• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah. i was going to say that a promise of monday and actually doing it are another.

is this the owner saying monday? has it been conserved? is it still in the same holder?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 9:55AM

This is the point I stepped in and created this thread.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

"choice bu"?

providing quite a number of those is a far cry to equivalency

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    "choice bu"?

There was no attempt at equivalency. It was just a gift as far as I can tell

• Options

@AlanSki said:

Not for nothing, but not one word in the texts you posted would be admissible in court. It's all hearsay.

Why didn't you just call Hunt? (Curiosity, not an accusation. )

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 10:04AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    "choice bu"?

There was no attempt at equivalency. It was just a gift as far as I can tell

A gift or some form of appeasement for not doing a service that was requested over 1 year ago?

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy...
    Coin forum or court room?
    This kinda went off the rails all the sudden, like @Pnies20 said, its not my business... good luck!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@AlanSki said:

Not for nothing, but not one word in the texts you posted would be admissible in court. It's all hearsay.

Why didn't you just call Hunt? (Curiosity, not an accusation. )

This isn’t court. This was to show a timeline of events from my perspective from what I was told just so everyone has the information from my side. If the dealer ever decides to come in and refute anything, everything I know or was told is here.

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

I would view with favor the dealer coming on the forum to explain what happened, after the coin is returned.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki seems like you have gotten some help from a few quality board members to help get this resolved.
    But you keep stirring the pot. Let it rest and see what happens next week before you continue on your rant

Just a suggestion
    Martin

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hunt. . . Hunt... H U N T

:#:#

Anyone remember the Hunt brothers?

:/

peacockcoins

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

I remember Ethan. He had a brother?

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing how one side of a story can provoke such drama.

It would be a lot more fun if we had both sides. At least then, some of the emotional responses might be justified.

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

Yes & has anyone remembered Sea Hunt*

*just to add to my post count.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Not posting on this forum is not proof of anything

Maybe not absolute proof, but it is certainly equal time and would put an end to any "slander" or "libel" that was allegedly taking place.

I have found that when one side makes public a cause for action and the other side does NOT....that most times, the former has the much stronger case.

• Options

Alan, "says to some auction" -- is that a typo......SENT to some auction ?

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 1:14PM

No urgency yet they had it for over a year and he requested it back numerous times.

Gotcha. Typical dealer gibberish.

Show who I really am. A 100% disabled combat veteran sticking up for his aging father so he can get his property back.

Btw.. the comment about me not telling my father anything???

• Options

Instead of “The forum needs a little humor” replace it with

This thread needs a little humor*

*another add to my post count post.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 1:29PM

What Hunt isn’t saying is the “Invoice” supposedly says “Appraisal” on it. What dealer would need to take a coin for appraisal when they can pull out a loupe and a phone, check CDN bid/ask prices and do it right there. However, he even stated he knew my father wanted conservation even going as far to say PCGS told him not to dip it. Then it suddenly is going to get wholesaled, but never does? Something isn’t adding up. It doesn’t take over 12 months to figure that out.

If it were a multimillionaire with a $200k coin would he have been given the same 12 month treatment? Highly doubtful.

Since Hunt seems to think I want my father’s assets, I think it’s the other way around. I know you had a collector who wanted his high end commemoratives but I sold them for him and he received 100% of the money without paying commission.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 1:35PM

If my memory is correct I remember buying 10 one ounce gold Kruggerands from Mr. Hunt in the early 2000s for something like $285 each which at that time was a huge $um for me.

My family thought I was crazy to spend so much money.

I still have them.

This is not an “add to my post count” post.

• Options

@AlanSki said:
    What Hunt isn’t saying is the “Invoice” supposedly says “Appraisal” on it. What dealer would need to take a coin for appraisal when they can pull out a loupe and a phone, check CDN bid/ask prices and do it right there. However, he even stated he knew my father wanted conservation even going as far to say PCGS told him not to dip it. Then it suddenly is going to get wholesaled, but never does? Something isn’t adding up. It doesn’t take over 12 months to figure that out.

If it were a multimillionaire with a $200k coin would he have been given the same 12 month treatment? Highly doubtful.

Since Hunt seems to think I want my father’s assets, I think it’s the other way around. I know you had a collector who wanted his high end commemoratives but I sold them for him and he received 100% of the money without paying commission.

