Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eyesight-the bad news that we would all prefer to ignore

sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like this is the 800 lb elephant in the room.

When I was young, my eyes were good-really good. It seemed that I could pick up detail on coins that others, even of my age, couldn't make out. In some ways, I was actually able to grade coins better without a glass. A glass was only used to see really microscopic detail. At the same time, I couldn't understand how some adults couldn't even read the date on coins. Were their eyes really THAT bad?

Well, yes. Now my eyes are THAT bad. I asked a 50+ year numismatic friend of the same age if the same had happened to his eyes. He didn't want to discuss it but acknowledged that yes, it had.

It's a sad reality that our eyes are only at their peak for some of our lives. The implication is that our oldest and sometimes greatest numismatists are probably not as good as they once were, at least eyesight-wise.

How are your eyes holding up and what is your approximate age?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2024 6:12AM

I am nearsighted,
    If I remove my glasses and bring the coin close i can see very well without a loupe.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always wondered whether viewing coins under a loupe for hundreds of hours over these years effected my eyesight. In my sixties and need my reading glasses everyday.

• Options

Taking my glasses off is what worked for years but no longer works. I just can't focus the way I used to be able to focus up close. Haven't tried reading glasses but I guess that I should. Duh.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    I am nearsighted,
    If I remove my glasses and bring the coin close i can see very well without a loupe.

I used to be near sighted and it was like having a built in 2X magnifier. Then I got cataract surgery and now I have good distance vision but need reading glasses to see up close. Cataracts are like gray hair in that everyone gets them if they live long enough. A good magnifier with a good light source makes all the difference when viewing coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    I am nearsighted,

Same here, except the glasses I wear are shaped such that I can easily look down and not be looking through the lens, so I don't need to remove them.

• Options
    epcepc Posts: 177 ✭✭✭✭

Nearsighted, with countless floaters. I can see well very close without correction. At coin shows, I have to adjust and remove glasses at different phases of browsing dealers' offerings.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@lcoopie said:
    I am nearsighted,

I used to be near sighted and it was like having a built in 2X magnifier. Then I got cataract surgery and now I have good distance vision but need reading glasses to see up close. Cataracts are like gray hair in that everyone gets them if they live long enough. A good magnifier with a good light source makes all the difference when viewing coins.

Exactly my situation.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can still see OK without cheaters, but I don’t know for how much longer.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2024 10:52AM

@PerryHall said:

Similar for me. Born with one eye more or less blind, the other eye so severely nearsighted that the eye doctors told me I had the equivalent of a 5x loupe when I took my glasses off. I used to be able to spot the tiniest of defects if I held a coin about 4 inches in front of my good eye if I took my glasses off. Then I developed a cataract in my good eye. After cataract surgery I’m now farsighted. I can see the craters on the moon, but can barely see good enough to shave in the morning even with reading glasses on. I couldn’t recognize people for a couple of weeks after the surgery everything looked so different.

Now I can only see details on coins with reading glasses and even then nowhere as good as when I was near sighted. All my coins that used to look scratched up to me look perfect now. For new purchases, I now focus on overall eye appeal and looking for small hairlines and hits isn’t as important anymore.

Even more recently, I had vitreous detachment where the membrane in the back of my eye came loose and it sags down and creates a huge ring of floaters that moves around in the center of my vision. So I have to shift my eyes a bit back and forth to see the details clearly. They even tried to take my drivers license away from me. They made me get notes from my eye doctor and take a behind the wheel driving test. They failed me saying I hesitated and blocked a lane when pulling out. But I took driving lessons and took it again and passed.

I’m 62

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the way of the road Bubs...

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully your knowledge of coins gained over the years helps to offset the vision issues, I have noticed a decline in the past 5 years in my vison as well.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

count our blessings now for we not know what tomorrow brings, said someone

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got glasses when I was 11 (probably needed them way earlier) and it’s gotten progressively worse. I’m 42 now and even struggle to use a loupe if the light’s not great. I mostly wear contacts but if I don’t have them in I can still get some pretty good detail way up close.

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Fantastic Thread! I, as a young buck had 20/40 vision. 50 year old me needs to have his glasses on at night to not kill someone on the road.

• Options

Well there's some consolation in seeing so many others with issues, too, but it makes me wonder how we are able to do what we do and do it well. I can't view and grade nearly as fast as I used to but I guess that I won't be pitching for the Yankees, either.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine it'll be tough going in the future for our YN's. From staring at a tiny phone screen all day to going home to a 72" TV. That'll give the ol' eyes a workout.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just about 40, I've noticed I can't hold things as close to my eyes as I used to be able to. No glasses required and I consider my vision to be pretty good, I think my left eye is a little better than my right.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m 72 and my eyesight is noticeable worse than just a year ago. I used to get my glasses renewed every 4 years. Now it’s at least two years and probably going to have to get new glasses after just one year this time. I’ll have astigmatism and it sure can hold me back with coins.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank goodness for slabs!

