Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Topps Walter Payton vs. 1986 Topps Jerry Rice

JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I’ve been SLOWLY crossing some cards off my want list and picking up some cards for my PC over the last few years.

I have a chance to buy another big card and I’m going back & forth over a really nice Walter Payton RC or a high end Jerry Rice RC to purchase.

Assuming both cards are really well centered with nice surfaces and color, which would most collectors prefer?

1976 Topps Walter Payton PSA 8
OR
1986 Topps Jerry Rice PSA 8.5

Somewhat similar price points, so I’m curious which card most collectors would prefer to add to their own PC.

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Payton.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweetness. All day long.

• Options
    Bear48Bear48 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Payton

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweetness, yup.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Payton.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭

Payton

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Payton for sure... I'd also look at higher graded SGCs with a similar price point.

• Options
    CWUCAT62CWUCAT62 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Both are great cards, but Payton would be my choice for you.

Andre Dawson Super Collector, who also collects the following-
    *Baseball* HOF autographs, Harold Baines, Pete Rose, Joe Morgan & Seattle Mariners
    *Football* Seattle Seahawks, Kenny Easley, Steve Largent, Jon Kitna, & Brian Bosworth
    YouTube Channel link; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAyO141lGqcV2fEjt723jUQ
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go Rice, more upside maybe

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭

No question. Payton.

• Options

Sir Walter for sure!!!

• Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

Payton. Without checking the pop reports probably in his favor.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭

Love Jerry Rice, but I would also go Payton.

• Options

equal greatness !

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Payton

If Rice was 9 then I'd have to give it serious thought

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Payton. To even ask this question you will
    be denied Secret Handshake privileges. :D

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Jerry Rice has so many more TDs than 2nd place. Walter is not 1st in any category. Get the GOAT.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sentiment favors Walter. Statistics favor Jerry. Tough choice. Buy them both? But if have to choose, ever so slight edge to Jerry with the 1/2 grade edge.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

The kid in me says Payton but the more logical adult in me says Rice.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go with the Payton.

Daniel
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

Aesthetically, Walter has a way prettier card. And wenever I see that "Man of the Year" silhouette on the back of a player's helmet, I get the chills. I don't think there is a wrong choice. I like the advice above - buy both. ;)

• Options

I just love the 76 set. Topps did their best work of the decade for baseball and football with the 76s. Both are my favorites of the 70s.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Payton. Look how constant 1986 wax boxes are for sale. Not drying up in our lifetime I think.
    Payton

• Options

1976 Payton: 12,943 total graded
    PSA 8 Payton: 2,996 (23% of pop)
    PSA 8.5: 148
    PSA 9: 726
    PSA 10: 54

Pop Higher: 928 (7.2% of pop)

1986 Rice: 33,330 total graded
    PSA 8.5: 521 (1.5% of pop)
    PSA 9: 1,083
    PSA 10: 62

Pop Higher: 1,145 (3.4% of pop)

Based on the numbers, the Jerry Rice PSA 8.5 is a tougher high grade. If the percentages were closer, I'd go with the Payton but with only 4.9% of the 1986 Topps Jerry Rice PSA graded cards rated at 8.5 or better, that's my choice.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

From a football nerd point of view, RBs like Payton (Barry and Emmitt) will be rare going forward. The passing game is wide open now, I think the modern WRs may end up eclipsing the stats of Rice and other retired WRs. Based on today's game, I don't see to many modern RBs making a run at the legends.

Mike
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Payton.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Rice is my favorite player ever. Sweetness is my #2. But you gotta go with the Payton.

If it was a Rice 9, I might change my answer.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

Good Lord, the centering on that Payton looks really good. Must be tempting to open...lol

• Options

@UFFDAH said:

wow!! just wow!!

• Options

@PatriotTrading said:

Based on the numbers, the Jerry Rice PSA 8.5 is a tougher high grade. If the percentages were closer, I'd go with the Payton but with only 4.9% of the 1986 Topps Jerry Rice PSA graded cards rated at 8.5 or better, that's my choice.

Nice work. I am statistics kind of guy.

• Options

@handyman said:
    Payton. Look how constant 1986 wax boxes are for sale. Not drying up in our lifetime I think.
    Payton

Good luck! IMHO the 1986 Topps Football is the toughest in all of Football to get grades higher than PSA 8. And getting a pack fresh Rice to grade above a PSA 8 is even harder. Roughly 10 years ago I tried and tried and could not get a single one to grade higher than a PSA 8. I eventually gave up.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:

@PatriotTrading said:

Nice work. I am statistics kind of guy.

