First Time Being a Dealer at a Coin Showw

124»

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:
    From the OP's first thread, before it was apparently deleted via the edit bug:

https://unitedstatesbullion.org/services/

Ok. I'm starting to smell a rat.

How come when I click on "View Catalog" I see only the OP's coins? Either he's the only customer or he's the slabber.

Or both!

Lol. Yes, turned out to be both.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2024 7:46AM

@NJCoin said:

@FinnsCoin said:
    Being completely honest I wanted to start a grading business with the best of my abilities and I decided to start it with my own coins

Nothing you have posted so far has been "completely honest." 🤣

Even that statement. He DOESN'T want to start a grading business. He refuses to guarantee the grade, or anything else. He wants to start a SLABBING business where for $10 he'll save you the trouble of putting the coins in the same after market slabs that he's using.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is just so much in this thread I don't know where to start. Can't really even say 'Good luck with your endeavor!' as I looked at the coins for sale on the web site (Jefferson, Adams and Washington collections) and just see lots of overpriced, common, problem, raw coins mixed in with low cost slabbed coins bundled at a IMO, ridiculous price.

I guess I'll just say have fun and try to learn something, dealers whose goal is to take advantage of customers don't last long where there are better options...FYI it is 'break even' not 'brake even' :)

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@FinnsCoin said:
    Being completely honest I wanted to start a grading business with the best of my abilities and I decided to start it with my own coins

Nothing you have posted so far has been "completely honest." 🤣

Even that statement. He DOESN'T want to start a grading business. He refuses to guarantee the grade, or anything else. He wants to start a SLABBING business where for $10 he'll save you the trouble of putting the coins in the same after market slabs that he's using.

It's not clear that he wants to do anything other than separate people from their money. YouTube and a website were a good start. Trolling here, not so much.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please lock this thread

• Options

@skier07 said:
    Please lock this thread

Pshaw. It's been, at worst, harmless. At best, it's been educational.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! That was an illuminating 30 minute read... on what NOT to do when you're starting out a business! ANY business... let alone a business that trades on reputation and integrity!

@FinnsCoin ... you clearly have a passion but, at this point, I'm not sure if it's for coins or just making a fast buck! As others have already said, and I know this may sound harsh, but you're young (at least I think you are) and can hopefully learn from this experience.

As a collector/hobbyist/sometimes seller, it really helped me to learn how to grade and recognize when coins have been cleaned or otherwise messed with. Last week, I attended the Baltimore-Whitman Coin Expo... if I had come up to a table with those offerings at a major show, I'd be looking for John Quinones (of What Would You Do? fame) to pop out with a camera! Seriously though, I hope you take this as a teaching moment...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 8:40AM

To the OP: when you are at the coin show and people ask you about those strange slabs, you'll presumably tell them that they are from a new grading company.

But will you tell them its your new grading company?

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the nicest I’ve seen the forum be to a poster like this since I joined.
    Somebody needs to grab this kid up, give him a hug, make him slow down and listen to all the great advice that’s been offered here and then hopefully he’ll start over.
    If we’re not dealing with the type of person that could handle that, then all the harshest things posted here are likely the best advice.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 9:29AM

I will say that the OP has not been combative and rude, the subterfuge aside.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

He should read these threads in detail several times, take notes, and reflect on the advice given.

Alot of good advice from well meaning and helpful collectors and seasoned dealers.

My advice, he should take his one CAC coin and make it a point to visit every dealer at the show. Use his youth and enthusiasm to find a job and mentors.

If this was baseball, they would have instituted the mercy rule a few days ago.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@yspsales said:
    He should read these threads in detail several times, take notes, and reflect on the advice given.

Alot of good advice from well meaning and helpful collectors and seasoned dealers.

My advice, he should take his one CAC coin and make it a point to visit every dealer at the show. Use his youth and enthusiasm to find a job and mentors.

If this was baseball, they would have instituted the mercy rule a few days ago.

I have been reading the advice and I think it will be very helpful. I will also definatley be talking with other dealers aswell

• Options

@JBK said:
    To the OP: when you are at the coin show and people ask you about those strange slabs, you'll presumably tell them that they are from a new grading company.

But will you tell them its your new grading company?

Yeah.

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Do yourself a favor and please don't sell them in the slabs, or even say it's your "company." You would be a lot better off selling them raw, without your "grade"

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

This discussion has been closed.