Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you use the BST (Buy, Sell & Trade) forum?

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curious how many of the folks that frequent the US Coin forum are also participants over on the BST. Please comment and add context about why and how you use it, if you’re so inclined.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

How do you use the BST (Buy, Sell & Trade) forum?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it BOTH buy and sell, occasionally (a few times a year)

I plan on resuming more offerings on the BST once my work hours go down.
    I’ll also add that the majority of my sales, (and a few buys) with forum members are direct and not posted on the general forum.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't use the BST which is not actually an option.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've offered items for sale more often recently but have made a number of purchases there as well.

Typically I'm selling common coins there at a significant discount to eBay/auction prices. If I buy, similarly I'd be looking for a bargain if a common coin.

I haven't seen any scarce coins that interest me pop up in some time.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I browse occasionally, but rarely if ever buy or sell

I have mixed feelings on some of the sellers and wares offered there.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have grown my collection using the bst and very satisfied. More importantly, I've met some interesting transcontinental people, for sure. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I browse frequently, but rarely if ever buy or sell

I like using it, I've purchased 2 coins from the BST. But in some cases the prices are higher than I can get locally, so I pass. I do like some of the nice coins for sale though.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2023 1:26PM

I tend to buy more than I sell, the BST has been a great resource for me and over the years have bought many really nice/great coins. I can usually find at least one nice collectable coin being offered almost every day, price is the one stopper as of late much of what is offered is offered at retail or better prices. As such I have bought less in the recent years than I did in years past.

There has always been a large percentage of dealers here on the forum, but it seems to me that the number of collectors has fallen and the board has a higher population of flippers, and vest pocket dealers, perhaps that explains what I have noticed over time with respect to the pricing on the BST.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just browse and see what's out there

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2023 2:08PM
    I use it BOTH buy and sell, frequently (1x/month or more)

I sell frequently on it. You can see my listing currently. Often, stuff sells quickly, as I try to price things as close as I can get to wholesale than retail, which I think helps collectors here (I mean shoot, BU morgan dollars at $2 over wholesale, and $8-15 under retail, bargain! :smiley: ). I would argue that I do between 25 and 50K per year on BST, on coins that are typically less than $400 each. Frequently, its coins at the $100-200 level, unless I'm moving gold, big 90% deals, or better date CC dollars, etc. I've got a lot of great connections due to BST, and I'd argue, several good friends as well. And now I know who I can reach out to directly to offer something they might like in advance, rather than having them miss a posting. As for high-end collector coins, when I have offered them, they frequently get the "nice coin" response with little to no action. Therefore, I typically don't offer those much anymore. But every now and again I do...!

When I seen something I want at a good price, I'll also buy it quickly. Every now and again, other folks beat me out to the deal, and that is A OK in my book!

Surf

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used it a few times and hopefully more coins I am looking for show up for sale.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

LOL, oops.

@cheezhed said:
    I have mixed feelings on some of the sellers and wares offered there.

would you care to elaborate? I’m curious

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2023 5:04PM

It's very often the first place I go to sell; if I can sell there 7% back where something would land on GC then it's a win for everybody. Same re: ebay prices. But it's a thin marketplace and sometimes the buyer just isn't there, regardless of advantageous pricing. I've bought plenty of nice coins there too and would again although my wish list now is pretty narrow and specific so it's not all the time that there's anything for me there.

Edited to add -- out of curiosity I went through my records and found that 24 items from my 7070 type set came from the BST, mostly purchased between 2005 and 2014.

mirabela
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

No categorically correct answer for me. I used to both buy and sell frequently on the BST and have nothing but good things to say about those times. It no longer offers coins that interest me and hardly ever even view it now.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2023 7:18PM

I’ve bought some great coins on the BST and sold my fair share without any problems. I think there are a few too many sellers on the BST who have unrealistic prices or there are others who play the make me an offer game.

I know someone on the boards who I sold some very nice coins to and I’d accept a return from him in a heartbeat.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2023 8:16PM
    What’s the BST?

I don't want to give out my address and personal info. Its nothing personal, I live with my parents and they would not support that. Also, I don't like paying shipping. Edit: I do actually know what it is, I've just never looked at it.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

I occasionally look at BST as a potential buyer, but the asking prices seem too high, usually. I have never bought or sold anything there, but have done a lot on eBay.

Vplite99
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Somewhat surprised that you don't at least post your ebay handle on the BST. You would garner more eyes for possible sales there I would think.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

So.....no-one has had problems with how the search format works. I just love getting results that are years old and one time, I tried contacting the seller before realizing the guy might be dead.
    I know how to enter search terms and isolate the forum to search. But entering a date and the time frames it offers, a day or week..... Yeah, I keep trying with an assortment of combinations.....there are no clear posted instructions on how one should proceed. The other option is to search every page and click away and keep scrolling!

Leo 😅

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    So.....no-one has had problems with how the search format works. I just love getting results that are years old and one time, I tried contacting the seller before realizing the guy might be dead.
    I know how to enter search terms and isolate the forum to search. But entering a date and the time frames it offers, a day or week..... Yeah, I keep trying with an assortment of combinations.....there are no clear posted instructions on how one should proceed. The other option is to search every page and click away and keep scrolling!

