Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show us your upgrades and the duplicate you upgraded

13»

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more... I bought this 1829 N-7 because the reverse die cracks were "all there" and even I could attribute it!

Then bought this one...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

From a 65 CAC (top) to 66 CAC (bottom). Both fantastic Peace dollars, the 66 is a little cleaner on the cheek and neck, and the 66 is my ideal coin for this issue and bumped me up 5 spots in the set ranking.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few.

Old type coin.

New type coin.

Old type coin

New type coin

Old type coin

New type coin

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 8:05AM

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few:
    Old

New

Old

New

Old

New

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 8:53AM

An upgrade and an "upgrade."

The bright surfaces from wiping on this 1888 bothered me so I purchased this PR61 raw at 2023 FUN. The 1888 proof bedazzled me after standing in line at PCGS and I wishfully graded it as PL but it's a "mishandled" proof, as the Trueview shows. It's my first 19th century proof, I've studied it to figure out what it is, and I like it. It surprises me because though I rarely buy proof coins, I've told myself to never buy proofs lower than PR65 to avoid annoying hairlines and imperfections. This coin is loaded with them. Meanwhile, the 1888 graded F12, and a buyer with more faith in it than I did, worked a good deal for it before the grade broke and was rewarded. Win Win!

Registry vs personal preference. I like both coins but the F02 wins.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 Nice substantial upgrades from already nice coins! Now they really pop!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭

cool thread, I would end up keeping a lot of those duplicates

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two numerical downgrades but I am much happier and still consider them upgrades.

MS62 -> AU53CAC

MS63CAC -> XF45CAC

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

And another upgrade…

My old 1811 Large 8 CBH PCGS AU53+ CAC

My new 1811 Large 8 CBH PCGS MS62

Dave

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭

again, I wouldn't be able to let the old ones go

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to @PocketChange and his gift, I was able to upgrade from this 1875 S Twenty Cent Piece with a slight rim ding to the gift coin he provided. I liked the old one but the gift coin was of the same color and better quality with no rim dings.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file