Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Time Being a Dealer at a Coin Showw

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:
    Its my fault for the false pretenses. I don't think ill burn the account nor will I stop trying to make it in this business.

Well, your reputation is toast right now, but if you keep posting and don't pull anymore stunts you may be able to rehabilitate it on these boards.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:
    It's news to me there is even a catalog there wasnt when I sent them off

I'm quoting this in case you decided to edit out your denial that you effectively admitted was a lie only a few posts later.

On another note, your website mentions "snaps" and not "slabs". So I presume these are not sealed. Don't you understand the inherent problem with that?

Now i wonder of you're even going to the coin show, or was this all a marketing ploy? 🤔

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

You do not have the necessary qualifications to be grading coins. Your grades are 100% wrong. I'd recommend finding a local coin club or coin shop, a mentor, and time to devote to studying grading.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 8:25PM

@FinnsCoin said:
    Seemed legit and everything came back fine.

@FinnsCoin said:
    PCGS had too long of turnaround times and I paid $10 per coin

@FinnsCoin said:
    It was a third party grading site. I'll let you know how it goes.

@FinnsCoin said:

Yikes, bald-faced lie after bald-faced lie. :#

Who knows how long this would have gone on if he hadn't been called out.

• Options

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

I'm quoting this in case you decided to edit out your denial that you effectively admitted was a lie only a few posts later.

On another note, your website mentions "snaps" and not "slabs". So I presume these are not sealed. Don't you understand the inherent problem with that?

Now i wonder of you're even going to the coin show, or was this all a marketing ploy? 🤔

I seal them shut with a soldering gun

But they are aftermarket slabs, correct? So I buy some, bust out the rare coins from your slabs, put a lesser coin into the new snap and transfer your labels, and seal them with a soldering gun.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

well this isn't going to end well for the OP :#

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

But they are aftermarket slabs, correct? So I buy some, bust out the rare coins from your slabs, put a lesser coin into the new snap and transfer your labels, and seal them with a soldering gun.

but it wouldn't be on the spreadsheet

• Options

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

Sure it would. Your original label would be transfered to the new snap.

• Options

@Davidk7 said:
    You do not have the necessary qualifications to be grading coins. Your grades are 100% wrong. I'd recommend finding a local coin club or coin shop, a mentor, and time to devote to studying grading.

You forgot about the integrity... ;)

• Options

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

What do you say I should do then

• Options

@DCW said:
    This has been a very entertaining thread!
    I haven't seen this level of chicanery since BNB was on the forums :D

Who is this "BNB"

• Options

@DCW said:

Who is this "BNB"> @TomB said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

Scrap this entire idea as it has nothing but financial failure and possible fraud written all over it.

Why. I put a lot of work into the website and youtube.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:

@DCW said:

Who is this "BNB"> @TomB said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@JBK said:

@FinnsCoin said:

Scrap this entire idea as it has nothing but financial failure and possible fraud written all over it.

Why. I put a lot of work into the website and youtube.

Sigh…

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

Like everyone here, I have read all and I am simply dumbfounded. I would like to believe that we have a 17 year old rockstar grader who is trying to start a business similar to the way Homerun Hall did, well sort of. But based on the young fella's answers I don't see anything close to HH. How can someone who is unable to grade even think for one moment to start a reputable grading service let a lone be honest with a single post

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:
    I'll be back in the morning to see the barrage of comments on this discussion.
    But if you do want $10 grading : https://unitedstatesbullion.org/services/

No.... No you won't be back unless under an Alt

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

Those holders are a huge red flag.

Break them out and sell them as raw coins.

@ctf_error_coins said:

@FinnsCoin said:
    Damn, are the third world holders really that bad. I have a pcgs account with 8 vouchers but just didn't want to send them in because of the ridiculous turnaround times right now. I would think that collectors would evaluate the coin itself rather than the holder.

Those holders are a huge red flag.

Break them out and sell them as raw coins.

This x100. I have seen many reputable dealers who sell mainly raw coins. However, most dealers, even who share tables, come with a few hundred coins ready to go.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, this has been interesting...

