crazier.

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

@KiwiNumi said:

@Constantine said:

@JBK said:

FinnsCoins - Hi fellow numismatists, I am setting up at a show and have a dealer table for $65. I would like your input on these coins that I will have for sale. I submitted them to the most premier and elite coin grading service, United States Bullion and Coin. Only cost me $10. One coin in particular, I would like to show you is my most precious Mercury dime which came back as 66 FB and valued on their Google spreadsheet as $25,000 dollars! I am so happy with their service and would like to thank them!

USA_Bullion_and_Coin - Hello FinnsCoins, we appreciate your business and happy to hear that you are pleased with our accurate and trustworthy grading service. While we have been around for only 3 days and and you are our are only submitter, please note that our snaps are the most snappy in the industry. Sincerely, Finn —excuse me, The United States Bullion.

🤣 Did he actually post that last quote? I couldn't find it when looking at his account. If so, he's already blown his cover, since he's mentioned that @FinnsCoin is really him. If he's actually using this new account to try to promote those basement slabs than this whole situation has become a lot crazier.

No, he did not write that verbatim. I summarized myself 😀but it’s basically what he said/meant or where he was headed.

• Options

@Constantine said:

@KiwiNumi said:

@Constantine said:

@JBK said:

No, he did not write that verbatim. I summarized myself 😀but it’s basically what he said/meant or where he was headed.

Not accurate.

• Options

@Constantine said:

@KiwiNumi said:

@Constantine said:

@JBK said:

Not accurate.

You absolutely did plug your own grading service while posting under FinnsCoin, and you only confessed that it was yours after being confronted with evidence of your transgression.

You are on very thin ice and I think I hear cracking noises....

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Constantine said:

@KiwiNumi said:

@Constantine said:

@JBK said:

Not accurate.

You absolutely did plug your own grading service while posting under FinnsCoin, and you only confessed that it was yours after being confronted with evidence of your transgression.

I don’t disagree with you. But it was inappropriate, confusing and extra pot-stirring for someone to “summarize” by pretending that he was quoting someone when he wasn’t.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I stand by my last post to the Finn account. SCREAMS of fraud. My master con nephew acts the same way. When caught in a lie deftly move on to the next question. Never get mad or insulted. Notice how member yspsales made a very generous offer to help him with what he is suppose to be here for but just ignores?
    I would not assume this person is an actual teen but then their are teen con men too so makes little difference. This person is here to mine information. They have allready shown they have no ethics so it is your best guess what they intend to do with whatever information they can get. James

• Options

@MFeld said:

@JBK said:

@Constantine said:

@KiwiNumi said:

@Constantine said:

@JBK said:

Not accurate.

I don’t disagree with you. But it was inappropriate, confusing and extra pot-stirring for someone to “summarize” by pretending that he was quoting someone when he wasn’t.

Maybe it's because I already knew the whole story, but the parody didn't fool me for one minute. It contained enough hyperbole and nonsensical rhetoric that no one should have taken it seriously, and it summarized the absurd reality pretty humorously.

But, that's just my take on it. Others are free to be offended.ad they see fit. :)

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

He asked for my email address since he knows his time here is limited.

(Now regretting) telling him @jmlanzaf would be a better mentor in the dealer realm.

The path forward is pretty simple.
    Not a dealer, but my to do list is pretty standard.
    The rock stars will shine and leap ahead.
    Been at this for nearly thirty years, and there are no shortcuts.

How many hours of practice do I think Jordan or Kobe practiced for one hour of play... 10 to 1?

Same experience when I was a wedding photographer... it was easily 3 hours of prep and post processing for every hour of actual shooting (Not including the free jobs for networking).

These parking lot and juvenile threads are a great time suck and I regret my involvement.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck if you get involved @yspsales. He has played himself as a novice seeking guidance but also as a master grader opening a new grading service. He seems to have some coins but at the same time seems to know very little about his own coins. He is fixated on gaining information on specific coins and what makes them special but my guess he is more interested in the buzz words used rather than the actual information. Good cons always use some truths and he also seems to need to know about grading service turn around times.
    Really seems to need this info fast so my guess is he allready has the mark picked out. james

• Options

The series of books Mega Red books cover almost every series across 9 editions.

They show, with color overlays, the high and low points.

Strike is so important.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭

Everybody why waste any time or explanation. Just hit the flag button and the moderator will hopefully take care of it#.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

What were the grades you purchased the coins before you placed them in your homemade "slabs?" That will give you an idea if you are outta your mind!

Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

When I see a 1945 Philly mercury dime with full bands and surfaces that look that way, first I’m wondering if the coin is even legit. 1945 Philly mercury dimes are one of the hardest to get with full bands and the pitting on the surface looks like there was a transfer die made to counterfeit the coin.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I stand by my last post to the Finn account. SCREAMS of fraud. My master con nephew acts the same way. When caught in a lie deftly move on to the next question. Never get mad or insulted. Notice how member yspsales made a very generous offer to help him with what he is suppose to be here for but just ignores?

I get that vibe also.

• Options

@olympicsos said:
    When I see a 1945 Philly mercury dime with full bands and surfaces that look that way, first I’m wondering if the coin is even legit. 1945 Philly mercury dimes are one of the hardest to get with full bands and the pitting on the surface looks like there was a transfer die made to counterfeit the coin.

The coin doesn’t have full bands and it looks like a genuine, low-value example.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I would not assume this person is an actual teen but then their are teen con men too so makes little difference. This person is here to mine information. They have allready shown they have no ethics so it is your best guess what they intend to do with whatever information they can get. James

I think this is spot on

• Options

He has been given a GPS roadmap.

It has been only a week or so, but where has he shown progress?

He shared with me that he approached a dealer about working for them.

