Options

2004-D High/Low Leaf Wisconsin Quarters

2»

Comments

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 8:14PM

Here’s how it happened:
    The honey bun and Pepsi that Simon ate in his 1992 Honda Accord on the way to his work as head die machinist at the mint on West Colfax Street protested and churned slowly into a rumble that casually met the rhythm of the presses thumping nearby as he tapped out the bolthole of the bolt for the cuff that retained the reverse die that the hilljack broke off when all that worker had to do was remember the direction of clockhands. Simon’s aggravation turned to consternation when he felt that he would lose a great battle if he delayed a trip to the break room john.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2024 8:09PM

@Fraz said:
    Bolts don’t lie around. They vibrate loose. Jacklegs strip threads. Machinists tap new threads.

The mint production floor is "apparently" like an industrial construction site. (I say apparently because I'm not 100% sure) Apparently there is crap everywhere; rags, tools, spare parts, oil, scrap, grease, nuts, bolts, washers, "nails", forklifts, dust, work gloves, dirt, etc..

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@davewesen said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Fraz said:
    Does any mint employee possess the skills to do tiny work like that?
    Is that something that one could pull off on the sly?
    Could one do it quickly?
    A master engraver compromises himself? (Doesn’t one have to be a master to cut fed metal?
    He does it twice? Or, they do it twice?

I would say absolutely yes to all of the above! However, not just any mint employee, a skilled engraver with the right tools.

Dcarr has shown that all that is need is a punch and a hammer - no need for skilled engraver

Hmmmm, I don't know. Maybe in the hands of Dan. I believe he's a trained artist and multi skilled engineer.

A bolt is required, but not a hammer.
    Before the die was hardened, it could have been accidentally dropped onto the end of a bolt.

• Options

The bolt that I used to make this mark is from the Denver Mint. It came in the crate of spare parts with my Gaebener coin press (circa 1986-2001 Denver Mint service).

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Rick Snow opined long ago that a Mint employee with a grudge or a sense of humor tampered with the die using a bolt or some other tool. What @dcarr stated makes a lot of sense, as did Mr. Snow's hypothesis. They are essentially the same thing, with one unanswerable question: did this happen intentionally or by accident?
    Anyone have the link to @EagleEye 's thread?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

The mint production floor is "apparently" like an industrial construction site. (I say apparently because I'm not 100% sure) Apparently there is crap everywhere; rags, tools, spare parts, oil, scrap, grease, nuts, bolts, washers, "nails", forklifts, dust, work gloves, dirt, etc..

What's visible on the tours of both mints is quite tidy and organized. It is a little cleaner than one would expect as well. I've been in a lot of factories of different types and these mints are among the best. Probably some of the areas not visible from the tours and more active with personnel are at least somewhat less clean and tidy.

Obviously it is impossible to keep a factory clean all of the time. Many don't even try and just getting to the job site is a sort of expedition.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@dcarr said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@davewesen said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Fraz said:
    Could one do it quickly?
    A master engraver compromises himself? (Doesn’t one have to be a master to cut fed metal?

I would say absolutely yes to all of the above! However, not just any mint employee, a skilled engraver with the right tools.

Dcarr has shown that all that is need is a punch and a hammer - no need for skilled engraver

Hmmmm, I don't know. Maybe in the hands of Dan. I believe he's a trained artist and multi skilled engineer.

Before the die was hardened, it could have been accidentally dropped onto the end of a bolt.

I enjoy generating thought, opinions and conversation. I'm in no position to ever challenge your skill, knowledge, opinions or experience.

This one sentence:

"Before the die was hardened, it could have been accidentally dropped onto the end of a bolt."

Might summarize and cut to the fundamental realities of this entire thread.

I could never "EVER" imagine being the mint employee that actually handles the dies and accidentally (or otherwise) dropping one!! Can you imagine what your coworkers or management would say or think about you?......Bob dropped another die today!! In my world, that guy would have his credentials pulled and transferred to the loading dock! 😉

I guess it happens. I don't know, maybe there are so many dies it doesn't really matter.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@cladking said:

@OAKSTAR said:

What's visible on the tours of both mints is quite tidy and organized. It is a little cleaner than one would expect as well. I've been in a lot of factories of different types and these mints are among the best. Probably some of the areas not visible from the tours and more active with personnel are at least somewhat less clean and tidy.

Obviously it is impossible to keep a factory clean all of the time. Many don't even try and just getting to the job site is a sort of expedition.

That's what I was thinking. What's visible to the public and what's not.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@dcarr said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@davewesen said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Fraz said:
    Could one do it quickly?

I enjoy generating thought, opinions and conversation. I'm in no position to ever challenge your skill, knowledge, opinions or experience.

This one sentence:

"Before the die was hardened, it could have been accidentally dropped onto the end of a bolt."

