Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the most unusual US coin you ever received in change?

rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll start - a 1891 seated dime.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
Copperindian

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2024 1:29PM

Honest to bob, I've never received anything in change that was not current design (could be different metal, but not different design).

I have bought rolls from the bank and received both Frankies and Walkers, but nothing in actual change.

I'm pretty jealous of some of the stories I read here!

My only possible saving grace was once I bought a used Library of Coins type set album that had a nice half dime that had migrated into the binding. I noticed the lump and freed a nice 1857 half dime. But still nothing in change :(

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than foreign coins... not much. I've gotten the odd Mercury Dime and silver. I did get a beat-to-hell-and-back Indian head cent at some point... 1900s date... but I've seeded more of those than I've actually gotten.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

In the mid-90s I received a worn Civil War token in change.

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing exciting. I got a clad Proof quarter that was nice enough to collect although it wasn’t worth much more than a quarter.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lincoln cent clip. Numerous oddball foreigns in bank roll searching.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭

Closest story I have is when the new Susan B Anthony dollars came out a girl in the drive through gave me 3 of them as quarters. Had no idea what I was looking at back then, had to look it up in Coin Worlds.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a 1912-P Barber dime in a cash register at my store. Also, an ASE in a plastic flip.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

half cents, large cents, 2 centers, and even a worn out bust dime.

edited to add: I also received examples of all of these (along with other obsolete series) from circulation as a teen. I believe it was a case of older collectors "priming the pump" so to speak in an attempt to help along new collectors.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the early 1960's, I received a 1959 Proof Nickel in change.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall when larger coin shows- like the Long Beach show- would drop key date cents- such as the 1099-S VDB- into locally.
    The press would sometimes cover this story and it was a good-will effort on the show promoters.
    I doubt any of these shows do that anymore. (I hope I am wrong.)
    It would have been fun to receive one of these coins in change.

peacockcoins

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing too terribly crazy. When I was a kid, buffalo nickels and IHC's now and then. Pre-1964 Washingtons and Roosies as recently as 2015-ish. A handful of war nickels and steel wheaties. Circulated proof state quarters a time or three. I've had lots of 40% & 90% Kennedies in rolls from the bank and a few times some pretty good runs of Franklins and WLH's, but those weren't given as change in the course of commerce.

mirabela
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

1970-S cent DDO-1 in AU-50.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received a 1965 silver dime in 2007, spent it in 2008, realized what I had in 2016, found this place 2018.

I’ll never see the money I threw away that day but in the long run I learned how to make it back.

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the early 1990's i got a 1945 mercury dime in AU in my change at K-Mart.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    I received a 1965 silver dime in 2007, spent it in 2008, realized what I had in 2016, found this place 2018.

I’ll never see the money I threw away that day but in the long run I learned how to make it back.

Now @Coinscratch was that silver really a ’65?

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@humanssuck said:
    In the early 1990's i got a 1945 mercury dime in AU in my change at K-Mart.

Another Mandela effect:
    There never was a hyphen between the 'K' and the 'mart'.

:o

peacockcoins

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@Coinscratch said:

Absolutely yes, though I had never collected a coin in my life by this time I had seen plenty of silver and knew what I was looking at I just didn’t know what I was looking at.
    I was puzzled for a little while and just threw it in a jar with some other silver dimes that happened here and there.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, those are interesting! I’ve only gotten a Buffalo nickel, wheaties, and a few silver dimes and quarters.

Doug
  • Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2024 7:14PM

@Crypto said:
    I got a 3c nickel in place of a nickel around 10 years ago. It wasn’t in the best shape but I knew what it was Immediately

>
    Hey @Crypto , did you ask for your other 2c, brother?😉😂

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

A clad dime planchet & a fake five dollar bill.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

IHC's, Wheat cents, a few Mercury dimes, silver Roosies, war nickels. I did find two 1950 D Jefferson nickels about a month apart back in the early 70's. Only two I ever found in circulation.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

My brother got a Shield Nickel in change at a gas station in the mid-70s.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2024 8:19PM

