Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is a dumb thing you ever heard a coin dealer say?

13»

Comments

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once had a dealer offer 30% back of Greysheet for everything in my shop (including all gold and silver).
    I thought that was beyond dumb. Then one day when I went into his shop, and the first question was " Do you have any weapons ?" . I said: "Yes". He looked up at me, curiously and I responded with : "My tongue. Please don't make me use it".

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON said:
    Dealer: "That coin, my friend, can be pedigreed back to Thomas Jefferson."
    Me: "Wow! Can I see the paperwork?" :D
    Dealer: "Get the $%#@ away from my table!"

If it's a 1792 Half Disme without the die rust you could...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Buy the best that you can afford."

When many of the items that you collect are unique or nearly so, this does not apply at all.

That statement has to be qualified with "provided there is a choice" and "provided that the price for higher quality isn't excessive." Rarely is this the case with obsolete currency or certain other specialized areas of numismatics.

"Bad breath is better than no breath" is the more appropriate quote that I've seen attributed to John Hickman, late auctioneer of national banknotes.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

“You shouldn’t buy any of my overpriced inventory. The guy across the aisle will offer you much better deals”.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

@fluffy155 said:
    I was looking to free up some cash and brought a selection of XF-AU PCGS bust coins to a local dealer, with a greysheet of about $9500. Was offered $1300. "Early US type isn't really in demand at the moment." This was 2018 which was a quieter market, but I still don't know what he was thinking with an offer like that.

I can imagine exactly what he was thinking, frankly. :-1:

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fluffy155 said:
    I was looking to free up some cash and brought a selection of XF-AU PCGS bust coins to a local dealer, with a greysheet of about $9500. Was offered $1300. "Early US type isn't really in demand at the moment." This was 2018 which was a quieter market, but I still don't know what he was thinking with an offer like that.

Obnoxious, lowball offers seem to have no floor, anymore. They prey on the unsuspecting, the desperate and the uneducated.

“Nice try, scumbag... I’ll take my business elsewhere.” would’ve been my response. 😡

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2024 10:04AM

When I was a kid I wanted a dealer to hold a coin for me. It was just for a couple weeks until I could cash two paychecks. He insisted on a cash down payment of half the price, and I told him I didn't have that cash at that time. He represented that's just how things are done. I suggested, we'll do things different. He got nasty, insulting, even, and we didn't. Months later, my buddies told me, that coin was still sitting there. And he lost me as a customer.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I have a BRitish Tudor set. I have collected studied these for awhile.

A very well known Dealer had a Henry the vii (7th ) groat he was selling as a Henry the viii (8th) groat.
    More valuable I think he thought. I corrected him, but his hubris would allow him to correct it.
    Former ANA pres. Not all top dealers have knowledge about all coins. Lesson learned.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jughead1893 said:

@BStrauss3 said:

@cmerlo1 said:

@KensCoins2287 said:
    I was at a show and one dealer had prices clearly marked on all his coins, I asked to see something, and told him I’d buy it and he says “ oh no! those prices are what I paid for them” 🙄

There are a couple dealers who set up at Texas shows who do this. Both of them have the coins in flips with the amount written in sharpie. One of them tells you when you sit down that the price on the flip is their cost, the other waits until you're ready to buy. It's annoying either way.

Green price guy. He's been that way for a thousand years AND never remembers anyone, so EVERYONE gets the spieel. If you get up, think about something you saw, and decide to return to look at it 30s later, you get it again.

Been dealing with him at least 30 yr.Every time I walk up its like hes never laid eyes on me. I figured he was just jacking with me,

I know exactly who this is. He mainly does wholesale dealer to dealer at shows, but he does sell to collectors as well. I can see where his pricing system is annoying to collectors.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

An old timer at a small show told me that his 1857 quarter was a rare date.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

It was.....compared to a 1957.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I prefer that YOU send the coin to CAC- they’ve tightened up their standards and you’ll be more successful as a collector than I would be as a dealer- but I’M SURE that coin will sticker.”

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:

@semikeycollector said:

It was.....compared to a 1957.

Now that makes sense!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

God there are some funny ones in here! :D

Reading through I remembered a guy many, many years ago who told me all his prices where his cost. Very rude. I stood and looked at the case for about 20 seconds in silence, scanning the coins.

In a moment of brevity I said, loud enough to be heard, "That's too bad", and walked away.

I think I heard him cussing me.

The dealer across the aisle starting laughing. I think I bought a couple Walkers from the one across the way that day.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Dealers are collectors who have specialities that they know a lot about but have little interest, time or empathy in educating themselves about other coins or currency...And, to be honest, why bother when so many books and web sites are available to collectors and buyers, who I believe have the responsibility to educate themselves. You don't buy a house without an inspection or a car without doing some research...Hey, it's the capitalist economy: Buyer beware!

• Options

But the dumbest thing I've ever heard a dealer say was at a show 25 years ago. I inquired about the very odd, and very dark red coloring on a 1913-D Lincoln, that likely would get at minimum a 65 if not for the questionable color: "Hey, it's still got a lot of meat on it." I replied, "Really, that's your answer?" and walked away. Two hours later, he button-holed me and asked what I would give for the coin, which he had listed at $150...I replied, "You have too much meat on it."

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Once had a dealer offer 30% back of Greysheet for everything in my shop (including all gold and silver).
    I thought that was beyond dumb. Then one day when I went into his shop, and the first question was " Do you have any weapons ?" . I said: "Yes". He looked up at me, curiously and I responded with : "My tongue. Please don't make me use it". > @TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I thought that was beyond dumb. Then one day when I went into his shop, and the first question was " Do you have any weapons ?" . I said: "Yes". He looked up at me, curiously and I responded with : "My tongue. Please don't make me use it".

Was that you 25 years ago at the annual show at the Erie fairgrounds?

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Last weekend I was at a show with a holder of graded surplus coins I wanted to trade. Dealer looks at them, selects two, but we couldn't agree on a price so I put them back in the case. He then says "those are the only two without the VAMs designated on the label". When I inquired why it mattered, he said he didn't VAM to which I responded that a customer might. He didn't care. I never expected that sort of bias to what's on a label.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lose money on every sale, but make up for it in volume . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file