Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thoughts on this $20 Saint...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Common date for sure... I'd like to get opinions on grade and eye appeal. Thanks in advance...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

64-65, weaker than normal obv. strike

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 2:45PM

I would grade it AU58, but I'm sure it is market graded as MS62/3. Flashy and I'm not seeing any large hits or abrasions, the rim does seem a bit beat up.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

The luster looks vibrant, the color, attractive and I’ll guess 63 on the grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64. Nice way to buy some gold bullion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

That photo reads 58+ to me but I’d guess it’s in a 63 holder. It’s hard to tell though. Personally I find it very attractive with very good eye appeal.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is flatness at the high points... still nice in that the fields look good. Not a 65 but better the typical examples. 64 seems fair

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with Mark about the luster & color, but with a caveat on the grade. Since it has a TV, I’ll assume it’s a newer holder, and may have made it into a 4 holder, so that’s my guess.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking luster, I'll go 63+

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks flat, no guess. If pressed I would go 62.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen a lot graded like this as high as MS64, but could have gone 63.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

62, maybe 63.
    Nice coin and a great way to accumulate some gold.

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going to take flyer and say they graded it 66

Doug
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Thoughts on this $20 Saint...

To be honest. My very first thought?.........I wish I had one. Nice coin! 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice. I would call it a 63

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 here. Looks good. 👍

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it has dull points or “envelope friction” on the high points. I’d say MS-62 if it’s as it is in the photo.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

What ever the number, I like it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • mlittlemlittle Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Everyone.... it's in a 64 holder but I thought it was a little baggy for 64. I'll post the TV when I get back to my laptop...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Thanks Everyone.... it's in a 64 holder but I thought it was a little baggy for 64. I'll post the TV when I get back to my laptop...

Is this one you own or one you were considering buying?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@coinbuf said:

@lkenefic said:

Is this one you own or one you were considering buying?

Considering... not my coin.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    This is a 1927 Saint I just won at auction tonight.
    It is a PCGS graded MS-63 with a CAC green sticker. Bought it for $2057 plus 10% buyer fee.

At current gold spot prices, common date double eagles are now trading at bullion prices unless they are very high grade. It's a great way to buy some gold bullion.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2024 5:13AM

@PerryHall said:

@oreville said:
    It is a PCGS graded MS-63 with a CAC green sticker. Bought it for $2057 plus 10% buyer fee.

At current gold spot prices, common date double eagles are now trading at bullion prices unless they are very high grade. It's a great way to buy some gold bullion.

Exactly.The bonus was getting a OGH PCGS slab with a CAC green sticker and what appears to be a pleasant looking Saint for the assigned grade for nearly no premium over the bullion value.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2024 5:01PM

62, just not there for 63.

Would say $2600 sell / $2000 - $2100 Whsl.

Eye appeal slightly below average, If acquired at melt ok for one’s bullion stockpile. How much above melt would you bid on it?

Coins & Currency
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2024 5:07PM

@oreville said:

Is that a couple of spots on obv? Almost looks like needs dip.

Coins & Currency
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

About what I thought: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/48978864

I bought it for the bullion value and got as a bonus an OGH PCGS slab with a CAC sticker. I do not see much spotting on the obverse. I do see bagmarks which is typical on a MS-63 graded Saint.

@oreville ... I like it as a Type piece all day long!

Over the past week I've been looking at 65s... there's not much more of a premium as gold is in some uncharted territory. My thought process is that if gold takes a dive, lower MS pieces would follow more readily than higher graded coins... potentially a softer landing if the bottom drops out... but we are in unprecedented times. Thoughts?

@lkenefic said:
    @oreville ... I like it as a Type piece all day long!

Over the past week I've been looking at 65s... there's not much more of a premium as gold is in some uncharted territory. My thought process is that if gold takes a dive, lower MS pieces would follow more readily than higher graded coins... potentially a softer landing if the bottom drops out... but we are in unprecedented times. Thoughts?

I also have numerous PCGS/CAC MS-65, MS-66 and MS-67 with Motto Saints but like adding more bullion related Saints as I suspect that gold is more like to rise than take a dive. Also adding scarcer $20 Saints as well as scarcer circulated $20 Liberties.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2024 6:32AM

63+. Decent but not great.

EDIT:

@lkenefic said:

Ah, I see. Well, it looks like it has above average luster, so that probably carried it to a 4. Definitely a lower-end 4 imho, though.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭

Historical premiums for MS-65 and MS-62 Saints:

• JJMJJM Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file