Update… Coin returned!

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:

@PerryHall said:

@AlanSki said:

@wondercoin said:
    The reality is if Alanski simply listed here the dealer’s name, I suspect within 1-2 business days the entire situation would be resolved- especially if Mark Feld (or even myself) made one phone call to this So. CA dealer. Police, lawyers, Postal Inspectors, the FBI and the like - really not necessary if this dealer is a member of the PNG if I read that correctly. And, no doubt the dealer might have additional details to add some “flavor” to this very strange situation.

For that matter - Alanski could literally simply tell Mark or myself or any So CA dealer in good standing (in a private message) who this dealer is and I suspect the issue would likely be resolved in 1-2 business days).

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin (located in So. CA - quite possibly “down the street” from this dealer).

Alhambra Coin. Dealers name David Hunt.

Is he or any of his employees active participants here?

I am not certain but I do know they are on Instagram.

There use to be a coin show/shop recap thread titled "Life at the coin shop" posted here some years ago. I recall it was by a girl who worked there.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@AlanSki said:

@PerryHall said:

@AlanSki said:

@wondercoin said:
    The reality is if Alanski simply listed here the dealer’s name, I suspect within 1-2 business days the entire situation would be resolved- especially if Mark Feld (or even myself) made one phone call to this So. CA dealer. Police, lawyers, Postal Inspectors, the FBI and the like - really not necessary if this dealer is a member of the PNG if I read that correctly. And, no doubt the dealer might have additional details to add some “flavor” to this very strange situation.

For that matter - Alanski could literally simply tell Mark or myself or any So CA dealer in good standing (in a private message) who this dealer is and I suspect the issue would likely be resolved in 1-2 business days).

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin (located in So. CA - quite possibly “down the street” from this dealer).

Alhambra Coin. Dealers name David Hunt.

Is he or any of his employees active participants here?

I am not certain but I do know they are on Instagram.

There use to be a coin show/shop recap thread titled "Life at the coin shop" posted here some years ago. I recall it was by a girl who worked there.

I believe that was Amanda. She left there years ago.

Larry

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d be curious if the coin is in their case at the ANA show in Colorado Springs this weekend…

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would accept @SanctionII 's offer or at least speak with him in a private message.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    I would accept @SanctionII 's offer or at least speak with him in a private message.
    Jim

I have sent him a message. His offer is greatly appreciated and I will follow up with him within a week if it’s not resolved.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2024 9:32AM

My experience... brother had check stolen a washed. Bank covered the fraud.

After a couple months I looked into into situation. Bank showed me an image.

Googled John Doe Roofing, and there he was with weird neck tatoo and all...

Informed invesigator... got terse reply... not my case and only have my brother contact PD.

The bank cared even less.

My experience on more than one occasion. Stay on PD like stink, document, make copies, and stay on PD like stink.

My advice, get a POA or get lawyer involved.

Sometimes PD will only deal with victim.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@mattniss said:
    Certainly hope this gets resolved. FWIW Mal Varner (owner of Alhambra Coin) is one of the nicest dealers I've ever met. Always gracious with his time, extremely knowledgeable, and well respected throughout the industry from dealers and collectors alike. I would like to think Mal is unaware of this situation and I hope would do anything he can to help make things right.

Best of luck here @AlanSki --glad you have some strong support here from @SanctionII @wondercoin @MarkFeld and more.

I’m certain he is unaware. I really hate putting people’s name out there but when someone has had a coin for over a year and won’t return it, other measures must be taken.

• Options

My father has history with them so it’s wasn’t just some random encounter about sending one coin off.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that the place Artist's stolen coins ended up and he had a hard time getting them back?

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bottom line it's an unsatisfied customer.

Underlings most likely ran it up the flag pole and were rebuffed.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2024 10:44AM

‘’Certainly hope this gets resolved. FWIW Mal Varner (owner of Alhambra Coin) is one of the nicest dealers I've ever met. Always gracious with his time, extremely knowledgeable, and well respected throughout the industry from dealers and collectors alike. I would like to think Mal is unaware of this situation and I hope would do anything he can to help make things right. Best of luck here @AlanSki -- glad you have some strong support here from @SanctionII @wondercoin @MarkFeld and more.’’

It’s not uncommon for CCE dealers to ship off $100,000, $200,000 or more without payment up front to established dealers. Yes- out of the 800-900 CCE dealers worldwide, there will be a couple “bad apples” every year or two. But, Alhambra has a 25 year track record on CCE with (best I know) no one complaining about them failing to pay an Invoice. What is the likelihood that they are “running off” with a $3,500 ANACS coin in need of restoration? Slim and none? One thing AlanSki should be very thankful for - his 86 year old father obviously (likely) picked a very reputable coin dealer to work with. And, if his father gets a few more of those CAC original samples handed to him, it might just come close to covering a decent portion of the value of the “missing” coin in question! 😉

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many replies posted in this thread to the OP that offer excellent suggestions to resolve the problem.

