Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you could trade your whole collection for ...

2»

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others have said, one coin would be hard to enjoy versus the variety I currently have. But if I had to choose a high-grade Chain Cent would be a possibility.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

No can do. Too much sentiment attached to many coins in my collection. Could not give all of them up.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I'd be interested in doing that -- to the point that I really have no idea what sorts of coins that would even put me in the market for. I can reach for price guidance as easily as anybody, but the kinds of things that actually are part of my long-term intentions, I at least know offhand what they are and roughly what they're worth and what states of preservation are in or out of reach for me as the case may be. The value of the whole collection is a significant multiple of my most expensive coin, meaning I'd be shopping in a zone of the market where I have no experience or confidence at all.

mirabela
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not convert into one coin. I could see a conversion into a box of 20 and then likely stop becoming an active collector. Have no interest in doing so at this time!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2024 12:59PM

Hmmm....

IF I were to do something ever this drastic here are a couple of ones that I would consider. FSAG

In no specific order...
    (All Morgans)
    1) 1889-CC MS64
    2) 1893-S AU58
    3) 1895 Proof 65DCAM

Would also be nice to have an extra something stuck to the front of the slab :p

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭

To age 50 vs 75, 76 tomorrow.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LeeBone said:
    Hmmm....

IF I were to do something ever this drastic here are a couple of ones that I would consider. FSAG

In no specific order...
    (All Morgans)
    1) 1889-CC MS64
    2) 1893-S AU58
    3) 1895 Proof 65DCAM

Would also be nice to have an extra something stuck to the front of the slab :p

CMQ sticker?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    It would have to be for a stupid obviously more valuable coin than all of my collection has to make up for the difficulty in obtaining them in the first place. Think Mint State Silver Center Cent, maybe a special Fat Head $5. IDK

@divecchia said:
    I may sell everything for an AU 1793 Chain Cent.

That said, I have this already, which if I had to chose one to keep it would be:

Lucky you. I saw one in the inventory of a major dealer, when the market was down, that was as pleasing as that Chain Cent. Naturally I don’t have the money. Now I have some money, but nothing is available. It’s okay. I’ll wait. My interests are very wide these days. I still have coin in my avatar.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

If forced to do it, a mint-state small eagle half dollar. But, I’d never do it for many reasons, all of which have been stated by others.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had toyed with the idea of an original Confederate Cent or a 1943 Copper Cent, but didn’t act. Over the last 20 years I’ve sold off a great deal, keeping only a few dozen coins.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like having a varied collection to look at, and improve upon.

The only way that I would trade my entire collection for one coin would be if that one coin were worth considerably more than the aggregate value of my present collection. Then I would sell the one coin, and rebuild my collection, only better than it had been.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file