Wanna post some territorial gold?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@OriginalDan said:
    This one was recently imaged through the holder, to keep the OGH its been resting in for many years. I think PCGS did a great job on the Trueview, despite shooting it through 25+ year old plastic.

The coin is graded "AU50". I put quotes around that because you can go compared it to any of the recently graded SSCA coins and see that it is superior to the AU53 and AU55 graded higher on coinfacts - both details and appearance. Wass issues in general were poorly struck, and thus not easy to grade.

Some interesting historical notes:

The last numeral in the date, almost certainly a '2' was drilled out of the die, then punched with a '5'.

The punch used to place Liberty on this coin was also used for the 1855 "Small Head" $20, making the $20 look a bit funny since the head size was intended for the $10. There's also a "Large Head" $20, that shared the same Liberty head punch with the Wass $50. Remember these were private, borderline 'emergency' issues due to the severe lack of circulating coinage. The private firms like Wass Molitor did what they had to do to get coinage out into circulation.

About 40 of these were recovered from the SSCA wreck, massively increasing the surviving population and softening prices for collectors. This example is still one of the nicest out there, even with the SSCA mini-hoard coming out.

Awesome coin, and JA must have thought it made a case for AU58 as it sports a gold sticker now.

I should show you the invoice from when I bought it. It says “AU58” in quotes 😀

Oh i believe it, it doesnt really have much wear at all. I need a Wass $10 in my set, there was an 1852 large head in 55cac that was floating around about a year ago and I kick myself in the ass for not buying that one.

Do you still have the Miners' $10 or is she gone?

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@OriginalDan said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@OriginalDan said:
    This one was recently imaged through the holder, to keep the OGH its been resting in for many years. I think PCGS did a great job on the Trueview, despite shooting it through 25+ year old plastic.

The coin is graded "AU50". I put quotes around that because you can go compared it to any of the recently graded SSCA coins and see that it is superior to the AU53 and AU55 graded higher on coinfacts - both details and appearance. Wass issues in general were poorly struck, and thus not easy to grade.

Some interesting historical notes:

The last numeral in the date, almost certainly a '2' was drilled out of the die, then punched with a '5'.

The punch used to place Liberty on this coin was also used for the 1855 "Small Head" $20, making the $20 look a bit funny since the head size was intended for the $10. There's also a "Large Head" $20, that shared the same Liberty head punch with the Wass $50. Remember these were private, borderline 'emergency' issues due to the severe lack of circulating coinage. The private firms like Wass Molitor did what they had to do to get coinage out into circulation.

About 40 of these were recovered from the SSCA wreck, massively increasing the surviving population and softening prices for collectors. This example is still one of the nicest out there, even with the SSCA mini-hoard coming out.

Awesome coin, and JA must have thought it made a case for AU58 as it sports a gold sticker now.

I should show you the invoice from when I bought it. It says “AU58” in quotes 😀

Oh i believe it, it doesnt really have much wear at all. I need a Wass $10 in my set, there was an 1852 large head in 55cac that was floating around about a year ago and I kick myself in the ass for not buying that one.

Do you still have the Miners' $10 or is she gone?

Sadly gone, as is most of my pioneer set. 😢

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2024 7:03PM

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2024 1:23PM
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is all I have. I wish there were more. I'd like to get a decent $50 gold slug someday.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file