Hopefully one or more of these suggestions will be followed by Alanski and his father, resulting in a successful resolution.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m certain he is unaware. I really hate putting people’s name out there but when someone has had a coin for over a year and won’t return it, other measures must be taken.

Alanski- You are doing a great job assisting your aging father. I predicted you will achieve a resolution of this matter in 1-2 business days. Things are moving along nicely literally in the opening inning! Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read through the tread and maybe missed it by how was the coin sent and did you get proof of delivery from the service that was used?

The statement "He received paperwork from the dealer specifying what he wanted to do" doesn't necessarily mean he received the coin but could be interpreted that this was his plan for when he received the coin.

I hope you can get this resolved.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2024 11:49AM

@pmh1nic said:
    I read through the tread and maybe missed it by how was the coin sent and did you get proof of delivery from the service that was used?

The statement "He received paperwork from the dealer specifying what he wanted to do" doesn't necessarily mean he received the coin but could be interpreted that this was his plan for when he received the coin.

I hope you can get this resolved.

The dealer drove to my father’s home, bought two coins off him then my father asked him to send the Grant Star off to PCGS for restoration. I should have clarified that.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this story. I am sure more will be revealed later. Best of luck.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently, is this Dave Hunt still employed at Alhambra Coins?

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    Currently, is this Dave Hunt still employed at Alhambra Coins?

Yes

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SethChandler posted an interview on IG a few weeks ago with the owner of Alhambra:

During the video, a guy named David entered the room. One in the same?

Tim

• Options

@pointfivezero said:
    @SethChandler posted an interview on IG a few weeks ago with the owner of Alhambra:

During the video, a guy named David entered the room. One in the same?

Tim

Second photo is David Hunt.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure hope this all works out for you, you have quite a few members on here that are really stepping up to help
    I have done some business with them in the past, I bought my 1933-s Walker PCGS MS-67 from Shelley back in 2000-2004, don't remember the year exactly but never had any issues with them so I just hope this is just a misunderstanding
    Good luck

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your father's situation. Sounds like there's some possible options based on posts here if Alhambra does not perform on their side. Hopefully the folks at Alhambra will make things right no matter how they screwed up. Did they ever give your father any order info on this particular coin or did they offer that in the past when he sent coins in?

My LCS is amazing. I recently sent off 5 coins through them and they sent me a link to the 2 separate orders as soon as they were created. One has already been returned. The other order is sitting in "Grading" status. They keep me informed every step of the way and can also follow the progress myself. I have no doubts about their honesty. They have done this in the past without any issues.

Good luck.

Mark

• Options
    edited March 15, 2024 3:35PM

@mark_dak said:
    Sorry for your father's situation. Sounds like there's some possible options based on posts here if Alhambra does not perform on their side. Hopefully the folks at Alhambra will make things right no matter how they screwed up. Did they ever give your father any order info on this particular coin or did they offer that in the past when he sent coins in?

My LCS is amazing. I recently sent off 5 coins through them and they sent me a link to the 2 separate orders as soon as they were created. One has already been returned. The other order is sitting in "Grading" status. They keep me informed every step of the way and can also follow the progress myself. I have no doubts about their honesty. They have done this in the past without any issues.

Good luck.

Mark

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like this thread and all the extra help from fellow members did the trick!!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@lermish said:
    Since this is "printed", wouldn't it be libel?

For me saying they didn’t give a coin back for over a year that they now agreed to give back?

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭

For what it’s worth I have both bought from and sold coins to Alhambra Coins with zero issues.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    ‘’To be fair, the other side of the story (and facts) are unknown to us.’’

By way of example only (and of course I don’t believe this to be the case) - what if Alan’s father owed the shop $20,000 (past due) and the shop was retaining the coin under the common law doctrine of set off, and recoupment? It might arguably be their right to refuse to return the coin. This is why the police, etc. will generally not get involved in civil “contract disputes” and they shouldn’t. Bottom line - always better to keep personal problems off the message boards and simply ask another dealer privately to help with a situation like this, or an organization like the PNG. There were upwards of 800 coin dealers on CCE alone that could have helped Alan privately (probably in 1 business day) if he went that route. A good lesson to everyone reading this thread I believe.

I just told Alhambra where this thread was located and I hope they do stop by.

Wondercoin.

I do too. I’d love to hear an explanation as to why it’s taken over 1 year to return the coin all while he has met in person with my father numerous times.

TBH, I never knew what CCE was. I’m a novice when it comes to collecting but always willing to learn something new.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The arrogance is palpable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file