Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My experience with CMQ

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 21, 2024 7:09AM in U.S. Coin Forum

@pointfivezero had a thread a few weeks back about his experience with CMQ. Thought I'd send some to see what was what.

Sent 4 pieces that I felt were good. Three were green CAC, one a recent $20 saint that had been an NCI 63/63 that I submitted to NGC where it returned 64.

All four received the CMQ sticker. One that I was hoping would Gold Grif™ (CMQ-X) didn't. One that I thought might Gold Grif™ did.

Overall:
Speed was very good. Less than 4 weeks from the day I shipped to the day they were returned.
Customer service was excellent. Friendly and helpful every step of the way.
Price was fine. Like $20 per coin. But remember, that's having David Hall and Greg Roberts examine and unanimously agree the piece is solid or exceptional. And they will buy your pieces back.

I'll definitely send more pieces. I think their usefulness is slightly more nuanced than CAC. But as CAC phases out stickering, CMQ has strong potential.

For the uninitiated: Green Grif™ means the piece meets Hall & Roberts' rigorous standards. Gold Grif™ is a coin so exceptional that, according to David Hall "Makes you shake your head in wonderment".

My PCGS MS63 OGH 1921 VAM-1H (Satin Proof Dies), CAC and now CMQ-X

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the "Gold Grif". The Peace has some nice detail.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, and that's a lovely '21 Peace.

I sent a 7 coin submission to CMQ in December. 4 of 7 passed. Two of which were previously rejected by CAC, and two of which are on their way to CAC at the moment.

Only one of the 7 was previously CAC'd, and much to my surprise, that one failed CMQ.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 8:13AM

@Weiss said: For the uninitiated: Green Grif™ means the piece meets Hall & Roberts' rigorous standards. Gold Grif™ is a coin so exceptional that, according to David Hall "Makes you shake your head in wonderment."

They should add a rainbow sticker and award it as a Good Grief. :o

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

love the book as well :)

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 8:50AM

Some of the pieces in the upcoming SB auction which stickered are pretty processed. See the 1842 $2.5 in 45 as one example.

Hall seemed to like bright gold and PCGS holdered a lot of processed gold in his time. It’s no wonder so much gold was processed if that’s what the market making service appreciated.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Some of the pieces in the upcoming SB auction which stickered are pretty processed. See the 1842 $2.5 in 45 as one example.

Hall seemed to like bright gold and PCGS holdered a lot of processed gold in his time. It’s no wonder so much gold was processed if that’s what the market making service appreciated.

It will be interesting to watch then. A good test about Hall's view of the market.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stickers, stickers and more stickers ...

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

Is this the one you're referring to? Could you point out what to look for that indicates "processing"? Trying to learn as gold is not my area of expertise.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@Boosibri said:

Is this the one you're referring to? Could you point out what to look for that indicates "processing"? Trying to learn as gold is not my area of expertise.

Not to jump in, but once you have spent enough time collecting old gold, you can spot "processed" coins from a mile away. "processed" can be described as the surfaces being dipped/altered to enhance and brighten a coin. Untouched gold typical has "skin" or crust from being around almost 200 years (especially early gold). It is not common to see grit in crevices or toning on original gold. CAC historically will not sticker these processed coins unless they are under graded. I too have seen non CAC early gold get the CMQ sticker. The CMQ coins are typically nice for the grade, but are not as stringent as far as originality goes.

Hope this helps! I'll also defer to Brian, who has been collecting original gold for longer than I have.

Well said

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 7:40PM

Maybe you should check out the silver for sale on Hall's website, pretty darn bright white too for silver imo

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    Thanks for resurrecting this topic, @Weiss.

My initial experience with CMQ was a little bumpy, but I was pleased overall. As for adding market value, my small sample experience was inconclusive. As a reminder, I submitted a gold CAC Texas commemorative in an old fattie holder. I (over)paid $500 for the coin at a local coin show. CMQ awarded it their Gold Grif™:

I listed it on ebay and it sold for $480 before the fees and shipping.

The same year and grade gold CAC rattler without the CMQ-X sticker sold for $504 (with the juice) last year:

Way too early to predict the long term value of the CMQ sticker but my first flip was a loser.

Tim

I would guess that the auction venue mattered more than the extra gold sticker. That looks like a very nice coin.

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

@pointfivezero said:

My initial experience with CMQ was a little bumpy, but I was pleased overall. As for adding market value, my small sample experience was inconclusive. As a reminder, I submitted a gold CAC Texas commemorative in an old fattie holder. I (over)paid $500 for the coin at a local coin show. CMQ awarded it their Gold Grif™:

The same year and grade gold CAC rattler without the CMQ-X sticker sold for $504 (with the juice) last year:

Way too early to predict the long term value of the CMQ sticker but my first flip was a loser.

Tim

I would guess that the auction venue mattered more than the extra gold sticker. That looks like a very nice coin.

And the rattler certainly added to the premium here.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 21 is a knockout.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:

@pointfivezero said:

Tim

There's multiple differences. P vs N. Last year vs this year. Different venue.

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    I'm sorry, but every time I see someone refer to "Grif" I read "grift". Unhelpful, I know. ;)

It’s ok, every time I read CMQ I read kumquat. 🍊

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    Things may change down the road but IMO a grif adds little to no value today. If a coin has a grif but not a green sticker it suggests that the coin has previously been to NJ. I wouldn’t consign a coin to Stacks without a grif. Even if not the case potential buyers might think the coin flunked in grif land.

To your point, here's a gold grif with no CAC sticker:

Tim

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    If a coin has a grif but not a green sticker it suggests that the coin has previously been to NJ.

It actually suggests nothing.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor said:

@skier07 said:
    If a coin has a grif but not a green sticker it suggests that the coin has previously been to NJ.

I can’t imagine too many people sending coins to CMQ before sending them to CAC. If the CMQ brand down the road adds value to a coin things may be different.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Luxor said:

@skier07 said:

If the coin is for sale, it's unlikely a seller would leave money on the table without first trying to get Hall's AND Albanese's autographs on the slab.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2024 7:02PM

I have some CACG but no stickered at this time. I cant see paying for more than one sticker service - increases cost.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file