Home U.S. Coin Forum

Flying Eagle Cents 🦅

Comments

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

@redraider - yes I bought it as a proof. Your SL High Leaves is a STUNNER!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• redraiderredraider Posts: 171 ✭✭✭✭

I think there are more than 10 known of the High Leaves proof. I scoured auctions and Coinfacts and there are certainly more than what we have come up with.

Rnkmeyer has 2 and knows of one other
    Redraider has 2 (one not designated properly)
    Renomedphys has 1

That is 6 known out between the last few posts!

@redraider - renomedphys’ coin was the other one I mentioned being aware of. The approximate 10 count was Rick’s, but I have to acknowledge there might be more. I guess my main point was PCGS OK’d these for inclusion in sets. Nothing on them as it appears the request had never been made before. I’ll enjoy the 1/0 while it lasts!
    Btw, love your “PR-1” above; that one’s special!

Copperindian

Copperindian

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins in here. I still need one.

P.S. on the 1858 SL PR High Leaves: with @redraider’s 2, @ renomedphys’ 1 & my 2, we have 5 known examples. Until more are discovered/known, I think Rick’s “less than 10 known” is accurate (so far).

Copperindian

Copperindian

There are 6 coins pictured on Coinfacts of the SL HL reverse including 2 in an astounding PF66 grade!

The pictures there include the PR63 and PR65 shown in this thread, but neither of the PR64+ coins, nor my one misattributed MS65+ example. This puts it at 9 right there.

I went back and looked at just Heritage Auctions and saw a number more. Some might be resubmissions and some coins have sold more than once. There is a beautiful CAM example too!

I really do think there are at least 15, probably closer to 20 realistically out there that are known right now.

Even more interestingly, when I was looking at past auctions, it looks like PCGS used to designate this. The cert no longer is valid if you look for it, but the label is quite clear as to what the variety was.

@redraider: nice research & analysis! It appears PCGS (unknown reasons) used to place all these under the 2043 ID #. As you know, they didn’t distinguish between LL & SL years ago either. Early grading days have become so much better over time from an accuracy standpoint. With the 63, they created a slot with the unique # they assigned to it. I think that’s why it shows as a 1/0. In their process of labeling the coin, it appears they overlooked past designations, perhaps due to the use of #2043. But 15? From what you found, it seems reasonable to me. Great work!

Copperindian

Copperindian

Thanks @rnkmeyer! I want this to be rarer than it is unfortunately. When I bought my PR64+, I thought it was the 6th known.....then I did my research. A few weeks after I was able to acquire my PF64+, the NGC MS65+ showed up in the same auction as Renomedphys PR65. It was described as "semi proof like".

Do you have pics of your PR64+?

@redraider: I do; I bought it out of Don Kelley’s transit set.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not being a collector of FE Cents, what is the difference between an 1857 FECent and an 1857 FS-401a obverse of 1856? I have tried to compare date size(1856 appears smaller) font, positioning and can't seem to find the difference.
    I know that supposedly the center of the "O" is more squarelike and letters are more blocklike, but I just don't really see it. Are the FS-401a 1857's only PL?
    Thanks,
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Nice!! I finished my 1858 12 piece pattern set with a few of the coins out of Don Kelley's transit set.

@jesbroken said:
    Not being a collector of FE Cents, what is the difference between an 1857 FECent and an 1857 FS-401a obverse of 1856? I have tried to compare date size(1856 appears smaller) font, positioning and can't seem to find the difference.
    I know that supposedly the center of the "O" is more squarelike and letters are more blocklike, but I just don't really see it. Are the FS-401a 1857's only PL?
    Thanks,
    Jim

There are some subtle differences....not a huge difference though.

The main point of differentiation is the lettering, and as you pointed out the lettering in OF is the easiest identifier. There is a fantastic RPD on the S-1 examples and not all are proof like.

This is my MS63 example.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked Flying Eagle Cents. Too bad that they were only made for circulation for two years.

