Home U.S. Coin Forum

2023 in review, share your favorite purchase of the year

2»

Comments

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Some_of_it said:
    Rotated reverse 1989-D Congress dollar for only double what a non-error would cost.

How were you able to get it so cheap ?

The Red Book lists a value in MS-67 of $1,800 for the rotated-die version.
    The normal version in the same grade is listed at $29.

• Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Dan, Someone listed it as buy it now and I honestly did not think it would arrive. It did. I have all the commem dollars in PCGS MS69 or MS70 (except the MCAulliffe) so finding the error to add to the set makes me feel better about spending on a set I’ll never break even on. Fun to build though.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rays said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    This was a banner year for new additions and it’s tough to pick only one, but this is the coin I pull out of the safe to admire most often.

Highly desirable coin in highly desirable grade with highly desirable original toning.

An incredibly beautiful piece my coin brother. Congratulations on such a great addition to your collection. Very beautiful.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

Ljenkins. I think your 51-O is my favorite purchase of the year and it isn't even my coin. lol James

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great additions, all. Can we keep this going til New Year?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@renomedphys
    I really love that chain cent! You should be very proud to own it

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Less than two weeks until we say goodbye to 2023. It's always fun to reflect on our individual purchases as a forum. So please post your favorite addition this year and provide a little commentary.
    I'll begin:
    My purchases have largely been scaled back in recent years. Mainly because the coin market has outpaced my earnings, and it's just really hard to add new material to my core collection at this stage of the game. The following is a happy exception:
    Guttag Brothers Rare Coins Storecard. Gold. 29.6 mm. ex. Virgil Brand

I had to pay up for this intriguing piece, but as they say "find another." The Guttag Bros. were stock brokers and rare coin dealers that operated in New York City in the 1920s, a kind of forerunner to Stacks. They issued storecards struck by the Medallic Art Company in a variety of different metals, most commonly bronze. This one is in 14k gold and extremely rare as such. To my knowledge, it is unique.
    I've always been attracted to this beautiful design and the meaning behind it. Two allegorical figures relating to the hobby we all love. A child is seated studying his coin in a somewhat trance-like fascination, while a nude woman holds the lamp of knowledge over an open book.
    The late Frank Kraus "Broadstruck" shared this fascination with the Guttag Bros. storecards and had a near complete collection of them. He was just missing the gold, which he considered unobtainable. Sadly, it appeared for sale after his untimely passing. This one will always remind me of him.

Wonderful acquisition @DCW! I'm glad you were able to pick up such a rare and beautiful piece!

It's too bad that @Broadstruck wasn't able to see it surface. Can you share who had it beforehand? I was wondering Frank new where it was all this time?

• Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    I’ve already shared my #1, but I’ll share some other very honorable mentions to keep the thread going.

Simply Awesome Dan!

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sigh - only the US Mint poop

@Zoins said:

Wonderful acquisition @DCW! I'm glad you were able to pick up such a rare and beautiful piece!

It's too bad that @Broadstruck wasn't able to see it surface. Can you share who had it beforehand? I was wondering Frank new where it was all this time?

Will start another thread soon with some info.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    I’ve already shared my #1, but I’ll share some other very honorable mentions to keep the thread going.

Simply Awesome Dan!

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a new one.

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Posted my #1 a few days ago, but proud to include this one in the interests of keeping the thread going:

Absolutely fantastic pattern! Love the obverse look with just the flying eagle by itself. Wow! Well done!

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the most expensive of them for 2023 for me, but a considerable rarity and important to me early dollar set.

1798 BB-103 / B-18 - only 5 known. This should be the Willasch specimen, now with my provenance too. This is the early die state. Doubt I will be able to get the later state as well.

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably this one.

If not,

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file