Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this Morgan Dollar... Updated Images...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 1, 2024 5:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum

sub-optimal seller's pics... what do you think?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

From those pics I would pass unless a screaming deal. I don't like the lower obv, it may just be lighting related but I'm not sure its worth the hassle.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • johnhenry9009johnhenry9009 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

The coin looks like a MS-63 PL maybe a DMPL. But the Photos appear to have been altered as to give it more contrast.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally automatically eliminate the possibility of buying a coin which has poor quality pics. I’m of the belief that bad pics are often, not always but often, used intentionally to hide flaws and defects. If the seller and I have done good business in the past and there’s an acceptable return policy, I’ll let my guard down a little bit. Just my 2c…..

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 N THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

4pl pvc.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 63 and maybe PL.
    The photos are too blue and the milky haze on the obverse may possibly be removed through professional conservation services.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are the slab shots from the seller

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

And here are some updated pics.

closeups of the obverse

...and the reverse

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what's causing the splotchiness on the obverse but I think you can find better, personally unless it's a really good deal. It doesn't seem to have great eye appeal at all.

Seller has a 30-day return policy... I'm sending it back. The original images don't reflect the extent of the severe contact marks in a prime focal area, the extent of the haze from a previous dip, or the possible PVC damage on the reverse. I like the holder, not the coin in it...

@lkenefic said:
    Seller has a 30-day return policy... I'm sending it back. The original images don't reflect the extent of the severe contact marks in a prime focal area, the extent of the haze from a previous dip, or the possible PVC damage on the reverse. I like the holder, not the coin in it...

What'd you pay? Looks like a strong upgrade candidate. The play might be a crackout, conserve, and regrade. Honestly looks shot 5dm in your pics and 82-CC is a TOUGH date in higher grade dmpl.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

DMPL standards are much stricter today than when it was graded. I’m guessing it probably wouldn’t grade DMPL today.

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pvc??

@skier07 said:
    DMPL standards are much stricter today than when it was graded. I’m guessing it probably wouldn’t grade DMPL today.

Looks good enough to me. Probably borderline, but the pics show nice cameo, suggesting a good shot the mirrors are deep enough.

• bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 10:07AM

Beautiful coin, looks like slight PVC clouding from an old flap. Acetone bath time. That coin is a perfect example of one that can be saved and improved by a little curation.

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 329 ✭✭✭✭

@bennybravo said:
    Beautiful coin, looks like slight PVC clouding from an old flap. Acetone bath time. That coin is a perfect example of one that can be saved and improved by a little curation.

+1

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly DMPL and agree with DD, too bad the buyer is so fussy with what could be a homerun.

Well... I haven't sent it back, yet... I interpreted to blue/green crud on the reverse to be PVC. The cheek looked relatively clean for a 63...

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think i'd send that to PCGS for restoration and regrading. You lose the holder, but won't lose the grade, and the upside is pretty strong (64 or 65 DMPL).

Dead people tell interesting tales.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file