Last but certainly not least is the rare, coveted PR-1. I NEVER thought I would have a chance to own one of these & I owe a big THANKS to the sharp eye of Matt Chapman (@renomedphys) for spotting it sitting unattributed in a dealer’s inventory. Mere technicals “limit” it to a PR62. The marks blend in with the tone, indicated they were made long ago. Followers of these PR’s know the PR-1 is “snakebit” - very few are known & 2 of them were lost out of 12 or so total. This one’s a 2/2 pop.

Btw, the eagle is properly shown as flying upward.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I was going to post my 1857 1C DDO, but I sold it last year. :'(

So, here's a D. Carr version.

Images by @robec

Where can I get one of these?

Doug

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Flying Eagle PR Complete Variety Set

Ken, one of the greatest post and FE collections ever! Ken, you will go down as one of the best ever in this series!

Doug
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2023 8:29PM

@DMWJR said:

@oih82w8 said:
    I was going to post my 1857 1C DDO, but I sold it last year. :'(

So, here's a D. Carr version.

Images by @robec

Where can I get one of these?

These were available last year or two and you may find one on the secondary market. There are a couple on ebay right now.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

1858/7 FE Strong PCGS MS65

Surprisingly, I never posted this previously. But, it’s an important coin to any FE collector & not without a little controversy. As there was disparity between EDS, mid & late die states (& cost to buyers), PCGS set standards a few years ago as to what qualified as a “true” Strong 1858/7. There are examples out there with the “Strong” label before these standards were set that actually wouldn’t qualify today. These coins should have a considerably lower price point and often do.
    To my knowledge, the subject coin is a relatively recent discovery (last 18 months). Rick Snow rates it #3 in his Strong MS65 example list. The distinguishing attributes are the fully formed diamond shaped chip above the first 8 & the also fully formed flag to the right of the top of the second 8. Like all, whether EDS, mid or late due states, the tail feathers are not fully struck. This results in the right hand side lower leaf on the reverse lacking detail. Fortunately, this one’s tail feathers are about as good as one could hope for.
    It’s fortunate for collectors PCGS decided to set these standards; this is a tough date & one must tread carefully.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:

Tied for 6th finest graded at PCGS........... Nice.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

1857 S-11 PCGS MS64+

Incredibly tough variety; this is the second finest known after a MS65. Exceptional eye appeal with nice obv/rev contrast. The digits in the date look like they were scooped out from the obv bottom. Very cool!

Copperindian

Copperindian

Love the S-11

Doug
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost a joke to show this coin -1858 LL - after the beauties posted above. I got this coin in an English auction and was somewhat put off by its appearance. It looks to have been softly struck in parts or perhaps through grease. The wreath is very softly struck but the central eagle design rather sharp and areas of lustre not so evident in these photos; I took some angled shots. Still the coin has a bit of character if technically deficient.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Almost a joke to show this coin -1858 LL - after the beauties posted above. I got this coin in an English auction and was somewhat put off by its appearance. It looks to have been softly struck in parts or perhaps through grease. The wreath is very softly struck but the central eagle design rather sharp and areas of lustre not so evident in these photos; I took some angled shots. Still the coin has a bit of character if technically deficient.

You are spot on about the strike. You should return that coin to the Mint for a refund. I cannot comprehend how the perimeter is so softly struck and the eagle is so well struck. Perfect for a collector of anomaly coins.

Has to be grease

Doug

What a find!

Doug

The good old days…..

When PCGS didn’t grade all 1856 FE’s as PR. CAC bean added after photo taken AND CACG is grading MS 1856’s. Good!

Copperindian

Copperindian

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my 7070

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

1858 SL PCGS MS66
    I believe this is actually a PR - the PR2 die pair. It seems to have all the diagnostics, plus the heavy die striations would qualify it as an EDS. Any opinions are most welcome.

Copperindian

Copperindian

@DMWJR: awesome 1856 Doug!

Copperindian

Copperindian

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    I hope to find one of these in circulation someday. If I did, it would be the oldest coin I have found. :p

My wife received an 1857 Flying Eagle Cent in change at the local J.C. Penney's store back in 1996.

That sure looks like a proof to me.

Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file