Options

Authentic or no?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2024 12:21AM

@Halfpence said:
    I'm not sure I'd say "good work everyone". At least 10 people claimed (some emphatically) that it was not authentic. Two thought it was genuine. This is a very interesting case study on chat board opinions.

Prior to the reveal, I posted that it was likely genuine, altered surfaces. So I was apparently one of the "two people" who posted "genuine" ? I don't see the other, but no matter.

To the forum's credit, I do have 4 "agrees" and 3 "likes" to my post (not sure when those came in, however).

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's genuine then it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong on these boards, and if I keep posting it definitely won't be the last, either!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts of an old game show title come to mind:"Who Do You Trust".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@Halfpence said:
    I'm not sure I'd say "good work everyone". At least 10 people claimed (some emphatically) that it was not authentic. Two thought it was genuine. This is a very interesting case study on chat board opinions.

Prior to the reveal, I posted that it was likely genuine, altered surfaces. So I was apparently one of the "two people" who posted "genuine" ? I don't see the other, but no matter.

To the forum's credit, I do have 4 "agrees" and 3 "likes" to my post (not sure when those came in, however).

I was the first one and I got 5 agrees so I beat you. What did I win? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sneer and a small can of Snidely Whiplash Mustash Wax

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    A sneer and a small can of Snidely Whiplash Mustash Wax

Dang! Now I have to grow a mustache. :#

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine or fake I wouldn't buy a 25K coin that wasn't certified by a top TPG.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

Honest question: what makes this a $25k coin?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halfpence said:

@gumby1234 said:

It brought approximately that amount several years ago and that’s also the value listed in the PCGS price guide for a straight grade VF30.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited February 3, 2024 9:45AM

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@gumby1234 said:

It brought approximately that amount several years ago and that’s also the value listed in the PCGS price guide for a straight grade VF30.

But this would not straight grade. I get that it sold for that historically, but altered surface coins like this can be found for under $10k. Perhaps the date is rare?

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm leaning heavily to 'no'.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2024 9:49AM

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@gumby1234 said:

But this would not straight grade. I get that it sold for that historically, but altered surface coins like this can be found for under $10k.

Please show me where you saw an 1824 example like this one sell for anywhere close to $10,000.

Here’s another sale of a details-grade example all the way back to 2014 that brought more than $25,000.

1824 $5 -- Obverse Damage -- NGC Details. Unc. BD-1, High R.5. (PCGS# 8132)
    Auction 1204 | Lot 5730 » Half Eagles » Early Half Eagles
    Bid Source: Internet
    1824 CAPPED HEAD LEFT FIVE, UNC DETAILS BD-1, ONLY VARIETY OF THE DATE
    SERVICE
    NGC Details

GRADE
    MS60
    AUCTION ENDED
    Apr 27, 2014

Auction Archives
    Sold For: $29,490.15

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auction ends tomorrow and I was outbid. :)

• Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

Would you buy it for $5101 (current bid w/ 3 hours to go), that is the question.

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

If you have to ask you already knew.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@gumby1234 said:

But this would not straight grade. I get that it sold for that historically, but altered surface coins like this can be found for under $10k.

Please show me where you saw an 1824 example like this one sell for anywhere close to $10,000.

Here’s another sale of a details-grade example all the way back to 2014 that brought more than $25,000.

SERVICE
    NGC Details

GRADE
    MS60
    AUCTION ENDED
    Apr 27, 2014

Auction Archives

No problem. This was pretty close to $10,000.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep an eye out if this coin appears again on Ebay or any major auction services so we can follow the storyline!

Ouch, the seller took a $10k + Ebay fees overall loss on the coin because of his terrible decision to list it raw with goofy garbage photos. Hopefully a lesson well learned.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jacrispies said:
    Keep an eye out if this coin appears again on Ebay or any major auction services so we can follow the storyline!

Ouch, the seller took a $10k + Ebay fees overall loss on the coin because of his terrible decision to list it raw with goofy garbage photos. Hopefully a lesson well learned.

Well considering it's not authentic, I'd say $12.6K for ~1/4oz of the Au is phenomenal. Perhaps a gold sticker can get it up to $15K? LOL

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@jacrispies said:

Well considering it's not authentic, I'd say $12.6K for ~1/4oz of the Au is phenomenal. Perhaps a gold sticker can get it up to $15K? LOL

Did you not pay attention to any of the above where it was determined it is very likely authentic and was once in an authentic holder? THNKS!

Also, what's with the persecution complex re CAC? Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. RGDS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@jacrispies said:

It's authentic although it's been messed with and will not get a straight grade. RGDS!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nysoto said:
    @fathom said:

Cracked out of a holder still means nothing. TPGs make mistakes.

I was going to say there is a possiblity the Heritage coin was a host to the OP, but the more I looked, there are just too many small matching circulation ticks that could not have been transferred to a fake. It is the same coin. I would still want a pic of the edge reeds though.

Some early coins posted here have been deemed by PCGS as authenticity not verifiable. The coin is raw, and until it gets back into a details slab with authenticity guarantee, the value is speculative. Risk/reward in this auction.

I remain on the fence as a "No Decision" without a chance to see it in hand. The possibility that this is a copy of the Heritage (theoretical host) coin is not zero.