Actually, it does make sense. "Appraisal" might be a catch all. Different dealers use different phrases for coins they are not buying but are trying to place.

If you send it to PCGS, that can take several months. It can also take a couple months to go round trip to Stack's. It also is not a full time job for Mr. Hunt.

While a year is a long time, it can take that long if you are trying multiple channels because it can take 2+ months for some of those channels.

I again suggest you take a step back from this.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    Alan: You are aware that PCGS can not “restore” coins in other company holders without an upfront agreement on what PCGS strongly believes the coin will grade out at after the restoration. Yes? This takes time - and lots of it. Months and months typically on a coin like this one. And, in the end, PCGS elected to not conserve the coin and involve itself in the project. They passed on the income. A far better outcome than a botched up restoration that had the coin being put in a PCGS holder many grades below the present grade, if graded at all. So, as far as the restoration project went (while it took a very long time) it appears to me PCGS and Alhambra did a great job protecting your father’s property (despite his wishes for restoration). Understood and agreed to?

Wondercoin.

He’s getting it back after 12 months and that’s what matters now. This will be my final post In this thread no matter who else posts here.

Thanks to all who ended this nightmare of a situation for everyone involved.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see this coming to a positive conclusion. LIke Shakespeare said, "All's well that ends well".

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like this thread had a happy ending. The coin will be returned. In light of the response posted by the dealer, I don’t see any reputational harm.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disappointed my spidey senses did not pick up on...
    ANACS holder
    Problem Coin
    PCGS valuation

Recipe for disappointment.

Have had this same tough journey with my dad.

Age can sometimes hinder their decision process, thus kicking the can down the road.

So one problem coin in a big company get shelved.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 2:46PM

@Aotearoa said:
    I remember Ethan. He had a brother?

Well, getting the coin back WAS turning into Mission: Impossible !!

"Collectors Universe posters...your mission....if you choose to accept it....is to get the coin back or a reasonable explanation of what has transpired... As always, should you or any of your CU associates be caught, the CU Moderators will disavow any knowledge of you or your operation." :D

Seriously, glad it finally looks resolved to BOTH parties contention.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    I was just asked to post this by Alhambra while they wait to get their new PCGS Forum account approved by the PCGS moderator(s):

"I have tried to fix a problem of a coin that I did not sell him, but naturally deteriorated in an old ANACS holder? I spoke to PCGS, (they told me not to touch it)...He bought it as a 65 but it’s now barely a 63 and after you get it and dip it it will be a cleaned unc.

This is something to keep in mind when one thinks of dipping.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 3:05PM

This thread is a fun read. I enjoyed reading it a lot especially when these terms are posted by well respected members of the forum:

police
    lawyers
    slander
    libel
    law suit
    etc

This is another addition to my post count.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

Have to be carefully when not dealing with firsthand information. We have Hunt to dad to sister to poster which is probably not entirely accurate. Appears a quick call would have sorted this out.

• Options

@nags said:
    Have to be carefully when not dealing with firsthand information. We have Hunt to dad to sister to poster which is probably not entirely accurate. Appears a quick call would have sorted this out.

Agree. Or a more anonymous contact from Wondercoin.

• Options

@nags said:

Agree. Or a more anonymous contact from Wondercoin.

• Options

We all know now the said coin is NOT a $5K coin, but significantly less than $5K.

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can contact the png which is a waste of time. Unfortunately they side with the dealers. It’s a good old boy system.
    I found this out first hand , the ANA was more help to me. Eventually the PNG came around to help only after they knew the ANA was informed about my problem with the dealer.
    I ended up emailing Stopcoinfraud.com The dealer had changed there tune after that within a few days. So I would contact them

@AlanSki said:

Over a year ago my 86 year old father sent a MS65 Grant Star to a dealer to try and have some restoration done on it at PCGS. He received paperwork from the dealer specifying what he wanted to do even though the dealer acknowledged he never sent it in.

For the last 6 months my father has been requesting the return of the coin but the dealers “worker” has been sending him cheap slabs instead of the Grant Star. My father has met with him numerous times requesting the coin back to no avail.

Both my father and the dealer are in Southern California while I’m in South Dakota, so it’s difficult for me to try and intervene.

At this point, what would be his best course of action? Contact a lawyer to write an intent to sue if the coin isn’t returned or???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file