Wanna post some territorial gold?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options

Oooooooh, nice horsie! :)

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@boiler78 that Baldwin $10 is amazing. It appears to be PL/cameo, is it?

The Bechtler ain't too shabby either.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... very impressive gold coins... Thanks for showing us... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Wil1858Wil1858 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

@OriginalDan

Very Nice!

• Options
    edited March 31, 2019 3:02PM

@Wil1858 those first two saw some real action back in the day. Nice skin on those, I love how territorial gold tones with color.

Edit: yeah yeah, I know it's not actually the gold that tones, but the other alloy metals.

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Have to add a non-gold coin - would be prohibitive if struck in gold.

I guess it’s all relative! This is still a dream coin for most.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive gold in here!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive, thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

The Moffat $5's seem to be the only territorial gold that actually circulated for "longer" periods in California. The weight of most other issues were called into question so they were melted. Other than the Moffats, do we find any other issues in lower grades like the VG10 above? Maybe the Norris, Gregg, Norris' or the Assay $10's?

• Options

@OriginalDan said:
    The Moffat $5's seem to be the only territorial gold that actually circulated for "longer" periods in California. The weight of most other issues were called into question so they were melted. Other than the Moffats, do we find any other issues in lower grades like the VG10 above? Maybe the Norris, Gregg, Norris' or the Assay $10's?

https://coinweek.com/dealers-companies/blanchard/curious-liberty-1850-5-moffat-gold-coin/

........."Moffat & Co. was the most important private gold minter in the California Gold Rush. In fact, when the federal government decided to open a San Francisco Mint, it asked two members of the company for their help. "

:)

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

I think that most of the territorial gold coins circulated...my theory is that many of the lower grade ones were melted somewhere down the line...and that the grading system for territorials seems to start at XF 40 because no one knows how to grade them...

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good article..."Moffat $5 and $10 coins were heavily used in gold camps, and many were later melted down, rendering Mint State 1850 $5 Moffats very rare and a coveted prize for many collectors."

• Options

Sure they all circulated, but why did more of the Moffat's survive in low grade than others. Were they just more common, or was it due to a higher level of trust, or something else?

• Options

Great thread!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coins everyone!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wil1858 said:
    Even more California crust for your enjoyment....

The 1852 $10 Humbert hat trick B)

PCGS XF-45 CAC

PCGS XF-45 Overdate

PCGS AU50 Cal Left

Great coins!

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the overdate with split reverse die!

• Options
    Wil1858Wil1858 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Feb 19th, 1861 B)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a gold plated 2009 District of Columbia territorial quarter , but I would hate to ruin such a beautiful thread. Salutations to the OP.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn’t Humbert Humbert Humbert the male lead in “Lolita?”

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@OriginalDan said:
    This one was recently imaged through the holder, to keep the OGH its been resting in for many years. I think PCGS did a great job on the Trueview, despite shooting it through 25+ year old plastic.

The coin is graded "AU50". I put quotes around that because you can go compared it to any of the recently graded SSCA coins and see that it is superior to the AU53 and AU55 graded higher on coinfacts - both details and appearance. Wass issues in general were poorly struck, and thus not easy to grade.

Some interesting historical notes:

The last numeral in the date, almost certainly a '2' was drilled out of the die, then punched with a '5'.

The punch used to place Liberty on this coin was also used for the 1855 "Small Head" $20, making the $20 look a bit funny since the head size was intended for the $10. There's also a "Large Head" $20, that shared the same Liberty head punch with the Wass $50. Remember these were private, borderline 'emergency' issues due to the severe lack of circulating coinage. The private firms like Wass Molitor did what they had to do to get coinage out into circulation.

About 40 of these were recovered from the SSCA wreck, massively increasing the surviving population and softening prices for collectors. This example is still one of the nicest out there, even with the SSCA mini-hoard coming out.

That is INSANELY nice!

• Options

@skier07 thats really nice

• Options

@asheland said:
    My humble example.

Cool, love the remaining crust around the lettering. Been tempted to get into Bechtlers for a loooong time, but you can’t do everything.

• Options
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    This one was recently imaged through the holder, to keep the OGH its been resting in for many years. I think PCGS did a great job on the Trueview, despite shooting it through 25+ year old plastic.

The coin is graded "AU50". I put quotes around that because you can go compared it to any of the recently graded SSCA coins and see that it is superior to the AU53 and AU55 graded higher on coinfacts - both details and appearance. Wass issues in general were poorly struck, and thus not easy to grade.

The last numeral in the date, almost certainly a '2' was drilled out of the die, then punched with a '5'.

The punch used to place Liberty on this coin was also used for the 1855 "Small Head" $20, making the $20 look a bit funny since the head size was intended for the $10. There's also a "Large Head" $20, that shared the same Liberty head punch with the Wass $50. Remember these were private, borderline 'emergency' issues due to the severe lack of circulating coinage. The private firms like Wass Molitor did what they had to do to get coinage out into circulation.

About 40 of these were recovered from the SSCA wreck, massively increasing the surviving population and softening prices for collectors. This example is still one of the nicest out there, even with the SSCA mini-hoard coming out.

Awesome coin, and JA must have thought it made a case for AU58 as it sports a gold sticker now.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for bumping this thread DD, great one to revisit!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

DW has said multiple times that only two or three people know how to accurately grade territorials and they don’t work for the TPGs.

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@OriginalDan said:

Awesome coin, and JA must have thought it made a case for AU58 as it sports a gold sticker now.

I should show you the invoice from when I bought it. It says “AU58” in quotes 😀

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file