Leo 😅

Anyone who's actively selling an item probably bumps the thread to make sure it doesn't fall too far behind. My typical BST perusing involves going through the first page, maybe the second, and then I'm caught up. Using the search feature is unlikely to help with anything, being that the search function is poorly refined here, and not everyone lists the coin the title.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sell some gutter metal over there. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2023 7:26AM

@hfjacinto said:
    I like using it, I've purchased 2 coins from the BST. But in some cases the prices are higher than I can get locally, so I pass. I do like some of the nice coins for sale though.

I've never used it but do browse the first few pages fairly often so no category really fits. The above comment by @hfjacinto says it best for me. I have plenty of local sources where I get deals that can't be beat in the BST or most anywhere else on line for that matter.

It does seem to be a good place for many to locate some great items. I'll keep browsing and maybe list some in the future.

Mark

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭

I bought my first BST coin back in 2007 and I'm still going to this day. I've bought way more than I've sold but have sold a handful of raw and slabbed coins as well. Other than 1 instance in the early 2010's where I had concerns with the coin in hand and worked with the seller to return it to them on their dime, I've had an excellent track record with the BST and have added some nice pieces to my collection gradually over time through it.

Bottom line, the BST is always worth checking in, as there are sometimes exceptionally great deals for some killer coins.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been more in "buy" mode for the last year, but I'm going to make a concerted effort to sell more this year...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it ONLY to buy, occasionally (a few times a year)

I check the BST board at least twice a day. I've sold a few items there, but I'm generally just a buyer. I usually pick up a few coins every year. I love the BST.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Somewhat surprised that you don't at least post your ebay handle on the BST. You would garner more eyes for possible sales there I would think.

Fair point. I don't know why I don't. Although long-time users here know it. Others occasionally ask what it is.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Fair point. I don't know why I don't. Although long-time users here know it. Others occasionally ask what it is.

If you wish I would appreciate it,via pm if you desire, to peruse your wares.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have sold some coins on the BST over the years. With the exception of one buyer choosing to return the coins I sold him all sales were completed and the transactions went smoothly.

I have never bought a coin on the BST, yet.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive transactions over the years, no complaints.... B)

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭

Many years ago I made a few purchases but nothing for nearly a decade or so.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like using the BST for buying and selling, more selling than buying, just not that many gold dollars for sale. However it does get frustrating with some peoples comments.

For example, I listed this coin a couple years ago, with the following description:

This is a nice clean and lustrous civil war era gold dollar.
    Never been to CAC and likely will sticker.
    $599 shipped.

I received this comment as a post. not a PM. "Tell me, is an unreadable C in America a common thing with this year or was this one just beat up at that particular spot??"

BTW, no one on the forum bought it, and I did submit and receive a CAC sticker. It later sold for $1275 on ebay.

liefgold
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I check out the BST every day but mostly I put my Wanted To Buy posts.
    I've had many WTB posts and very rarely do I get anybody to respond, sometimes I wonder if "anybody" is watching!
    Some of the coins are diffecult coins but not rare in any way

• Options

@liefgold said:

I really like using the BST for buying and selling, more selling than buying, just not that many gold dollars for sale. However it does get frustrating with some peoples comments.

For example, I listed this coin a couple years ago, with the following description:

This is a nice clean and lustrous civil war era gold dollar.
    Never been to CAC and likely will sticker.
    $599 shipped.

I received this comment as a post. not a PM. "Tell me, is an unreadable C in America a common thing with this year or was this one just beat up at that particular spot??"

BTW, no one on the forum bought it, and I did submit and receive a CAC sticker. It later sold for $1275 on ebay.

To be fair, the photo does look like it could be a ding on the C.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@jmlanzaf said:

everythingvaluable (more comics than coins at the moment, but some nice paper money)

Inexpensivetrifles (really cheap stuff)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2023 9:24PM
    I use it BOTH buy and sell, frequently (1x/month or more)

Had some good deals there both sides of the ball. One local guy (on sell side) became a regular buyer / investor client. Another near me, became partners on an estate deal which panned out real nice.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found it too hard to find anything I would be interested in buying

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@jmlanzaf said:

everythingvaluable (more comics than coins at the moment, but some nice paper money)

Inexpensivetrifles (really cheap stuff)

Those comics bring back memories. Some nice issues. Mom threw them out along with the 60's baseball cards. An oft repeated dilemma. That's why the value in the survivors today.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

The BST is a great resource, but I use the BST the same way as how porcupines make love---very carefully! If I don't know you as an active and long-time forum member, I won't buy your coin unless I can pay for it after I receive it and examine it. Caveat emptor.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 476 ✭✭✭

I have used it sparingly for many years. I have had some good transactions. Unfortunately, you run into a lot of wannabe dealers who tire kick and lowball offers. In the future, I will likely use it to buy but not so much for selling.

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used BST successfully many times over the last several years and have made some friends along the way due to similar interests !! win win.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best thing that ever happened for Great Collections. :)

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it ONLY to sell, occasionally (a few times a year)

Oops, I picked the wrong one and don’t know how to fix it. I meant to pick “I use it to buy a couple times a year. Sorry about that

Mr_Spud

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    Oops, I picked the wrong one and don’t know how to fix it. I meant to pick “I use it to buy a couple times a year. Sorry about that

Fixed it for you. B) I use it only to sell and have had really good luck selling old coins. I price them pretty cheap and they sell fast.

Moderns sell only irregularly on the BST.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use it ONLY to sell, occasionally (a few times a year)

@cladking said:

@Mr_Spud said:

Fixed it for you. B) I use it only to sell and have had really good luck selling old coins. I price them pretty cheap and they sell fast.

Thanks 😊

Mr_Spud

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file