Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A blast from the past. Teletrade Auction

VetterVetter Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going through some old files and found this invoice from Teletrade Auctions from 1997. This was the 1st 1914/3 Buffalo Nickel sold at auction. There was even a write up in Coin World about it.
How many remember Teletrade and the coins from them. It was a fun time.

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I definitely remember Teletrade. I may even have some of their old VHS tapes of their auction lots somewhere in the basement. If I do, those would be fun to watch again.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options

The good old days placing bids over the telephone. Man, this memory makes me feel sooooo old. They actually auctioned off a bit of my stuff shortly before they closed. I didn’t know they were shutting down until after the sale. I was scared I wouldn’t get paid. Sure enough the check arrived right on time.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss teletrade 😔

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have mixed feelings on Teletrade, bought many coins but some were not all that great, I still have some with those old Teletrade stickers on them.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    I have mixed feelings on Teletrade, bought many coins but some were not all that great, I still have some with those old Teletrade stickers on them.

Agree. Many times, Teletrade was used as a dumping ground for dealer inventory that couldn't be sold on a sight seen basis.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great company, you'd get their auction mailers. Very customer friendly.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

Don't you touch those stickers! We have a cautionary thread on the subject with a gazillion replies 😆

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@coinbuf said:

Don't you touch those stickers! We have a cautionary thread on the subject with a gazillion replies 😆

Lol. But half a gazillion of the replies have nothing to do with stickers.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were fun and ahead of their time IMO but didn’t evolve. Shame.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice flash from the past. Bought a lot of nice stuff from Teletrade in the day.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loved Teletrade!

As I recall auctions ended on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday night. At least that’s my recollection. Action all week long! I picked up at least 15 VF Barber quarters there, which helped complete my set … even some of the tougher semi-keys.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Teletrade was fun; I cherried a handful of Washie quarter varieties from them.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drddm said:
    I still remember winning a few amazing bust halves from Teletrade back in the day. My favorite coin to this day came from them.

Dave

Dave, I didn't realize that you have been a "You Suck" member for so long!!

;):D:p

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought most of the PL and DMPL Morgans that I had through teletrade and submitted several coins to them at the 2009 Baltimore ANA convention. Met so many members there that have since passed, heartbreaking, but so glad I met them. I loved Teletrade and truly miss them. After buying half dozen or so each of the PL & DMPL Morgans, prices when drastically up very quickly and soon became out of my comfortability zone and I sold for good profits, but never bought any more.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Teletrade.

I have one coin from them and it's still in the same old blue PCGS holder.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember winning some contest they had. $50 which I never did use.

But I can’t remember the question that I answered correctly.

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@coinbuf said:

Agree. Many times, Teletrade was used as a dumping ground for dealer inventory that couldn't be sold on a sight seen basis.

Hence the name "Tele-trash" that was used near the end.

Wasn't Teletrade bought by SB or maybe it was Spectrum. ???

jom

• Options

@winesteven said:
    I loved Teletrade. Even though it was sight unseen, I found their written descriptions honest.

Absolutely. I had very few issues.

If I recall, towards the end they did have a website didn’t they? I coulda swore….

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭

Yes. Teletrade had a website with pictures for several years before it got bought out. I purchased many fine coins from them. Broke my heart when they ended but fortunately Great Collections eventually filled the void and then some. james

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved Teletrade. Newsprint catalogs in COIN (?) magazine. Two-line written descriptions. Touchtone phone bidding. Brad Johnson. Trivia giveaways. Early Internet "high resolution" images. That little cardboard box arriving in the mail (I still have a couple). Fond memories. I do recall in their final year(s) the bidding system was squirrely and not entirely trustworthy (from my seat).
    I'm a bit embarrassed to say I still have EVERY Teletrade receipt. I even kept a few images. I do think GC has done a nice job of becoming the modern-day version of TT.

A fond blast from the past indeed ...

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2024 9:36PM

I was a big buyer (and occasional consignor) at Teletrade, especially in the Bernard Rome days in Kingston, NY. They made the market in sight-unseen certified coins at just the right time.

Was a little apprehensive, but Irma and Ian really made it work and brought it to the Internet when that sports card company bought it and moved it to Irvine. Bowers and Merena bought it and went nowhere with it. I really would love to get the lot images and descriptions for at least the silver dollars, as I recorded thousands of sales.

As for missing them? Ian's Great Collections is the evolution of what that was. He still keeps commissions reasonable and runs a good auction. Not sure why prices realized don't get incorporated into Coinfacts (while Goldberg's are). Puzzling.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    I was a big buyer (and occasional consignor) at Teletrade, especially in the Bernard Rome days in Kingston, NY. They made the market in sight-unseen certified coins at just the right time.