Might summarize and cut to the fundamental realities of this entire thread.

I could never "EVER" imagine being the mint employee that actually handles the dies and accidentally (or otherwise) dropping one!! Can you imagine what your coworkers or management would say or think about you?......Bob dropped another die today!! In my world, that guy would have his credentials pulled and transferred to the loading dock! 😉

I guess it happens. I don't know, maybe there are so many dies it doesn't really matter.

I have dropped a few dies that I spent considerable time fabricating (usually onto the rug that is there for a reason, but not always !).

• Options

@DCW said:
    I believe Rick Snow opined long ago that a Mint employee with a grudge or a sense of humor tampered with the die using a bolt or some other tool. What @dcarr stated makes a lot of sense, as did Mr. Snow's hypothesis. They are essentially the same thing, with one unanswerable question: did this happen intentionally or by accident?
    Anyone have the link to @EagleEye 's thread?

I don't think Snow's article mentions a bolt as the tool.
    Only after using a bolt as a tool did I realize that the resulting pattern looked like the Wisconsin Extra Leafs.

• Options
    edited March 4, 2024 1:17AM

So we have a situation where three different dies, all from the same year and mint, have these stray arc-shaped defects.

If only the two Wisconsin Quarter dies existed and none others, I might be a little less sure that it was accidental. But the existence of the dime makes me even more certain that it was all accidental.

If it were intentional, what would be the reason for doing the dime ? If a Mint employee were to attempt something like this and risk their job in doing so, why make a dime like this when something of MUCH greater potential value could be done instead ? In other words, the risk-reward calculation does not make any sense for the dime to be intentional.

And if the dime was accidental, then the quarters would certainly be accidental as well. This would point to a temporary but systemic die handling issue.

• Options

@dcarr said:
    So we have a situation where three different dies, all from the same year and mint, have these stray arc-shaped defects.

If only the two Wisconsin Quarter dies existed and none others, I might be a little less sure that it was accidental. But the existence of the dime makes me even more certain that it was all accidental.

If it were intentional, what would be the reason for doing the dime ? If a Mint employee were to attempt something like this and risk their job in doing so, why make a dime like this when something of MUCH greater potential value could be done instead ? In other words, the risk-reward calculation does not make any sense for the dime to be intentional.

And if the dime was accidental, then the quarters would certainly be accidental as well. this would point to a temporary but systemic die handling issue.

I probably should but I don't have a clue about mint operations, production, employee standards or qualifications. I'm just an outsider trying to look in. I imagine they had to pass some type of background check. Do they have a security clearances?.. What level?

If you have a "critical skill" (electrical engineer, mechanic, machine tool guy, engraver, software engineer, etc..) the mint needs to stay in operations, they (the gov't) would or could wave your criminal background and give you a security clearance for employment.

Doing something like this to risk a career at the mint, would "NEVER" have crossed my mind! But again, I guess it happens.

Thanks for the ongoing feedback.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Below is a composite image made from overlaying the 2004-D High-leaf quarter, Telekenetic Cow quarter, and "doubled ear" dime photos. The dime photo has been resized to the same diameter as the quarter photos in order to directly compare the relative position of the die damage for all three. Note how close the die damage is on all of them! All tightly clustered just to the right of center. Not only does there appear to be a systemic die handling issue, as @dcarr pointed out, but it appears to be disproportionately affecting one particular region of the dies. Food for thought!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, this is like a Charlie Chan murder mystery. "The Clash of Wahn Hong Loh". Some very interesting perspectives. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

The March / April 2014 issue.

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 293 ✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    Love this thread...it's one of my CRHunting goals.
    Always hoping to find one in the wild...

This. I've searched through so many quarter boxes and never found one.

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@HIGHLOWLEAVES said:
    We have a very interesting discussion as to the origin of the Wi. Extra Leaf Quarters in progress !! If you study the Inspector Generals report that was released in 2006, you will read that the High Leaf Defective coin/die was discovered minting the defective quarters and then and a mint employee stopped the press and placed an example on top of the press. Then, on that Thanksgiving weekend in 2004, he left the minting area and went to lunch. When he returned to his position in the minting area, he discovered that some one or more employees had continued to stamp out the Extra High Leaf Quarters. Was all of this a normal practice or planned ahead of time ? Food for thought......

Really? That's interesting. That was in an Inspector Generals report? I'd like to read that. Do you have a link to that report?

@HIGHLOWLEAVES - Have you found that Inspector Generals report yet?

• Options
    taxbuster1040taxbuster1040 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

I have bought a few of these some years ago. I am suprised that there was not much price appreciation, like the 72 dbl die penny or 55 dbl die. Does anybody have any opinions if these might achieve some price appreciation before I go on my way to heaven?

• Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

The movie “Coin Heist” mentions the Wisconsin Extra High/Low Leaf Quarters. Being a numismatist, the movie was entertaining. There is a book by the same title that the movie was based on. It’s fun when certain coins make it to Hollywood !! M. Smith.

