Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1918 Magnetic Lincoln Wheat Cent

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    @CaptHenway I've never heard of coins being X-rayed. When you were working as an authenticator at ANACS, how many coins were X-rayed? Can someone show us a pic of an X-ray of a coin? Due to the density of the metal, I doubt that it's even possible. In the case of the subject coin, a magnet was the only tool needed to make their determination.

I had heard of it being done decades ago, though I have no experience with it. However, if they can x-ray pipe welds it should be possible to x-ray a coin looking for either an irregular lump of slag or a smooth sheet or rod of steel.

If anybody ever tries it, I recommend doing a common normal coin first, to establish a base result and to see if it damages the coin in any way.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    The Use Of X-Ray Spectrographic's In Numismatics

Some additional info.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1095793/the-use-of-x-ray-spectrographics-in-numismatics#latest

x-ray spec would pick up if the magnetic slag were mixed in, or the unlikely circumstance of it being on the surface

in this case we're talking x-raying a coin like a person looking for variations in the image that might indicate included slag

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

A simpler way to test it, outside of the slab of course, would be to see if the substance that attracts to the magnet is all over the coin (as in the metal plate I mentioned above) or localized (as in a piece of ferrous slag or a rod).

Lay the coin on a flat, non-metallic surface. Place a strong magnet on the flat surface and then move it towards the coin at 12 O'clock until the coin is attracted to the magnet. Slowly lift the magnet to test how strong the attraction is there.

Now repeat the test at 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock, etc. See if the strength is the same all the way around the coin. That would suggest a steel plate inside a magician's piece. If it is stronger on two opposite sides, say 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock, that might suggest the steel rod technique suggested above. If it is strong near one clock position , or only near the center, then that would suggest a single ferrous inclusion.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it were a magician's coin, wouldn't the authenticators at ANACS have found a seam or other evidence of the coin having been tampered with when they performed their routine microscopic examination?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

_ routine microscopic examination_ LOL.

• Options

@SoCalBigMark said:
    _ routine microscopic examination_ LOL.

They would routinely perform a microscopic examination of an unusual coin such as this one.

• Options

Still waiting on a response from my email to Anacs. Will post what they say. As far as magnetism, it is definitely off center. There is more magnetism on one side than the other.

• Options

• Options

Any mention if the coin was tampered with?

Is it worth sending it to another grading company for further evaluation? I would do this if it would increase the value.

Thank you all for your input and following up with your connections!!!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't scratch it with that magnet............................................to late! :s

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SamsonBringo said:

Is it worth sending it to another grading company for further evaluation? I would do this if it would increase the value.

I don't think it's an "error" that is likely to have significant value. It's not an error you can see. The errors that have value tend to be dramatic, visible errors. As it is, I'm not sure it's worth the money you've already invested in it, although I could be wrong.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SamsonBringo said:

So you’re in a bit of a conundrum now. If you send this to another grading company, they will have to crack it out to evaluate it and determine if it’s been messed with, and best case scenario, it will be holdered as genuine - details scratched. Worst case it’s cracked and is body bagged for damage/questionable authenticity/etc. Then you’d have to send it back to ANACS to get it in the holder it’s currently in again.

Don’t turn this coin into a never ending money pit.

I think what you’d have to do is use NGC to get them to perform the “metallurgic analysis” readout for $75, plus the grading fee, plus the error fee, plus shipping, plus a membership fee (if you’re not already a member).

• Options

@cmerlo1 I appreciate all you have done.
    @1madman yeah it would add up when looking at the total cost.
    I might investigate auction houses, or sell on eBay for $1M. Ha! I was hoping to get a couple hundred so I can buy a used pickup cap.
    All- thank you again for your research & responses.

I do have a bunch of other coins of many different varieties that I have to look at. Will post the interesting ones after hunting season.

This is a top notch site with a wealth of knowledgeable people. Glad I found it.

• Options

@cmerlo1 said:

@SamsonBringo said:

If our graders thought it had been tampered with, it would've come back to you in a flip instead of a slab, guaranteed authentic.

How was the ring?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is one of the more interesting finds posted here. Looking forward to it's continuing story.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

I received an email from Anacs. I would need to submit the coin again for any additional evaluation. I’m going with what the experts have said on this forum. @cmerlo1 said it’s “guaranteed authentic “. That’s all I wanted to know. So I’m not investing any more money in the coin.

