Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

63 years in Numismatics.

goldengolden Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid, my grandparents lived next door to us. Our parents worked, so if my sister or I were sick our grandparents kept us for the day. One day in February 1961 I got sick, so I had to stay home from school and stay with my grandparents. My mother was a schoolteacher and she felt guilty having to go to school and leaving me. On the way home she stopped at a store (probably Woolworths) and bought me a 35 cent blue Whitman Lincoln Cent folder. I was immediately hooked.

I have traveled all over the lower 48 states attending coin shows. I have been to dozens of National Parks, Battlefields, Historic Monuments and other scenic sites. I probably would not have been to a lot of these places if it were not for that blue Whitman folder. I have greatly enjoyed the ride.

Post your favorite coin.

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2024 2:38PM

Wow really nice coins. The Dream Team for sure. Really like the 1907 $2.50 gold coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

No pictures but same start 3 years behind you. For my 8th birthday ( May of 64 ) my late father bought me the Blue Whitman folder 41-64 which I still have. Priceless.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great life story @golden and what a great thread...a gallery of super hits!!!! One question for > @FrankH said:

Cleaned REPEATEDLY with ....dry.... baking soda. :o

How do you clean with dry baking soda?? What does that do to the surface??? I've never heard of this method...

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    How do you clean with dry baking soda?? What does that do to the surface??? I've never heard of this method...

People used to take some baking soda and add a little water to create a paste. They would then rub that paste on the surface of a coin with their thumb in a circular motion. The coin would get a bright shiny burnished look that would be considered as being harshly cleaned. Try it with some pocket change that has no numismatic value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

70 years here. I think I ruined everything in my Whitman folders and spent everything when I wised up. Still, I wish I had kept those folders. I've sold my collections each time I needed money, the fist time to buy a car, the second time to pay off the IRS, the last time to take the family to Hawaii for our 50th anniversary. Once again I'm collecting in earnest, but likely my kids will make the final sale. I do wish I had kept most of the coins I sold, but no regrets really. Wonderful hobby of a lifetime.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Great life story @golden and what a great thread...a gallery of super hits!!!! One question for > @FrankH said:

Cleaned REPEATEDLY with ....dry.... baking soda. :o

The same Readers Digest said to use the baking soda.
    So for years..... I did.
    Whenever it would turn green in the glass chicken official coin storage container

I'd just take it out and rub the dry baking soda into it. HARD !!!

That's why the 53 grade surprised (and delighted) me.

I still wonder how nice it would have been without the abuse. :D

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2024 9:14AM

It's been 50 years for me. My journey began in 1974, when my dad gave me a huge plastic bank full of silver that he had pulled from circulation, since before I was born. It contained Roosevelts, Washingtons, Walkers, Franklins and Kennedys. He gave me Whitman folders to put them in. He also bought both he and I a GSA 1882 CC Morgan that same year. They cost a whopping $15 each, back then!! :o;) I sold the silver, in 2011, when it hit $50/ounce, but I will ALWAYS keep the GSA. He and I still attend shows together and talk about coins from time to time. I owe it all to my Dad for encouraging me and igniting my PASSION!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2024 9:29AM

I got a hornes jewelry box with an XF 1809 half cent in it and a blue Whitman 19th century type album for Christmas in ‘94

Man I wish I still had that 1809!!!

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

On my 8th birthday my aunt let me pick out a coin from her pull string bag of coins. Pulled out a indian head penny.
    67 years later still going :)

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stories everyone, keep it up. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file