Specialized Investments
  • Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@HIGHLOWLEAVES said:
    We have a very interesting discussion as to the origin of the Wi. Extra Leaf Quarters in progress !! If you study the Inspector Generals report that was released in 2006, you will read that the High Leaf Defective coin/die was discovered minting the defective quarters and then and a mint employee stopped the press and placed an example on top of the press. Then, on that Thanksgiving weekend in 2004, he left the minting area and went to lunch. When he returned to his position in the minting area, he discovered that some one or more employees had continued to stamp out the Extra High Leaf Quarters. Was all of this a normal practice or planned ahead of time ? Food for thought......

Really? That's interesting. That was in an Inspector Generals report? I'd like to read that. Do you have a link to that report?

@HIGHLOWLEAVES - Have you found that Inspector Generals report yet?

I guess not.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@taxbuster1040 said:
    I have bought a few of these some years ago. I am suprised that there was not much price appreciation, like the 72 dbl die penny or 55 dbl die. Does anybody have any opinions if these might achieve some price appreciation before I go on my way to heaven?

For varieties, the series has to become wide spread collectible for people to then diversify. Problem with state quarters is most collectors are entry level numismatists few who will advance to the next level. The ones who do will most often pick more challenging sets. That leaves just variety collectors and spontaneous purchases. That’s the level they currently trade relative to their supply . I don’t see that changing unless set collectors start compounding.

Dealers can influence demand with the classic “well managed promotion”. Say a National dealer started selling fixed priced gem sets and included them as part. Just the dozens of pairs required to fulfill those orders would cause a spike.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think maybe if collecting varieties becomes more and more popular they may develop scarcity. But that is not going to happen soon.

I think the the values have plateaued now for close to a decade. I haven't noticed any huge auction result anomalies either way. Yes I bought some graded about ten years ago when they dropped in price on spec, sort of regret.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2024 8:27PM

I bought a coin roll off of Ebay that had an end roll Extraleaf in the day when they first came out. I paid like $500 for the roll. It had 7 in it, both varieties. In case people don't remember these all came out of Phoenix.

• Options

The entire lots (Two) that the Denver Mint released in late 2004 and early 2005 all showed up in Phoenix, AZ as long as Tucson and and San Antonio, TX are suburbs of Phoenix. Let's have alittle humor to the subject !!

Specialized Investments
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The following quote from a seller is a reasonable explanation IMO.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    The following quote from a seller is a reasonable explanation IMO.

Along with the numerous other suggestions they were intentional is the fact that they were produced and released together.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 7:47AM

Is it reasonable to assume that someone intentionally engraved an "extra leaf" over Roosevelt's ear on the dime of the same date, or intentionally created the telekenetic cow? I think not. ;)

Unintentional damage is the better explanation, as noted previously.

• Options

An astute variety coin collector would probably check the 2004 D Pennies and Nickels for additional Unintentional design damage. You never know !!

Specialized Investments
  • Options

Any recent finds of Wi. Extra Leaf Quarters in your change ? I live in the San Antonio, Tx area and I haven't found a High or Low Quarter probably in 18 years. It has been a long, dry spell. Hopeful others are more fortunate in finding them.

Specialized Investments
  • Options

@HIGHLOWLEAVES said:
    Any recent finds of Wi. Extra Leaf Quarters in your change ? I live in the San Antonio, Tx area and I haven't found a High or Low Quarter probably in 18 years. It has been a long, dry spell. Hopeful others are more fortunate in finding them.

Check your PM.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@HIGHLOWLEAVES said:

Check your PM.

No, you're not getting the AG report, Oak! :D
    Even if you say "pretty please!"

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@DCW said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@HIGHLOWLEAVES said:

Check your PM.

No, you're not getting the AG report, Oak! :D
    Even if you say "pretty please!"

I don't want the AG report, I want the IG report. But I think you're right, it's not going to happen. :D

• Options

Interesting article in the April, 2024 ANA “Numismatist” Magazine , Pages 24&25 that talks about the Wi. Extra Leaf Quarters and Double Ear FS-101 Roosevelt Dime. It would be great if a board member could “cut and paste” this informative article. Enjoy the read.

Specialized Investments
  • Options

@HIGHLOWLEAVES

It would also be great if you could link the IG report to this thread. That request has been made several times.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

The actual IG Report that was released in early 2006 was a very lengthy report. The U S Treasury official suggested that he send me a “Summary” of the findings which he did. Then Coin World received the same summary. I have the summary but am not familiar with posting the several pages for everyone to read. I am not being selfish, just up in many years well behind the computer age. Thanks.

Specialized Investments
  • Options

@HIGHLOWLEAVES
    You can drop a PDF file by selecting it like this:

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file