Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Update… Coin returned!

Comments

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

o:)

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭

I have been following this thread from the beginning. Hopefully, an explainable oversight, but clearly the dealer did not do what he was asked to do by the customer over a year ago. Your father will be very relieved to finally get the coin back. The dealer is accusing the OP of slander; making false accusations? Wow.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    The arrogance is palpable.

For real.
    Not sure exactly how much gravitas this forum holds in the dealer world these days, but for sure it'd be better to explain oneself right here while there is an opportunity.
    Especially if the thread gets locked or poofed all of the sudden..

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@JBK said:
    I was hoping for a happy ending but that outfit has forever tarnished its reputation in my book. :/

Sue for slander for laying out the facts? :#

This thread could have ended in such a way that the coin shop could have earned alot of goodwill and commendation. But they chose another path....

To be fair, the other side of the story (and facts) are unknown to us.

Which is why naming people in threads like this is usually a bad idea...

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@JBK said:
    I was hoping for a happy ending but that outfit has forever tarnished its reputation in my book. :/

This thread could have ended in such a way that the coin shop could have earned alot of goodwill and commendation. But they chose another path....

Not to mention posting their photos, however obtained.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2024 7:08PM

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@JBK said:

No, it was a good idea. A year is long enough to test anyone's patience.

Mark

That is rather beside the point. As Wondercoin pointed out, there are a lot of facts that may not be known. Exacerbating the situation by naming people can also turn out badly. Whether it worked this time or not does not make it a good idea in general.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spoke to my father again. Alhambra coin is going to return his coin and has threatened to sue me for slander if I don’t retract this thread. I said I’ll request the thread be nuked once he has his coin in hand.

That ship sailed... Google the Streisand Effect...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    Why is everyone so Litigious these days?

All anyone can think to do is sue someone.

Very glad your dad is getting his coin back!

It's been a YEAR and the father has gotten no where...it's well passed time to break out the big words like LITIGATION.
    Some people just don't understand or want to hear anything until they are prompted by litigation.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2024 7:41PM

@Pnies20 said:

Is it because there are more lawyers than lawyer work?
    I hope the coin gets returned in next couple days.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

@Pnies20 said:

It's been a YEAR and the father has gotten no where...it's well passed time to break out the big words like LITIGATION.
    Some people just don't understand or want to hear anything until they are prompted by litigation.

Wasn’t referring to his dad.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@conrad99 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@JBK said:

Not to mention posting their photos, however obtained.

“However obtained”? It’s from a little app called Instagram. The post is quite complimentary about Alhambra. You should watch it.

Tim

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    As Wondercoin pointed out, there are a lot of facts that may not be known. Exacerbating the situation by naming >people can also turn out badly. Whether it worked this time or not does not make it a good idea in general.

If the other party has been wronged, they can state here WHY they were wronged and everybody who took the opposing side will look like a jerk.

If this was an honest mistake, fine...mistakes happen. But as a few people here said, this took a year to get back a coin. When someone asks that you return something, it's pretty straightforward.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, after a year- has this commemorative been conserved as requested?

peacockcoins

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@rte592 said:

@Pnies20 said:

Wasn’t referring to his dad.

You did ask “Why is everyone.,,”😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    So, after a year- has this commemorative been conserved as requested?

I should find out Monday.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark,
    To be fair, if this dealer is not a PCGS board member it takes a couple of days sometimes to get approved to post.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    Mark,
    To be fair, if this dealer is not a PCGS board member it takes a couple of days sometimes to get approved to post.

I'm sure the mods would expedite matters. Regardless, if they had another side to this whole fracas, they should be able to post it within a day or so.

It does appear that this dispute was with an EMPLOYEE of the firm, NOT the OWNERS.

Big difference. :)

• Options

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@JBK said:

No, it was a good idea. A year is long enough to test anyone's patience.

Mark

That is rather beside the point. As Wondercoin pointed out, there are a lot of facts that may not be known. Exacerbating the situation by naming people can also turn out badly. Whether it worked this time or not does not make it a good idea in general.

What might I have said that's "beside the point"? The man has been requesting the return of his coin for at least 6 months to no avail. The fact that the coin has been in the dealer's possession for a year and has yet to be sent to PCGS is unacceptable.

An 86 year old man waiting years for his property to be returned with his most interested son 1000 miles away may also not generate a favorable result.

It appears the dealer has the link to this thread and may state their case any time on this open forum should the OP have misstated the facts. Instead of threatening the OP, the company could apologize and promptly return the property they have held for a year or come here and tell us the "facts that may not be known" if there are any. No need to ask to delete a thread... if the truth favors the dealer. So far their silence speaks for itself.

Mark

What is "beside the point" is that whether justice was served (or not) in this thread, the general practice is a bad idea. We had a case a year or two ago where someone was publicly outed and it turned out that the person posting was only telling part of the story. It happens.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    As Wondercoin pointed out, there are a lot of facts that may not be known. Exacerbating the situation by naming >people can also turn out badly. Whether it worked this time or not does not make it a good idea in general.

If the other party has been wronged, they can state here WHY they were wronged and everybody who took the opposing side will look like a jerk.

If this was an honest mistake, fine...mistakes happen. But as a few people here said, this took a year to get back a coin. When someone asks that you return something, it's pretty straightforward.

This is not a court of law. There is, generally speaking, no certified letter sent from the forum to the other party. Usually, we NEVER hear the other side of the story because the outed party never even knows they were outed.