• Options

@SamsonBringo said:
    I received an email from Anacs. I would need to submit the coin again for any additional evaluation. I’m going with what the experts have said on this forum. @cmerlo1 said it’s “guaranteed authentic “. That’s all I wanted to know. So I’m not investing any more money in the coin.

Smart move. It looks just fine in its current holder. Enjoy your unique and unusual coin. B)

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still not convinced. Seems like ANACS called it "thoroughly magnetic" by simply checking if it is magnetic. Doesn't mean anything. If they provided one piece of evidence to support their decision then I would be more inclined to consider it slag.
    Oh well, can't look at the edges anymore.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some might have preferred it in NGC or PCGS plastic, but in any case I think it's where it should be - in a slab with a label.

Unless you cut the coin open we'll never know for sure what's inside, but I think you've taken it as far as you can/should.

I could ask why you are taking a magnet to random coins, but I guess that label says it all. :)

• Options

I started saving old looking coins when I delivered newspapers back in the 70’s. Around 10 years ago when we became empty nesters I sorted the wheats and ran a magnet over them to look for the holy grail. This coin stuck but was the wrong year. It went into a baggie along with several other coins that need another look. Retired 3 years ago, sold big house, and finally settled. Started looking at the coins and doing some research on line for the ones I bagged years back. Brought it to the local shop this summer and now we are here. This wasn’t on my radar when I started looking at my coins again. I have a nickel that is copper color somewhere.

Being a novice It’s a painstakingly process to research a single coin. Finally bought a light/magnifying lens from harbor freight. Will get back at it after hunting season and post any that may be interesting.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@SamsonBringo said:

If our graders thought it had been tampered with, it would've come back to you in > @jacrispies said:

Still not convinced. Seems like ANACS called it "thoroughly magnetic" by simply checking if it is magnetic. Doesn't mean anything. If they provided one piece of evidence to support their decision then I would be more inclined to consider it slag.

We provided an opinion, which is what grading services do. That opinion was based on a consensus of the experts who looked at the coin. That isn't something any grading service that offers a guarantee backed by their own money takes lightly.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting thread!! I guess I now have to test all my coins for magnetism!!! :#

• Options

@cmerlo1 said:

@CaptHenway said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@SamsonBringo said:

If our graders thought it had been tampered with, it would've come back to you in > @jacrispies said:

We provided an opinion, which is what grading services do. That opinion was based on a consensus of the experts who looked at the coin. That isn't something any grading service that offers a guarantee backed by their own money takes lightly.

Wasn’t ANACS wanting to buy back the 1959 Lincoln wheat cent they authenticated decades ago, but they wouldn’t offer more than the small value listed on the original submission form? If your statement is true, the company would be ready to compensate millions of dollars for the return of that coin.

This person’s magnetic cent is perhaps worth less than the ANACS grading fees, so there is no risk, unless he valued the coin in the thousands++ dollars and ANACS will pay that full listed value.

• Options

@1madman said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@CaptHenway said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@SamsonBringo said:

Wasn’t ANACS wanting to buy back the 1959 Lincoln wheat cent they authenticated decades ago, but they wouldn’t offer more than the small value listed on the original submission form? If your statement is true, the company would be ready to compensate millions of dollars for the return of that coin.

This person’s magnetic cent is perhaps worth less than the ANACS grading fees, so there is no risk, unless he valued the coin in the thousands++ dollars and ANACS will pay that full listed value.

Did the owner of the 1959 Lincoln pay millions for that coin?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@1madman said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@CaptHenway said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@SamsonBringo said:

Nope, and that’s the point. If real that coin most likely is worth millions, and ANACS authenticated it as real. ANACS wants it back and is wanting to pay the paltry amount originally listed on that submission form. If the owner of this magnetic cent valued it at $1 million on the submission form, I’m wondering if ANACS would have body bagged it to avoid the guarantee?

• Options

@1madman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@1madman said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@CaptHenway said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@SamsonBringo said:

Nope, and that’s the point. If real that coin most likely is worth millions, and ANACS authenticated it as real. ANACS wants it back and is wanting to pay the paltry amount originally listed on that submission form. If the owner of this magnetic cent valued it at $1 million on the submission form, I’m wondering if ANACS would have body bagged it to avoid the guarantee?