As to the marks, 40+ years ago I saw a counterfeit 1909-SVDB that perfectly replicated the flow lines in the date area for that obverse die. If they can copy flow lines, they can copy marks.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@blitzdude said:

@jacrispies said:

Did you not pay attention to any of the above where it was determined it is very likely authentic and was once in an authentic holder? THNKS!

Also, what's with the persecution complex re CAC? Me thinks the lady doth protest too much. RGDS!

OK wow it may have once been in a holder. No doubt about it then it's authentic. :roll

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 6:07PM

@CaptHenway said:

I remain on the fence as a "No Decision" without a chance to see it in hand. The possibility that this is a copy of the Heritage (theoretical host) coin is not zero. As to the marks, 40+ years ago I saw a counterfeit 1909-SVDB that perfectly replicated the flow lines in the date area for that obverse die. If they can copy flow lines, they can copy marks.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. With the number of deceptive counterfeits out there, I would not have confidence to bid without inspecting the coin. Again, I would like to see a good photo of the edge.

It would be great to get @burfle23 opinion on this.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@lermish said:

@blitzdude said:

@jacrispies said:

OK wow it may have once been in a holder. No doubt about it then it's authentic. :roll

Reading comprehension much? I said "very likely" as seems to be the case. You definitively determined it as unauthentic without seeing it and against a fair amount of evidence because... you're just spouting off as usual? THKS!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@Nysoto said:
    @fathom said:

Cracked out of a holder still means nothing. TPGs make mistakes.

I was going to say there is a possiblity the Heritage coin was a host to the OP, but the more I looked, there are just too many small matching circulation ticks that could not have been transferred to a fake. It is the same coin. I would still want a pic of the edge reeds though.

Some early coins posted here have been deemed by PCGS as authenticity not verifiable. The coin is raw, and until it gets back into a details slab with authenticity guarantee, the value is speculative. Risk/reward in this auction.

I remain on the fence as a "No Decision" without a chance to see it in hand. The possibility that this is a copy of the Heritage (theoretical host) coin is not zero.

As to the marks, 40+ years ago I saw a counterfeit 1909-SVDB that perfectly replicated the flow lines in the date area for that obverse die. If they can copy flow lines, they can copy marks.

TD

While I generally agree, it's hard to imagine they got all the marks right but not the date.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2024 9:11AM

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@gumby1234 said:

SERVICE
    NGC Details

GRADE
    MS60
    AUCTION ENDED
    Apr 27, 2014

Auction Archives

That’s the subject coin, correct?
    If so, I was asking about previously auctioned examples.

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

This coin is genuine. The breads fit the genuine design. this particularity, never was perfect copy by the fakers.

The date it is MPD miss placed date.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    edited February 9, 2024 10:25PM

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@gumby1234 said:

SERVICE
    NGC Details

GRADE
    MS60
    AUCTION ENDED
    Apr 27, 2014

Auction Archives

It doesn't matter. The sale price represents current market value for such a coin. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@gumby1234 said:

SERVICE
    NGC Details

GRADE
    MS60
    AUCTION ENDED
    Apr 27, 2014

Auction Archives

It doesn't matter. The sale price represents current market value for such a coin. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

An auction record is not the “market value”. It’s just a data point.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@gumby1234 said:

SERVICE
    NGC Details

GRADE
    MS60
    AUCTION ENDED
    Apr 27, 2014

Auction Archives

That’s just silly. It’s the only data point that matters for that coin.

• Options

@Halfpence said:

@MrEureka said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@gumby1234 said:

SERVICE
    NGC Details

GRADE
    MS60
    AUCTION ENDED
    Apr 27, 2014

Auction Archives

That’s just silly. It’s the only very recent data point for that particular example, out of a major TPG holder. And that’s not the same thing as the only data point that matters.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MrEureka said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@MFeld said:

@Halfpence said:

@gumby1234 said:

SERVICE
    NGC Details

GRADE
    MS60
    AUCTION ENDED
    Apr 27, 2014

Auction Archives

That’s just silly. It’s the only very recent data point for that particular example, out of a major TPG holder. And that’s not the same thing as the only data point that matters.

You're not going to win this.

I agree with @Halfpence. This proves that the market value of an uncertified coin with horrible photos that make it look like a details fake sold by an unknown dealer on eBay is $12,600.

Later this weekend, I'm going to demonstrate that the market price for this coin when sold with no pictures by a Yemeni seller with zero feedback is less than $1.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sort of interesting the role the images have in connection with shaping the perception of the coin and this Ebay auction outcome. More questions seemed to be raised than answered. I wonder if the images used in the listing remain a permanent record with the Ebay listing for future reference.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Sort of interesting the role the images have in connection with shaping the perception of the coin and this Ebay auction outcome. More questions seemed to be raised than answered. I wonder if the images used in the listing remain a permanent record with the Ebay listing for future reference.

90 days

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The buyer has over 21000 feedbacks. They should be experienced enough to get it authenticated and likely resell it. That or get their money back.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2024 5:22AM

90 days??

Wow. So a seller can guaranty authenticity; claim the coin in the image is the coin you will receive and assert that the images are his intellectual property which he seems to be under no obligation to preserve as a permanent record of the sale.

That's rich... And fails to pass the straight face test.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2024 8:38AM

Never mind.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file