johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 no cac

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

64, yes CAC green

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    This is like hitting two moving targets, the assigned grade and the CAC pronouncement.

You give the grade and ask if you think CAC will like it.

I like to keep you on your toes, Bill. Guess the grade and then I'll tell you whether CAC liked it. : )

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 cac

Doug
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the 58 CAC group.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

63, and I'll say CAC approved.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

55CAC or 58 NOCAC.

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

62 no CAC

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

😑

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

64 CAC

• Options

62 no CAC

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you as satisfied with the coin as when you got it long ago ? I hope so. 64 and JA agrees. If not , is it for the market or the upgrade ?

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@MFeld said:

@DisneyFan said:

@BillJones said:
    This is like hitting two moving targets, the assigned grade and the CAC pronouncement.

I like to keep you on your toes, Bill. Guess the grade and then I'll tell you whether CAC liked it. : )

Guessing the grade incorrectly makes the second part (whether CAC stickered it) moot.
    You might as well also ask people to guess how “long ago” the coin was bought.

Yes, that is true, Mark. But, if I told you the grade, it makes it easier for you to guess whether it received a sticker or not. A submitter to CAC doesn't know whether a coin will fail because of the grade or ....

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 CAC

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said “But, if I told you the grade, it makes it easier for you to guess whether it received a sticker or not.”

That must be a big hint! 🤔

So, probably it didn’t CAC?

Maybe because of the AU/MS differential? From the image it’s totally impossible to judge if it is AU or MS, but I’ll guess it graded MS63. I think it’s an attractive coin but the reeding and other marks on Boone’s cheek limit the grade.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@MFeld said:

@DisneyFan said:

@BillJones said:

Guessing the grade incorrectly makes the second part (whether CAC stickered it) moot.
    You might as well also ask people to guess how “long ago” the coin was bought.

Yes, that is true, Mark. But, if I told you the grade, it makes it easier for you to guess whether it received a sticker or not. A submitter to CAC doesn't know whether a coin will fail because of the grade or ....

At least a submitter knows the assigned grade, so has some basis for guessing whether the coin will sticker. And even knowing the grade, a lot of people still have a very hard time predicting correctly.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, I see 63 here easily - that green bean is another matter, hard to tell from a gtg thread.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is CAC saw it as over graded.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say the same thing that led to my guess of 58...I think I see some rub.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to guess they had concerns over the right obverse field.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

maybe a bad rinse after a dip?

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the toning. I will guess rub on obverse high points.
    Nice coin by the way. These can tone up nicely.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rub

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

When CAC was reviewing my coins, most of the negatives were "cleaned, long ago." There were a few PVC's too. :)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:
    Thank you to the brave souls who took the challenge.

For the record this coin was bought in 2009 from one of the top dealers in the country. The dealer's description of the coin was "Very nice example of this scarce commemorative issue. This coin has even golden toning on both sides, with pretty pastel hues on the obverse rims."

It did not pass CAC. Now guess why.

I will share the answer. I asked CAC and they were kind enough to explain why it did not pass.

P.S. This post is not intended to bash anyone. It is intended to be educational.

I think CAC saw a light rub, which is common for the coin. It’s hard to one that is accurately graded.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marks on the rim- reverse 5:00 to 7:00?

peacockcoins

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the one in my collection. Unfortunately that dark spot is from improper dipping, and it it has gotten worse. Otherwise, the coin was an MS-64, as graded.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Here's the one in my collection. Unfortunately that dark spot is from improper dipping, and it it has gotten worse. Otherwise, the coin was an MS-64, as graded.

Thank you for posting that, Bill.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with "Not MS64" as the reason for the fail.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one seems to happen a lot
    "old cleaning"

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

It did not pass CAC. Now guess why.

Old cleaning/dip and retoned?

• Options

PVC. Otherwise, solid for the grade - MS64.

Appreciated reading the observations from:

@Higashiyama said:
    I think it’s an attractive coin but the reeding and other marks on Boone’s cheek limit the grade.

@BryceM said:
    When CAC was reviewing my coins, most of the negatives were "cleaned, long ago." There were a few PVC's too. : )

@BillJones said:
    Here's the one in my collection. Unfortunately that dark spot is from improper dipping, and it it has gotten worse.

@BillJones also said:
    It’s hard to [find] one that is accurately graded.

@1madman said:
    Old cleaning/dip and retoned?

Thank you again everyone for participating.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file