Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If I Break This Coin Out............

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 1, 2024 5:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

.............would acetone clean this stuff up or off? I could use her in my 7070.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another one bites the dust...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be toning and not surface level gunk which will only come off by dipping the coin. :#

Or you could tone it a slightly darker which would even out the color.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

@Ronsanderson said:
    A sequence of distilled water, then acetone, then xylene should remove most organic contaminants. However, there is no guarantee that the result would be more pleasing. For one thing, you may find that the gunk has reacted with the metal to produce some spot toning. It may be pretty, or may be ghastly. For another, the coin may just look weird with some clean spots and some splotches.

I, for one, would tread carefully and maybe learn to love the look it has.

Yes. I'm afraid whatever it is, might be baked into the surface.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why?
    Just leave her be :)

• Options

There's no rush. I'll just keep looking. I could find another one around EF without that look or appearance.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impression was a solid VF coin with original skin...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

It requires a microscope to look at the surface and figure out if it is foreign debris or toning.
    And as others have said, even if it is debris and you remove it, it may end up looking worse.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

That has the near perfect look of a 170 year old circulated coin. Would like great in your 7070 as-is.

• Options

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    That has the near perfect look of a 170 year old circulated coin. Would like great in your 7070 as-is.

It's not a bad coin but it doesn't match the consistent look I'm trying to accomplish.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would also leave her as is.
    You never know what she might be covering up underneath.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you could get some of the dirt off with acetone. If it does not look like what you want, don't buy it if you do not own it.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

The goal for my 7070 is to find the nicest coin possible with out breaking the bank. My next goal is to fill the holes. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    RonsandersonRonsanderson Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Of course, for a 7070 you could put it in with the reverse to the front, showing off the rays. That side looks just great to me. Then the obverse coloring just doesn’t matter.
    I did that with the “motto” versions since the design difference is all on the back.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want a 7070 album coin, I'd start with something better. I sold a couple of them when I was a dealer that were in ANACS "soap bar" holders.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why mess with perfection?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shurke said:
    It has a nice original look. Personally, I’d leave it alone.

+1 as well

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    Why mess with perfection?

Dave

This... if left alone, another collector may find it a good home in a raw set or an album. If you put an organic solvent on it and dont like the results, you've effectively lost a customer to sell it to and the coin may be ruined. If it were me and I just had to get an XF/AU coin to fill the slot, I'd sell this coin and use the proceeds to buy an upgrade... FWIW...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anacs has an excellent conservation department; let them make the determination.

• Options

@Ronsanderson said:
    Of course, for a 7070 you could put it in with the reverse to the front, showing off the rays. That side looks just great to me. Then the obverse coloring just doesn’t matter.
    I did that with the “motto” versions since the design difference is all on the back.

The coin isn't mine. I saw it on eBay. I'm not buying it. Regarding your point. I've used the reverse on the front of several pages. Why have two Washington quarters or two standing liberty quarters, all facing forward. It's nice to see the Obv. and Rev. of a coin side-by-side without always flipping the page.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    If you want a 7070 album coin, I'd start with something better. I sold a couple of them when I was a dealer that were in ANACS "soap bar" holders.

It would pain me to crack open an old soap bar slab. I have cracked open quite a few slabs for my 7070. The higher end ones, just for me to ensure they aren't counterfeit and are problem free.

• Options
    RonsandersonRonsanderson Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 12:51PM

!When you’re building an album sacrifices must be made. :o

• Options

You gotta break a few eggs to make an.....................................................well, you know the rest. 🤣 😉

I'm way ahead of you brother! 😉

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

That black stuff looks like congealed dirt. I would soak that coin in acetone for at least 1-2 days. But that's just me. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file