Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG: 1896 Morgan Dollar

KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 58 ✭✭
edited February 21, 2024 10:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

GTG on this Morgan that a family member owns. I'll reveal the grade after a few replies to this post.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll start things off with a 63.
    Based on my recent track record, I won’t be surprised by anything between VF Details and MS68+.

• Options

@ShaunBC5 said:
    I’ll start things off with a 63.
    Based on my recent track record, I won’t be surprised by anything between VF Details and MS68+.

Same here. I wouldn't trust my grading skills over a third graders. Especially when looking at pictures.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU details

• Options

@HoledandCreative said:
    AU details

Exactly what I was thinking. Stay tuned for the reveal.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be no higher than AU55, might be details but photos are usually hard to tell.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU cleaned

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Album filler. About uncirculated. See photos for details. Original mint luster remains in periphery. Appears to be improperly cleaned. This just means (to my view) the dip exposed too many distracting marks in the focal areas. Thus , reducing it to non gradeable.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to say without seeing the reverse.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU, harshly cleaned.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU 53

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options

Alright guys thanks for engaging on my first post. Here's the reveal.

1896-O, I haven't seen it in person but I highly doubt it's uncirculated. I had to do a decent bit of searching to find any proof that NCGS even exists. Shame on them for their shady practices. This is my grandfather's coin. HA shows that MS64s go for over $30,000. I sure hope he didn't pay near that much.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU 55 details (polished).

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like one of those dart throwing grading companies. All the grades are on the wall which ever grade the dart hits, that's the grade assigned.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

@relicsncoins said:
    Looks like one of those dart throwing grading companies. All the grades are on the wall which ever grade the dart hits, that's the grade assigned.

From the small amount if info I've read about NCGS, their coins were largely sold through rip off TV sale shows. I also read a post I believe from cointalk forum that mentioned they were sued in a lawsuit for allegedly trying to imitate PCGS. Seems like the company is thankfully gone or incredibly obscure. I'm an atrocious grader, but the coin appears to be AU and likely cleaned to me.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2024 9:09AM

AU. - I don’t care what that holder says lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

Really hard to tell anything in that lighting.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@relicsncoins said:

Dart throwing would result in some conservative grades, not just inflated ones. I don’t recall having seen the former for coins in that company’s holders.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file