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great vision until around 45. I'm about to turn 54. I was able to see dates and mintmarks very clearly without magnification. Now, forget it. I need 1.5 readers to see them.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just had my cataract surgery ... gee now I can see my golf ball when it hits the greens. The side benefit - I can view my coins clearer .. before surgery, even a loop did not help much on my right eye. Browsing at a show was even much improved. Yea - getting old is tough but not wearing sunglasses did not help

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vision was sharp until I hit 45-46 yrs old @ 10+ years ago. That’s when I realized I could no longer focus on the details of small denomination coins. I eventually sold a nearly complete set of Charlotte $1 and $2 1/2 gold coins because I could no longer really appreciate them with the naked eye.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am stuck in a loupe at 72! LOL😂
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are going to start slabbing coins in braille.

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭

My advice to you all is take a vitamin and supplement formula designed to ward off eye problems. I specifically take a multivitamin tablet vitamin C 500 MG and vitamin E 200 MG and Bilberry supplement only by a company called Life Extension 100 MG. I am 72 and still have very good vision. Protect it, sunglasses a must with blue blocking capability.
    Hope this helps.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be 68 in about 5 weeks. Always had 20/20 until about 50. Got readers for.....reading. 1.25 magnification. About 58 or so I moved up to 1.50. Now at 1.75. Can't bring myself to go to an eye doctor although it's coming.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    I'll be 68 in about 5 weeks. Always had 20/20 until about 50. Got readers for.....reading. 1.25 magnification. About 58 or so I moved up to 1.50. Now at 1.75. Can't bring myself to go to an eye doctor although it's coming.

here is why you should go sooner rather than later: Glaucoma is a real thing. Untreated, it will cause total blindness. It happens to regular people. I take simple eye drops daily to keep it in check.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Accurate inspection within seconds, (with a glass) like a blink of an eye, (press is running at 10,000 + an hour) 47 years, 8+ hrs on any given day of the week (deadlines) was just another day on the job.
    My eyes were pushed above and beyond, now that I think of it, without any questions from anyone.
    Our color blind testing was given with every job jacket.
    Eye charts ? Just another job jacket.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭

Its obvious that as we age our eyes get weaker, and those unluckily born with poor eyesight only seem to get worse. A loupe or large magnifying glass turns around our eye weaknesses so I don't see (pun intended) the problem

• Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

I will be 80 in a couple of months. I have diabetic retinopathy in my dominant eye. I’m slowly losing my sight in this eye. I can’t see my Liberty Seated coins well enough to identify different varieties. I have a pretty powerful microscope and can’t even see them with that. And this sucks. I’ve had eight injections in my eye with no help. All you young guys enjoy studying your coins while you can.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    They are going to start slabbing coins in braille.

Why not? Sometimes it seems they're graded that way.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2024 8:08PM

I need glasses for at least the last 10-15 years for distance but since I do not own a car and take public transportation I keep pushing it back. I am in my early 40's and once I get old were things get worse I will buy glasses. I have insurance so I have no true reason not to get glasses except going out of my way to buy a pair. I guess I can just it done at Costco when I am out shopping.

Problem is your eyes get use to them and when you take them off you feel blind that is one of my main reasons of not getting a new pair once my old pair broke about 15-20 years ago. And I just HATE having to clean them over and over because I touch my face a lot by habit.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    Well there's some consolation in seeing so many others with issues, too, but it makes me wonder how we are able to do what we do and do it well. I can't view and grade nearly as fast as I used to but I guess that I won't be pitching for the Yankees, either.

Hey Sellitstore - here is the scope- its true aging stinks and I think everyone would agree with you including me. I was probably the one you are referring to as the 50+ numismatic that you were able to grade better than me. I think thats true and you were able to grade better than me. I give you that. Going to a coin show nowadays with my reading glasses over my contact lens I still can't read the PCGS label. So sad. Why in the world I still collect smaller coins, clearly shows I haven't progresses. Still enjoy collecting half dimes and dimes, when I should be collecting halves and dollars - go figure. Some good news is I now defer to my son to help grade some coins and he has a grade eye. Pitching for the Yankees - Remember you don't have to pitch for the Yanks to have a good time - remember game 5 of the 1976 ALCS when Chris Chambliss hit a walk off home run and we crashed onto the field on Yankee Stadium. Pretty cool. Today, the Yankees are bring me back to the stadium on opening day to hold the American flag during the National Anthem during the opening day ceremonies. Pitching for the Yanks- still working on it but I think my chances are smaller than winning the billion dollar lottery. Aging just sucks and thanks for third party grading services.........