All they have to do is call it a mechanical error and remove it from their database.

I'm not familiar with the time line but didn't ANACS change hands and guarantees.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread! I have nothing to add except more head scratching

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@1madman said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@CaptHenway said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@SamsonBringo said:

His declared value on the original submission was $300.00.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2023 12:50PM

@CaptHenway said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@1madman said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@CaptHenway said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@SamsonBringo said:

His declared value on the original submission was $300.00.

Interesting. How did he arrive at that, I wonder?

Totally forgot this thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1083378/1959-wheat-cent-accidentally-certified-by-anacs-back-in-1973-certificate-5022

• Options
    rsei0120rsei0120 Posts: 127 ✭✭

Experts at GSA could not figure it out, so we are sending to NGC to authenticate and find out, it will either be a very rare Coin, or
    A very very good fake, I will let you all know

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SamsonBringo Thanks for posting this and welcome the the Forum! What an interesting read!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2024 3:39PM

Stupid questions...

Would the slag not melt in the process of making the blanks?

In case others are found, wouldn't documenting the die marriage for posterity be advisable?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@yspsales said:
    Stupid questions...

In case others are found, wouldn't documenting the die marriage for posterity be advisable?

Depends on the relative melting point and when it fell in. If it fell in during rolling, then probably not.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the scratch was from someone previously finding out it was magnetic and then scratching to see if they could figure out why.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would expect more than one to exist.

Does the magnet react thru the plastic?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@yspsales said:
    I would expect more than one to exist.

Does the magnet react thru the plastic?

Depends on how strong a magnet...

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    Stupid questions...

Here is a section in the error ref .com that comments on this just a little.
    Next is a coin week article on similar but not normal to process.

https://www.error-ref.com/alloy-errors-slag-inclusions-3/

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/peace-dollar-coin-world-numismatics-coin-collecting-lamination-contamination-solder.html

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I have no picture. But a guy came into a friend's shop today with a 1918 Wheat Cent that was magnetic. Not plated. VG/Fine on wear. 3.0 grams.

Foreign planchet? Or are there accidental magnetic alloy mixes known for U.S. cents?

He who laughs last LAUGHS BEST!

For any of you who are still naysayers: We have a 1937 MAGNETIC Lincoln cent right now at ICG. The coin is XF, looks 100% genuine and weighs 2.97gms. Glad to see ANA slabbed one. The CRH found it by waving a magnet over a bunch of junk Lincoln cents and was as shocked as much as I was when he submitted it. Guess who is checking his Wheeties with a magnet from now on. :p

• Options

@rsei0120 said:
    Experts at GSA could not figure it out, so we are sending to NGC to authenticate and find out, it will either be a very rare Coin, or

What coin are you referring to?
    It’s not the 1918, because I’m holding it in my hand right now debating on what I should do with it.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Place a copper cent between two 1943 cents held together by a wooden close pin. Run electric current through the two steel cents and the copper cent should be magnetic. Don't drop it. lol might be the first clad cent.
    Read this on a forum years ago. I would probably be electrocuted. lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Place a copper cent between two 1943 cents held together by a wooden close pin. Run electric current through the two steel cents and the copper cent should be magnetic. Don't drop it. lol might be the first clad cent.
    Read this on a forum years ago. I would probably be electrocuted. lol
    Jim

This comment made me think of the "shrunken" coins that were all the rage years ago...anyone else remember those?

imageimage

• Options
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2024 6:20AM

If magnetic an mri might be a bad idea.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone think it's worth the $12,500? 🤔

I guess this in the description is the new standard for spectacular riches: "Show me another Lincoln Wheat cent that is certified / authenticated." :|

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the label read
    Nikola Tesla Hoard
    There would probably be a buyer.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Does anyone think it's worth the $12,500? 🤔

I guess this in the description is the new standard for spectacular riches: "Show me another Lincoln Wheat cent that is certified / authenticated." :|

No. And while I'm not surprised that he (or anyone) threw it up there hoping to win the lottery, it is a little disappointing. It's only 100x to 200x the actual value!

• Options

@SamsonBringo said:

@rsei0120 said:

What coin are you referring to?
    It’s not the 1918, because I’m holding it in my hand right now debating on what I should do with it.

Apparently trying to sell it for $12,500 is the right answer?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not convinced it would move at 125$ dollars at a show

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file