Was a little apprehensive, but Irma and Ian really made it work and brought it to the Internet when that sports card company bought it and moved it to Irvine. Bowers and Merena bought it and went nowhere with it. I really would love to get the lot images and descriptions for at least the diverse dollars, as I recorded thousands of sales.

As for missing them? Ian's Great Collections is the evolution of what that was. He still keeps commissions reasonable and runs a good auction. Not sure why prices realized don't get incorporated into Coinfacts (while Goldberg's are). Puzzling.

Great Collections won't give permission to include them. They have stated on here in the past that it was done believing it would drive more people to sign up directly with them rather than making available on CoinFacts. Not sure if it really works out that way or not.

They do miss out on some publicity as in the case of a recently sold 1841 quarter eagle in PCGS MS-60. When the same coin was sold recently at Stacks Bowers March 2024 auction at $288,000 it was announced as a new world record for the non-proof issue on the livestream even though it had brought over $40,000 more in Sept 2022 at GC.

The record prices on CoinFacts can only show what the non-GC auction record is and GC gets forgotten about. Noticed GC is not in the auction provenance for that coin and others, so they lose some publicity that way also.

There are some older GC auctions that occasionally show up. Looks like 2011 through the end of 2014.

Here is a link of the GC auctions that are allowed to be included:

https://pcgs.com/auctionprices/auctionsalessummary/great-collections/firmid/12

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 6:34AM

Great Times

With TTR honed my skills on bidding in last couple of seconds. So get them around bid or lower, flip at next show $$$. Fun.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 2:14PM

I came late to the game but I bought a beautiful toned 1878 S Morgan VAM 36B Dragon Scales with the typical poor washed out photos. I saw something there and was right and the coin was better than I expected in hand.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

I believe that I have a 50-cent sample, courtesy of Teletrade hiding somewhere.

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

I had Excellent Experiences with Teletrade - My point of contact there was Irma Kane and
    I was always treated by her with great respect and outstanding service. I believe she
    moved to NGC after the Teletrade incorporation into SB. I actually enjoyed purchasing
    from them precisely for the reasons that they were criticized by others. They catered
    very well to small collectors with limited budgets - aka Yours Truly ! I found several
    coins within their auctions which were excellent buys - I just wanted copies for sets. It
    was sad to see them leave the business - WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOMETHING SIMILAR
    START UP AGAIN - HINT ! - HINT !

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Ian guy gets around.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

I returned one because in hand it looked nothing like the pics. They just put it back up with the same pics. Also a LOT of potted plants [officially incremental bids] were bidders there.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 10:21AM

@Dave99B said:
    Loved Teletrade!

As I recall auctions ended on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday night. At least that’s my recollection. Action all week long! I picked up at least 15 VF Barber quarters there, which helped complete my set … even some of the tougher semi-keys.

Dave

They also ended a 9:01 pm my time and not 9:00 pm giving you an extra 59 seconds to outbid someone.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Yes. Teletrade had a website with pictures for several years before it got bought out. I purchased many fine coins from them. Broke my heart when they ended but fortunately Great Collections eventually filled the void and then some. james

I only bought a few coins from them over the years, generally I remember being happy with my purchases. The thing I loved about their web site was the searchable results, for a long time that was the most reliable real world price guide for cherrypickers' varieties. They sold a ton of ANACS soapbox coins and were great about listing the full attributions in their auction descriptions.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭

@seanq. Yes, I think I won more small ANAC holder coins than all the PCGS/NGC combined by 2X. james

• Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 6:58PM

I also bought many coins from them as well. In fact, they were the ones that originally auctioned the toned Binion Morgan’s back in 2002 when they first came out. I loved the ones I bought. I have 3 up for sale in the 15 April auction at Heritage. I’m enclosing a couple photos here. The 1st photo is the obverse of the 1883-CC in NGC MS 64*. The second photo is the rev of the 83 cc. The next photo is the obverse of the 1883 MS 63* Binion, the next photo is the 1887 Morgan in NGC MS 66*, the last photo is the 1883 MS 63* Binion. With less than 2 weeks to go, I think they are very reasonably/cheaply priced. But that’s my opinion because I sent out to sell. I should have resubmitted the 1887 because I think it would upgrade to a 67.

![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/vo/

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, brings back fond memories!
    Actually, this was the time I first got into coin collecting.
    1998 or so!
    <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file