I agree with this.

Even though Walter is my GOAT running back, I would rather have the Rice.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@UFFDAH said:

That's one of the coolest racks I've ever seen. Very nice.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:

@UFFDAH said:

That's one of the coolest racks I've ever seen. Very nice.

Coolest, but not the biggest. LOL!!

• Options

@Cakes said:

@handyman said:
    Payton

Good luck! IMHO the 1986 Topps Football is the toughest in all of Football to get grades higher than PSA 8. And getting a pack fresh Rice to grade above a PSA 8 is even harder. Roughly 10 years ago I tried and tried and could not get a single one to grade higher than a PSA 8. I eventually gave up.

I flipped a Bruce smith psa 8 to sgc 9. I didn't see anything wrong with it. Centering perfect, corners looked great. Personally not sure why its not a 10 unless it just can't be.

• Options

@Cakes said:

@handyman said:
    Payton

I just went through 5000 pack fresh 1986 Topps football cards. They are difficult, aside from the basic things to look for like centering, corners and edges, the cardboard quality and print defects abound. Snow and ink smudges are a problem.

• Options

@olb31 said:

@Cakes said:

@handyman said:
    Payton

I flipped a Bruce smith psa 8 to sgc 9. I didn't see anything wrong with it. Centering perfect, corners looked great. Personally not sure why its not a 10 unless it just can't be.

Probably a print smudge of some type. Sometimes I think they hit the cards with cardboard fibers on the back that stand out too much.

• Options

@PatriotTrading said:

@Cakes said:

@handyman said:
    Payton

I just went through 5000 pack fresh 1986 Topps football cards. They are difficult, aside from the basic things to look for like centering, corners and edges, the cardboard quality and print defects abound. Snow and ink smudges are a problem.

Patriot, how many Rice's did you hit out of 5,000? If you decide to get them graded please keep me posted on your grading results.

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2024 7:45AM

@Chicago1976 said:

@UFFDAH said:

Good Lord, the centering on that Payton looks really good. Must be tempting to open...lol

Centering doesn't seem to count for much anymore. Still scratching my head on this freshly graded one.

• Options

The PSA 6 payton looks like a 9 or 10.

• Options

@olb31 said:

Yeah. That is ridiculous. Unless that thing has Rick Leach on the back that should be a 9/10. No question.

• Options

@olb31 said:

At least an 8! I am so glad I haven't subbed in years, that would have killed me!

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2024 1:36PM

(I realize one reason for not both would be finances, and that's understandable. You could always buy one now, though, save up over the course of a year, and then buy the other one, just sayin')

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

From an investment perspective, there would seem to be more upside with Rice at 8.5...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭

@lusterlover said:

@Chicago1976 said:

@UFFDAH said:

Centering doesn't seem to count for much anymore. Still scratching my head on this freshly graded one.

Centering is done by AI and it's a calculable, so that's not the reason.
    Gotta be something else.
    On the front, the are some fisheyes, corner touch, and edge chipping(?), so not a 10.
    The color registration is off with the green and yellow on the 'Walter Payton'.
    (I got dinged on some "perfect" cards I subbed, and I can only think that was the reason)

On the back, is the back corner showing separation?

6 seems pretty harsh. At least a 7 or 8 seems more in line, unless there's a surface issue not apparent.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Payton probably would have been an 8 (PD) with the unfortunate registration issue (yellow/green), but as NQ, that means the 8Q card becomes a 6 NQ (Q's are -2 according to registry scoring). The corner on the back is presumably the reason that it would have been an 8Q as opposed to a 9Q. Maybe it ended up a 6 instead of a 6.5 because the only half-grade that is allowed to have a qualifier is 1.5, and the grading deducted/corrected to NQ after assigning it an 8Q rather than a 9Q not because 8Q more accurately represented it than an 8.5Q, but because 8.5Q is not a thing that exists? All that said, I think it means that I could see the card getting a 0.5 bump if reviewed?

• Options
    yoda100yoda100 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I have both. Being a Bears fan, I'd say go with Payton knowing that you will eventually get Rice. I've always liked the 49ers too going all the way back to John Brodie and Gene Washington. Here are mine.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at a couple of higher graded Payton's on eBay, they had the same color "separation" on his name.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2024 9:50AM

After seeing that Rice 8 does anyone actually own a PSA 9 or 10 Rice rookie? I would guess the PSA 10 is actually a unicorn and not one member on this forum actually owns one.