Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another Booker T. Washington GTG'er

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajaan recent thread sparked my interest to ask.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG08

Higashiyama
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never been able to accurately grade such a toned coin. All I can say, is I see quite a few scratches where the toning is absent, so I can only imagine underneath. Can't imagine asking a gtg on a low grade common commem, so I would assume it garnered a higher grade than 08.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

G6

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2024 3:58PM

MS60- 62

peacockcoins

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options

With guesses between G06 and MS62 we may have broken the record for the widest GTG range.

Higashiyama
  • Options

@Higashiyama - You ain't seen nothing yet!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details grade for excessive marks on the obverse. Exceptionally ugly toning as well. My buy price would be 85% of melt value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental damage

• Options

Like I said: You guys ain't seen nothing yet! 🤣 😉

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF 20

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

@ajaan said:
    MS65

Would you like to elaborate on that grade?

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

For those guessing anything less than UNC and/or details, have you seen these BTW Commems with toning like this? My 1946 PDS look similar to this in my Dansco Type album.

I'm at MS65, I think the chatter on the cheek keeps it from going higher. I also would not be surprised at a higher or lower UNC grade, however, AU would surprise me.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

vg 8, no cac

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@ajaan said:
    MS65

Would you like to elaborate on that grade?

It's a guess.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I see some luster, so 63 for me. Either way it’s quite the coin. ;)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

Man, it's all over the map here.

I'll reveal it tonight. I'm going to need a major reality check on this one!!

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last time I checked the grading guide, VG-8 has no luster.

MS-64, a little chattery but generally smooth.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

If that coin is mint state, it is a very strange photo. The coin looks worn, and perhaps damaged a bit along the way.

Here's a comparison to a heavily toned MS65:

The photo of the OP coin sure seems to be heavily worn in places such as the hair, eyes, ear, lips and collar.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2024 3:04PM

PS: though I agree with @jacrispies observation on the luster; the reverse lettering seems sharp and lustrous.

(though even on the reverse, the photo seems to suggest significant wear on both the log cabin and the hall of fame)

Higashiyama
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

G-VG No way that's a near mint state coin. IMHO

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Higashiyama I think it is a combination of toning style and photography style that erases all detail. No shadows created and no toning in the fine details that both give depth to the design.

I am excited to see what it is graded. Although I am confident in my skill of grading by poor photos, it would be fun to get this totally wrong.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

Here's a comparison with a random PCGS 66 I pulled off eBay.

• Options

@OAKSTAR Keep in mind a MS-66 for this very common issue would need a razor sharp strike. The original example appears to be weakly struck for the issue.

• Options

Here's the reality check I need. (refer to my disclaimer)

It's not my coin. I pulled it off eBay. It didn't look legit to me. I was questioning the coins grade and slab. I pulled the cert. number and it does correspond to a Booker T. Washington. I should have kept the link because now I can't find it on eBay!!

Your thoughts?

• Options

Yep, hunch was correct. Terrible lighting and the lack of toning to accentuate the small details. The only thing you can see are the small dings on the portrait (likely partially ignored by PCGS because that is unstruck metal).

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

That's wild, I would not like the look of that in my collection.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a simular looking BTW:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/266417192318

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    Here is a simular looking BTW:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/266417192318

It sure is.

But I still don't get it! Those comparison side-by-side pictures above, not even close in my opinion.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

My offer would still be 85% of melt.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Based on the photos, the @braddick coin looks much nicer — and very believable as MS. I actually like that one quite a lot, especially the remarkable toning, especially of BTW’s irises.

Higashiyama
  • Options

You ripped off my GTG thread!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13675174#Comment_13675174

Kidding of course. I just thought it's funny to see we both posted a GTG from incredibly questionable slabs. My uneducated guess on the grade is VF20.

• Options

I think the BTW in the OP has to be seen in person to determine the grade. I bet it's a lot nicer in person than the image indicates.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file