Mark

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:

If I throw the $10 into my fireplace with a match instead, at least my coins will retain their value.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:
    Being completely honest I wanted to start a grading business with the best of my abilities and I decided to start it with my own coins

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is very entertaining.

I will say this, I'm impressed with the USB grading company's 'lightening fast' turnaround times. They have that going for them.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 8:00AM

@FinnsCoin said:

And what are your bona fides? We've already seen your FB dime. People want expert opinions.

And what are your guarantees?

Are the slabs sonically sealed so they can't be opened?

The point is not to simply pay someone else to snap them into a plastic holder.

While I applaud your initiative, lying to us repeatedly for days isn't the way to gain trust.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    If you ever want your slabbing company to catch on, you need to add little stickers to your slabs. That seems to be all the rage these days.

I checked put his site. He does offer a similar service. :D

• Options
    edited March 25, 2024 2:42AM
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't have a table towards the entrance where the public enters, from experience, most don't venture past those first few tables. Those who do, you'll see them coming from a mile away. And if your selection isn't all that diversified, what you have on display, expect a very short, profitless visit. I think we made $4 on the sale of 2 Lincoln cents..
    The 2nd year, our table was about a 3rd in from where we were. Same result especially when you're not as diversified covering many of the early series and having the rarer hard to find coins.
    The most spectators we got were, as someone has said, were dealers from other tables and they didn't buy anything.

Leo 😯

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 2:58AM

Creepier than anything a numismatist said to his date.

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 5:27AM

Reading the OP’s comments, & commenting on this thread have been a total waste of my time.

I’m outta here.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Entertaining and disconcerting. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. Wonder if this has anything to do with the coming solar eclipse? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Entertaining and disconcerting. Waiting for the other shoe to drop. Wonder if this has anything to do with the coming solar eclipse? Peace Roy

sign of jonah

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think forum members will trust you with their coins.
    Not even if grading was free, with free shipping, and overnight grading and delivery.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    Not even if grading was free, with free shipping, and overnight grading and delivery.

I'd trust Stevie Wonder more to grade my coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 6:29AM

To OP - Newsflash - Nobody I know of buys self slabbed coins these days. Your blowing in the wind. That little racket saw its day decades ago if it ever really did anything. Defunct lol. A shop might buy them (if they are real) at money that would work for them (melt?). Put them back in 2x2’s get your more expensive ones graded by our hosts.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, nothing like a train wreck to go with a morning coffee.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    Ah, nothing like a train wreck to go with a morning coffee.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

You know what you paid for the better coins.If you expect any kind of return, send them in to a real grading service. Yes it will cost time and money, but you are asking PCGS/NGC price guide money for coins you have made up grades for. Your grading service has been around for less than two weeks. PCGS was not an overnight success and they started with world class dealers and graders. Go slow, learn, and don’t get into the business by taking advantage of people .

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@lcoopie said:

I'd trust Stevie Wonder more to grade my coins.

He’d definitely do better on circulated coins.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭

I have only been visiting coin sites since 2017, but I am going to say something that would make my family fall off their chairs in shock. I am speechless. James

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 7:22AM

Explains everything. I'm starting to think OP is just a troll winding up the community. Next thing you know, we'll get a show report saying how the coins all sold at close to the USB catalog price.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@IkesT said:
    From the OP's first thread, before it was apparently deleted via the edit bug:

https://unitedstatesbullion.org/services/

Ok. I'm starting to smell a rat.

How come when I click on "View Catalog" I see only the OP's coins? Either he's the only customer or he's the slabber.

Or both!

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikee999 said:
    Reading the OP’s comments, & commenting on this thread have been a total waste of my time.

I’m outta here.

Buy hey you got your post count up😜

Martin

• Options

@FinnsCoin said:
    Being completely honest I wanted to start a grading business with the best of my abilities and I decided to start it with my own coins

Nothing you have posted so far has been "completely honest." 🤣

This discussion has been closed.