Easton Collection
  • Options
    johnhenry9009johnhenry9009 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 5:40AM

I’ll be turning 17 in a few months. For my eyes, I’m farsighted so I can’t really see things close up.

• Options

@EastonCollection said:

@sellitstore said:

Hey Sellitstore - here is the scope- its true aging stinks and I think everyone would agree with you including me. I was probably the one you are referring to as the 50+ numismatic that you were able to grade better than me. I think thats true and you were able to grade better than me. I give you that. Going to a coin show nowadays with my reading glasses over my contact lens I still can't read the PCGS label. So sad. Why in the world I still collect smaller coins, clearly shows I haven't progresses. Still enjoy collecting half dimes and dimes, when I should be collecting halves and dollars - go figure. Some good news is I now defer to my son to help grade some coins and he has a grade eye. Pitching for the Yankees - Remember you don't have to pitch for the Yanks to have a good time - remember game 5 of the 1976 ALCS when Chris Chambliss hit a walk off home run and we crashed onto the field on Yankee Stadium. Pretty cool. Today, the Yankees are bring me back to the stadium on opening day to hold the American flag during the National Anthem during the opening day ceremonies. Pitching for the Yanks- still working on it but I think my chances are smaller than winning the billion dollar lottery. Aging just sucks and thanks for third party grading services.........

Just to set the record straight, I never thought that I was "better" at grading coins than you, just that maybe I could see the coins better than many other collectors of my age. I'm not sure if I was actually seeing the coins better than you, but now were both in the same boat. In any case the eye that you do have is one for beautifully toned rare Bust coins. Not the common halves that didn't actually circulate and are around in higher grades but the lower denominations that are truly rare in high grades. And you patiently choose the most beautiful examples for your collection. You play this game well, my friend.

Yes, those Yankee memories are great and the fact that you get to hold the American flag there on opening day must be a very rewarding accomplishment. I know what a big fan that you have always been and continue to be today. I'll be watching today to see if I can spot you. Congratulations, and I hope that you have a great time at the Stadium today.

• Options

Hey Sellitstore -
    I was very exciting hold the American flag during the opening ceremonies at Yankee Stadium. Had a great time until the game began. Yankees lost- Ugh!

Easton Collection
  • Options

I guess the Yankees eyesight ain't that great today!!!! LOL

Easton Collection
  • Options
    VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

64 this year - like my favorite coin grade! I don't HAVE to wear glasses as I now have monovision; I had lasik done over 25 years ago and one eye is still corrected for distance but the other has reverted back to being nearsighted. So I can wear regular sunglasses and don't NEED corrective lenses for driving. But I do find that even my nearsighted eye has aged to the point where I have a difficult time reading small type (like medicine bottle instructions) and I can't make out coin details like before. So, like many or all of the other old fogies out there, I find that I need reading glasses and/or some kind of magnification in order to appreciate my coins. And I now I really like larger coins - haha.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 7:03PM

@sellitstore said:
    I feel like this is the 800 lb elephant in the room.

When I was young, my eyes were good-really good. It seemed that I could pick up detail on coins that others, even of my age, couldn't make out. In some ways, I was actually able to grade coins better without a glass. A glass was only used to see really microscopic detail. At the same time, I couldn't understand how some adults couldn't even read the date on coins. Were their eyes really THAT bad?

Well, yes. Now my eyes are THAT bad. I asked a 50+ year numismatic friend of the same age if the same had happened to his eyes. He didn't want to discuss it but acknowledged that yes, it had.

It's a sad reality that our eyes are only at their peak for some of our lives. The implication is that our oldest and sometimes greatest numismatists are probably not as good as they once were, at least eyesight-wise.

How are your eyes holding up and what is your approximate age?

So.... Look for that big green sticker on the slab and you will know that younger and great eyes have looked it over for you................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had relatively good eyesight for distance but need glasses for TV, computer, etc. Until Feb 2023 when I had a blood vessel blow up in my retina of my left eye. Now, pretty much blind in that eye. Doc said it should heal but it hasn't. Then said it was Macula degernation, age related as I'm 77, and have had injections but no help.
    Sucks, and I have to take a driving test this summer...hope I can pass. If not I'll be thumbing it.
    Have to keep that eye shut as it now interfers with vison overall. Arg matey (pirate yell).
    bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭

When I was young and had 20/15 vision I remember feeling sorry for my Dad who could not make out all the fine details even wearing his glasses. Now he’s gone and my vision is where his was. I can examine a coin better now by taking a photo and looking at that.

image Respectfully, Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file