Lots of Canadian and occasionally Mexican coins, I live in Arizona. A counterfeit $10 note. A very circulated broadstruck state quarter would be the most unusual.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2024 8:53PM

1870s IHC in the 1980s.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1912 cent, almost 100 years old at the time.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 5 years ago, I received an 1899 Liberty nickel in Good at Golden Coral in change.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me date myself!! In grade school, I received a dateless buffalo nickel in change from the candy machine.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Coinscratch said:

Absolutely yes, though I had never collected a coin in my life by this time I had seen plenty of silver and knew what I was looking at I just didn’t know what I was looking at.
    I was puzzled for a little while and just threw it in a jar with some other silver dimes that happened here and there.

Wow, what a let down.

• Options

For all of my finds in CRH, two common wheats are all that I've found in my immediate family's change. However, I found a 1964-D quarter, 1964-D dime, and a 2019-W quarter in my grandpa's change(these were firsts for me at the time), a 1962-D dime in my uncle's change, and in my mom's friend's change, I found a 1919-D wheatie, 2 steelies, and an aluminum coin from Columbia.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

This subject makes me want to :'(:'(

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    This subject makes me want to :'(:'(

Why?

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took in an 1865 three cent nickel back in the ‘70s working as a toll collector. Guess they thought it was a dime..

• Options

@ambro51 said:
    I took in an 1865 three cent nickel back in the ‘70s working as a toll collector. Guess they thought it was a dime..

You just reminded me I had to pay a buck to the toll collector to cross the San Luis pass bridge back in the day.
    Unless the wind was from the west when the fishing was the best.

• Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 128 ✭✭✭✭

I got a slightly circulated pre-82 blank planchet 1c from the post office while mailing a coin. I looked at the employee and showed her what she gave me....she said "oops, Im sorry, I can give you a different one". I declined and said thank you. Not worth much, but a cool find to get back in change! A few weeks later, I got a very slight indent on a quarter from the same post office.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

A handful of modern foreign coins, a few silver dimes, enough Jeffersons to fill three albums (with lots left over) but just one 50-D, a high and low leaf quarter, several W quarters, and one minor clipped quarter. Nothing to write home about.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in 1996 my wife received an 1857 Flying Eagle cent in change at the local JCPenny store.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1991 dime. It's only "unusual" because I live in Australia, where we don't see too many US coins in change. ;)

I believe it was given to me as a 5 cent coin (worth about 4 US cents at the time). So, winner! :D

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2024 10:56PM

A fake 1898 $. Much lighter than the real McCoy. Looks VF. About a $50 MV coin if we’re real. Faker-roo.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭

@redraider said:
    I got a slightly circulated pre-82 blank planchet 1c from the post office while mailing a coin. I looked at the employee and showed her what she gave me....she said "oops, Im sorry, I can give you a different one". I declined and said thank you. Not worth much, but a cool find to get back in change! A few weeks later, I got a very slight indent on a quarter from the same post office.

My old man got a one-sided 76 (I think) Lincoln years ago. I believe he still has it. Monetarily, probably not worth much but, as you said, cool to find in change.

imageimage

• Options

@GaCoinGuy said:

@redraider said:

My old man got a one-sided 76 (I think) Lincoln years ago. I believe he still has it. Monetarily, probably not worth much but, as you said, cool to find in change.

One sided? How does that happen?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2024 10:41AM

Double post, apologies

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a 1 cent piece from the Netherlands dated 1878 at a gas station ⛽️, go figure

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

My most memorable coin from circulation was a 1909 Lincoln cent in AU with some red remaining. This was back in the 1960's. Most memorable but not U.S. was a Bermuda "Pig Cent" received in change at the local grocery store.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@GaCoinGuy said:

@redraider said:

One sided? How does that happen?

If two planchets are fed into the coining chamber at the same time, only one side of each planchet will receive an impression from one of the dies.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a Swiss franc that was passed as a quarter. The franc was worth about a buck, if memory serves.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heavily worn, buffalo nickel.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

1969-D No FG Lincoln Cent,
    Probably wouldn't grade that way, but it had the floating roof and the FG was gone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file