Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Straight graded PCGS 64

gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could this coin not be in a details holder for the scratch going across the reverse from one side to the other?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Comments

• Options
    ToreyTorey Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Is this currently on auction at GC? Looks like it needs to be pulled if it is.

• Options

@TomB no its a scratch for sure. These coins on the gtg are throwing me for a loop.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@Torey said:

I dont know if its at auction.

• Options

@Torey said:

I dont know if its at auction.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch! That one hurts! And not just one scratch!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely looks like a staple scratch. This coin should have received a details grade.
    @ianrussell Do you ever pull auction lots when the coin has damage that is not noted on the slab label?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the photo It looks like a scratch to me.

• Options

@MFeld sorry I didn't notice the wink emoji.

• Options

@Jimnight said:

Two

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@Jimnight there's more than one scratch, but the main offender goes across the whole coin.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Torey said:

Why?
    If the coin is in an auction it's up to the buyer/bidder to LOOK AT THE COIN
    I don't think it's up to the auction house to judge the coin, only list it for auction.
    Buyer beware!
    JMO

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@Torey said:

Why?
    I don't think it's up to the auction house to judge the coin, only list it for auction.
    Buyer beware!
    JMO

Seriously? So it is ok for a dealer to just slip this by and sell it to some sorry fool as well? The coin is clearly damaged and does not merit its current Mint State grade. It needs sent back to PCGS, not sold to the highest bidder.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

So.. is there a cert number or GC sale attached to this coin? I need proof to believe this coin straight graded. I see it is a GC photo so there must be a sale for it.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show the coin in the holder, both obverse and reverse.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2024 6:22PM

Irregardless it is unacceptable to me. A case in point one needs to look at the coin! Are people even bidding on it?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@MICHAELDIXON said:

I dont have holder pics, just the GTG pic from mycollect.

• Options

@alaura22 while it probably isn't the responsibility of the auction house to do something about coins like this, it would be nice to know that they would. Peace of mind when buying is something that everyone should have.

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

@MICHAELDIXON said:

I dont have holder pics, just the GTG pic from mycollect.

From the picture, I question whether the coin is actually in a TPG holder.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@Torey said:

Why?
    Buyer beware!
    JMO

I couldn't agree more. The market should decide if a coin is "market acceptable," unless the damage is egregious.

• Options

I take that back. 3 scratches on the reverse.

• Options

@1madman WOW even a CAC sticker on it.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that coin on guess the grade over at MyCollect also. I figured it would at last been net graded down to AU because of that scratch and I got it wrong.

Mr_Spud

• Options

There has to be a reasonable explanation for this coin getting a straight grade AND a CAC sticker.
    I am perplexed as to what it could be

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

Are you guys sure it is a staple scratch as it seems impossible CAC would pass the coin especially a gold coin with such an obvious mark. Rather PCGS and CAC. Must be another explanation

• Options

@Walkerlover Look at the GC slab pics. You can zoom in on them. At least 3 scratches on the reverse.

• Options
    edited February 19, 2024 7:10PM

@124Spider said:

@alaura22 said:

@Torey said:

Why?
    Buyer beware!
    JMO

I couldn't agree more. The market should decide if a coin is "market acceptable," unless the damage is egregious.

There is no end to that mindset.
    Mechanical label error? Let it bid and the market decide!
    Tooled? Let it bid and the market decide!
    Counterfeit TPG holders? Let it bid and the market decide!

When a mistake is caught, it should be addressed.

• Options

I don't know if you're a seasoned veteran or a new collector but
    caveat emptor

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first I thought oh well somebody, didn't do their job, it happens, but then saw pcgs holdered it MS64 and then CAC beaned it. More to this story, I would imagine. Now it pauses me to think that this may be a replacement coin for the real coin, as it is not even a serious coin for the collector. Might be easy to make a grand doing it. Just doesn't seem feasible for both graders to miss this most obvious error. Hopefully Ian will see this and investigate the holder to insure it correct.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking thru a dealer's silver dollars this past weekend, low and behold a colorful toned NGC * star with a huge scratch on reverse. Not noted, and given a star designation, obviously missed.

• Options

Jim
    The coin sold already
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1520379/1932-Indian-Gold-Eagle-PCGS-MS-64-CAC-Green
    But you do make a great point about the coin was taken out of a holder and replaced with that one.
    I can't think of any other way that that coin could be graded and stickered

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, it didn't go cheap either. Tears will fall at the eye doctor's.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 626 ✭✭✭✭

If you think that the sticker cannot be applied fraudulently then think again. Just as a slab can be produced fruadulently.
    I have to believe that the is a case of both. In fact it is a no brainer imo

• Options

@RobertScotLover said:
    If you think that the sticker cannot be applied fraudulently then think again. Just as a slab can be produced fruadulently.
    I have to believe that the is a case of both. In fact it is a no brainer imo

There is no other rational explanation
    Now, how do we prove it?

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Jimnight said:

Two

@OAKSTAR said:
    I take that back. 3 scratches on the reverse.

There certainly are a few, but that long rim to rim, that would drive me mad to buy it and then see it. I hope no one gets deceived.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

It also sold at Stacks
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-11GTWK/1932-indian-eagle-ms-64-pcgs-cac

PCGS and CAC got this one wrong. There's also a pretty decent scratch across the denomination.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

But so far we’ve only seen a part of the ( clearly scratched) reverse!

Now, just for some hypothetical fun:

What if the obverse of this $10 Indian should just happen to look like a nice ‘A’ grade MS67?

1.What would it be worth then, commercially, or to you personally, if it ‘details’ graded for being damaged?

1. How about if it graded MS65?

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options

@Typekat said:
    But so far we’ve only seen a part of the ( clearly scratched) reverse!

Now, just for some hypothetical fun:

What if the obverse of this $10 Indian should just happen to look like a nice ‘A’ grade MS67?

1.What would it be worth then, commercially, or to you personally, if it ‘details’ graded for being damaged?

1. How about if it graded MS65?

How about melt?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file