Needs to keep asking and find a club or two.

Be the rockstar of your local coin club.

Be seen as a hard worker and trustworthy and people will line up to help the kid.

Giving the benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2024 7:23AM

@yspsales said:

He's even lying about being 17.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2024 7:29AM

Claimed here to be 17. But on YouTube channel a year ago said he is 19. So either 17, 20, or something else. Shame that there is a pattern here of not being truthful.

• Options
    edited April 7, 2024 7:59AM

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@yspsales said:

He's even lying about being 17.

(edited)
    wow

He asked me to send him coins to grade... lol

Yeah my benefits of doubt have been exhausted.

• Options
    johnhenry9009johnhenry9009 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2024 7:46AM

@yspsales
    From what I can find the first time the age of 17 is mentioned was by lermish on Mar, 29th in the thread about the selling of the OPs 1878-P Morgan Dollar. But it could have came from the thread where he promoted his "grading service" but that is just my guess as that thread is gone.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1102141/looking-to-sell-or-trade-this-morgan-dollar#latest

• Options

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13692483/#Comment_13692483

@FinnsCoin said:
    im trying to make it as a bullion and coin dealer at 17 . its difficult. This is my bad.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2024 8:08AM

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales
    From what I can find the first time the age of 17 is mentioned was by lermish on Mar, 29th in the thread about the selling of the OPs 1878-P Morgan Dollar. But it could have came from the thread where he promoted his "grading service" but that is just my guess as that thread is gone.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1102141/looking-to-sell-or-trade-this-morgan-dollar#latest

• Options

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales

Based on his hands and voice, he's young. 17 or 20, I neither know nor care. I can see the rain to fudge higher. But I'm really not that interested in trying to sort it out.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to mycollect.com and use their practice grading.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Forget about starting a grading service, we have plenty -- but now you can go after the sticker market. :D

• Options

The beauty of this hobby it is a lifetime pursuit of knowledge and there are no online shortcuts.

It weeds out the charlatans pretty quickly.

He's been given a roadmap.

• Options

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales

Based on his hands and voice, he's young. 17 or 20, I neither know nor care. I can see the rain to fudge higher. But I'm really not that interested in trying to sort it out.

The important thing is that he's your new protégé. Good luck! :D

I didn't exactly sign up for that job. I gave him some advice. He can take it or not.

• Options

@seatedlib3991 nailed it and this has played out exactly as he said it would. He was here to mine information and anyone defending him was a potential mark (asking yspsales to send him coins).

I don't care how old this guy really is, he's a grifter.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales

I didn't exactly sign up for that job. I gave him some advice. He can take it or not.

Stop trying to disavow your new protégé.

He is the Eliza Doolittle to your Henry Higgins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmADMB2utAo

• Options

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales

Nonsense. In fact, @yspsales threw my name out so I tried to help.

I actually find him less bothersome than some other forum members. He has his issues but he is not rude, insulting or argumentative. [And, ironically, was criticized for NOT being argumentative. Lol]

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2024 2:08PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales

I actually find him less bothersome than some other forum members. He has his issues but he is not rude, insulting or argumentative. [And, ironically, was criticized for NOT being argumentative. Lol]

He’s right you know. The problem with being devils advocate on EVERY post is that you now have to stick up for this behavior. This is not my kind of normal post but you asked for it (by your constant arguing the other side)….you get it

Edited to add: I also tried to help this person. But as a dealer for 30 years, my efforts were “rejected”. Enough of this person is the obvious and easy choice. Young or not, person needs to leave here and reset.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnhenry9009 said:
    @yspsales

You're gaslighting.

He was not criticized for not arguing. That trait was simply noted as one among several that reminded a poster of his grifting family member.

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2024 2:51PM

I am 17 the reason I said 19 was because you need to say you're 18 to have a youtube channel. Everyone here is acting like im a james bond villian and a master con artist. It's kind of funny. I think I am going to leave the forum because it is more of an annoyance than a help.

I know it must seem frustrating especially if your intent is good. However, you are now getting a valuable lesson in how sharp, smart and “on top” of everything coin collectors are. Some advice is this…if you know less than your buyer, you are at a huge disadvantage trying to make $1 in this amazing hobby. Respect is a big part of the business, so take it easy, learn for many years and eventually you will get there. But right now, you will have a big problem being a respected member here. You picked the TOP coin forum to join, and most of us are strong with the radar of BS. Keep trying, don’t quit, but remember learn from the people before you, and work from there! Good luck!

Edited to add….my first suggestion was that you should try one of the other forums out there. The reason I said that was because you had a bad start from the beginning and the longer you tried, the worse it would get with your “background”. The website, grading, etc is beyond silly and reasonable. But unfortunately you have now created a group of people that think you had 0 good intentions (remember we have a you every week spouting off this stuff). It’s NOT personal, but we protect the hobby we love. Whatever advice you are getting here, which is confusing I’m sure, one piece you should take, is, take some time off (years) and learn about the hobby every chance you get. This is not an area for novices trying to sell/buy/trade. Come back to us when you have something to share, and I believe things will be different. But the hole you’ve dug is pretty deep

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options

I am 17 the reason I said 19 was because you need to say you're 18 to have a youtube channel. Everyone here is acting like im a james bond villian and a master con artist. It's kind of funny. I think I am going to leave the forum because it is more of an annoyance than a help.

Not true. You can have a YouTube channel with parent permission for ages 13-17. You do need to be 18 to monetize your videos for YouTube to pay you revenue.

• Options

I don’t think you’re a master con artist (or a James Bond villain) but lying about your age is yet another fib on your list.

• Options

Go become the rockstar of those local coin clubs.

You will find dealers and mentors that want to help you.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file