Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you could trade your whole collection for ...

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

a single coin of equal value, what would it be?

Doug

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexico 1732 milled 8 reales but I will not do that I prefer my growing collection.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF 1794 dollar

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not. I like some variety.

• Options

I have few different sets. One set would require that I sell a complete set for a single coin in another set. It’s a hard question!

Doug
  • Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2024 8:46AM

@Downtown1974 said:
    The highest grade HR Saint I could get.

Bingo.....in my case it would probably be an MS-66 CAC MCMVII HR. I don't think liquidating everything would let me grab an MS-67. :/

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DMWJR said:
    I have few different sets. One set would require that I sell a complete set for a single coin in another set. It’s a hard question!

What if your current collection in total is worth significantly more than the value of any coin you would care to get? Its not a hard question at all, I wouldn't do it, because I have no interest in any of the coins that would qualify value wise.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

For 1 coin???
    Not a chance............. :)

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

proof saint

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be fun if it was possible to constantly expand my Type Sets to own one of each common date coin ever minted in USA and then contract my collection down to one ultra rare mega key date pop top and then do it repeatedly again and again going after the different ultra rare coins one at a time without losing money. Constant thrill of the chase.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭

A fun theoretical -- not sure my overall collection is worth enough to get one trophy coin. But lots of interesting possibilities. Maybe a 1795 small eagle $5 in some kind of choice condition. At least the collection would be easy to store!

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the point of view of a collector, doing this is a bad idea because... boring. And many of us have absolutely no idea what the value of our "whole collection" is, anyway.

From the point of view of an investor, doing this is a bad idea because it's putting all your eggs in one basket. Diversity is safer than monoculture, and for investment coins, "diversity" means lots of high quality but cheaper coins, of all different kinds to minimize the risk of collapse in value of one specific rarity or series.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    I would not. I like some variety.

Agree. What's that old saying about putting all your eggs in one basket? :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it boiled down to one coin it wouldn't be much of a hobby as far as I am concerned.
    With that said I feel as though my collection expands far and wide because of this forum.
    Not only do I enjoy my coins but I enjoy others coins as well.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were I to do it, a very nice half disme. Would certainly free up some space.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭

@jughead1893 said:
    proof saint

Any particular year ?

Do you like Proof Saints in particular or would a high-grade Saint and/or High Relief also fill the bill ?

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several years ago, I was looking at Chuck Links 1823/2 quarter in pcgs 58gold cac, I was thinking, I would sell everything I own to have that coin. Also , last year, northern nevada had a super nice 58+ 93-s $ in case, I seriously considered liquidating a bunch of stuff to cover buy that, but decided not too

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

IF... I could get a very good price for my collection, and IF I could likewise find a spectacular piece at a great price, I'd get a mid-grade small eagle half and build an early half dollar box of twenty around it.
    🤗

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd likely never sell everything to buy just one coin. I feel like quantity has a quality of it's own. That said and to play along with the OP... probably a nice 1793 Chain Cent in F12 or better.

Oh... was this how much money I have into my sets or how much a dealer would pay me? I might have to lower my expectations... ;)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

A uncirculated 1922 High Relief Peace Silver Dollar

• Options

Yes I agree that I wouldn’t do this either, but I’ve started a set where a couple of the key coins cost as much as one of my sets (not all). It gives me pause for thought. I’ve refocused my collection a few times, selling of a set to fund a new set, but never for a single coin.

Doug
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've nearly done this, selling my first collection of "stuff" for one "big" coin around which I've spent the last 10+ years building up to my current collection.

I'd struggle to call myself a true collector if I only owned one coin. The minimum number in my eyes is probably at least five but it certainly doesn't need to be dozens.

I often think: if I were to find $10 billion lying on the ground tomorrow, would I end up with more coins or fewer, better coins?

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

I could get a very nice 1861-D gold dollar in a pcgs slab.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking numismatically :D
    6 numbers on the next megga lottery would clean up my collection.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not do it right now while I am still trying to complete the Basic U.S. Type set and 7070 Dansco U.S. Type set, but when I complete those and get as far as I can on the complete U.S. Type set, then I may sell everything for an AU 1793 Chain Cent.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody for a gold $50 Panama-Pacific?

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2024 11:38AM

1933 Saint.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

Where is the guy (forgot his name) that did just that I believe last year

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@DisneyFan said:

Where is the guy (forgot his name) that did just that I believe last year

He’s bored silly and doesn’t post here anymore 😉

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jkrk said:
    1933 Saint.

Just a reminder that the question was:

You’ve never given any indication that your collection was that valuable.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

I don’t think there is a single coin out there that would work for me under this premise. Whittled down to a few, half dozen,…perhaps. A single coin? It would be more gratifying to me to simply cash out everything.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

It would have to be near the absolute end of me sucking air, but it would really be something to own a Gobrecht dollar. I think I could just swing a lower grade dinged up one if I went ALL in. James

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@jughead1893 said:
    proof saint

Any particular year ?

Do you like Proof Saints in particular or would a high-grade Saint and/or High Relief also fill the bill ?

I'm not picky on the date but it has to be a proof.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marmac said:
    I don’t think there is a single coin out there that would work for me under this premise. Whittled down to a few, half dozen,…perhaps. A single coin? It would be more gratifying to me to simply cash out everything.

If I cashed out everything - I could see having just one special high value coin.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2024 11:38AM

1933 Saint.> @MFeld said:

@jkrk said:
    1933 Saint.

Just a reminder that the question was:

You’ve never given any indication that your collection was that valuable.😉

Reading isn't my strength. I truly have to spend more time reading a post before i answer.

WTS, technically, I don't have a "collection. Just a mishmash of coins coupled with eyes wider than my cash available.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

1792 half disme.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have way too much time and energy putting my collection my together to put entire collection up for sale or trade for a single coin.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I am in the middle of building a set I would not actually do it. But, since I have moved into ancient coins it would be this Romulus Augustus solidus.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    It would have to be for a stupid obviously more valuable coin than all of my collection has to make up for the difficulty in obtaining them in the first place. Think Mint State Silver Center Cent, maybe a special Fat Head $5. IDK

@divecchia said:
    I may sell everything for an AU 1793 Chain Cent.

That said, I have this already, which if I had to chose one to keep it would be:

A Fat Head $5 crossed my mind as well.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file