The outing of the dealer in this case had little to do with the outcome. Wondercoin contacted the party which could have happened privately without the rest of us ever knowing who was involved.

There is a reason why courts have rules of evidence and the like.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:
    @wondercoin @MFeld @SanctionII
    I spoke to my father again. Alhambra coin is going to return his coin and has threatened to sue me for slander if I don’t retract this thread. I said I’ll request the thread be nuked once he has his coin in hand.

Yup, sue a 100% disabled veteran for helping his aging father get a coin back. Get a load of that nonsense.

I'm not an attorney but I believe they can't sue for slander. Slander is defamation in oral form; libel is defamation in written form based on untruth. Also, the OP did not post the images of the parties mentioned, someone else did that. If the facts are as the OP states I doubt, there is any case for suing.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very sad story so far, to be sure and I suppose we may never know all the details. Many of the comments do reflect 20-20 hindsight but hopefully it all works out reasonable well even with the huge delay. Like others I would like to hear the other side of the story even if it is difficult to imagine good explanations.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@tcollects said:
    sounds like they were just waiting for grandpa to die and keep the coin

I hope you don’t really believe that, but either way, there are a multitude of far more plausible explanations.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@tcollects said:

I hope you don’t really believe that, but either way, there are a multitude of far more plausible explanations.

What would a few of the plausible explanations be? Would any show the dealer in a good light or get them "off the hook"?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@MFeld said:

@tcollects said:

What would a few of the plausible explanations be? Would any show the dealer in a good light or get them "off the hook"?

It could have been a misunderstanding and/or miscommunication between the parties involved or a message, that for whatever reason, the other party didn’t receive, and so on.

This is a well known, long time dealer with an excellent track record. Based on one side of the story, it appears they messed up over a long period of time. But that’s a far cry from “sounds like they were just waiting for grandpa to die and keep the coin”.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭

okay, I'm convinced now that everything about this is on the up and up and easily explainable

• Options

@tcollects said:
    okay, I'm convinced now that everything about this is on the up and up and easily explainable

And I’m equally (un)convinced that your theory is valid.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    A very sad story so far, to be sure and I suppose we may never know all the details. Many of the comments do >reflect 20-20 hindsight but hopefully it all works out reasonable well even with the huge delay. Like others I would >like to hear the other side of the story even if it is difficult to imagine good explanations.

Absolutely. If the Owner or Employee of the firm posts here that they attempted to resolve this....or sent him in writing an update...or he owed them $$$...or anything like that....I'll be the first to state that the OP knowingly or unknowingly didn't have all the facts (maybe because his father IS 86 years old). However, this does seem pretty cut-and-dried on the basic facts.

Again, I just want justice done with the coin returned (or at least given the original servicing request for restoration). If the Owner/Employee has another side, we should see it soon.

I think we can all agree it is highly UNLIKELY that they have a legitimate defense if they never post it here.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@7Jaguars said:
    A very sad story so far, to be sure and I suppose we may never know all the details. Many of the comments do >reflect 20-20 hindsight but hopefully it all works out reasonable well even with the huge delay. Like others I would >like to hear the other side of the story even if it is difficult to imagine good explanations.

Absolutely. If the Owner or Employee of the firm posts here that they attempted to resolve this....or sent him in writing an update...or he owed them $$$...or anything like that....I'll be the first to state that the OP knowingly or unknowingly didn't have all the facts (maybe because his father IS 86 years old). However, this does seem pretty cut-and-dried on the basic facts.

Again, I just want justice done with the coin returned (or at least given the original servicing request for restoration). If the Owner/Employee has another side, we should see it soon.

I think we can all agree it is highly UNLIKELY that they have a legitimate defense if they never post it here.

They may have no desire to be on this forum.

Also, If they are threatening legal action because of this thread, their counsel would strongly discourage coming into the thread and posting in it.

Would like to know more info but it’s none of my business.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

We don't know that the dealer refused to return it, that's just what we've been told. I saw no dates from the OP so it may not have actually been a year. We don't know the true timeline, the original agreement, or what the subsequent conversations were like. We don't know what the sample slabs are all about.

All we have is a person whose elderly father doesn't have his coin and suspects he's being taken advantage of. This could have easily colored his perception of the situation and affected how he relays the story to third parties. We simply have no independent information.

It should also be noted that the OP is the one who in his original post initiated discussion about legal action, not the dealer, so the outrage about the dealer's response seems misplaced. IF the facts are not as the OP has stated then the dealer's response is understandable (if probably a bit excessive) given the initial threat and subsequent agreement by forum members about the possibility of legal action.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to read that the coin is being returned to its owner.

• Options

@fluffy155 said:
    We don't know that the dealer refused to return it, that's just what we've been told. I saw no dates from the OP so it may not have actually been a year. We don't know the true timeline, the original agreement, or what the subsequent conversations were like. We don't know what the sample slabs are all about.

All we have is a person whose elderly father doesn't have his coin and suspects he's being taken advantage of. This could have easily colored his perception of the situation and affected how he relays the story to third parties. We simply have no independent information.

It should also be noted that the OP is the one who in his original post initiated discussion about legal action, not the dealer, so the outrage about the dealer's response seems misplaced. IF the facts are not as the OP has stated then the dealer's response is understandable (if probably a bit excessive) given the initial threat and subsequent agreement by forum members about the possibility of legal action.

While all of that is true, unfortunately, it’s irrelevant to some posters.

• Options

Dates via text as proof…

• Options

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file