Home U.S. Coin Forum

2023 in review, share your favorite purchase of the year

DCWDCW Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less than two weeks until we say goodbye to 2023. It's always fun to reflect on our individual purchases as a forum. So please post your favorite addition this year and provide a little commentary.
I'll begin:
My purchases have largely been scaled back in recent years. Mainly because the coin market has outpaced my earnings, and it's just really hard to add new material to my core collection at this stage of the game. The following is a happy exception:
Guttag Brothers Rare Coins Storecard. Gold. 29.6 mm. ex. Virgil Brand

I had to pay up for this intriguing piece, but as they say "find another." The Guttag Bros. were stock brokers and rare coin dealers that operated in New York City in the 1920s, a kind of forerunner to Stacks. They issued storecards struck by the Medallic Art Company in a variety of different metals, most commonly bronze. This one is in 14k gold and extremely rare as such. To my knowledge, it is unique.
I've always been attracted to this beautiful design and the meaning behind it. Two allegorical figures relating to the hobby we all love. A child is seated studying his coin in a somewhat trance-like fascination, while a nude woman holds the lamp of knowledge over an open book.
The late Frank Kraus "Broadstruck" shared this fascination with the Guttag Bros. storecards and had a near complete collection of them. He was just missing the gold, which he considered unobtainable. Sadly, it appeared for sale after his untimely passing. This one will always remind me of him.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2023 12:16PM

Very nice storecard!

The year is not over and I have my eyes on a few other potential acquisitions.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of very cool additions on 2023 posted so far! I tend to do a top 10 thread each year and am working on that.

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins and way to close the year.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2023 12:11PM

I found a 64 D in the coin star coin return, it was tails up. I'd say maybe ms 63, I was happy
    Note: this was a Kennedy. Sorry for no mention of that

• always a please working with you @winesteven The 1887 $1 is a great coin!

ParadimeCoins.com PCGS NGC CAC InventorySign up for our exclusive NEWPs mailing list - Subscribe

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2023 8:18PM

@mirabela said:
    Wow, some of us sure had a tremendous year. Some really marvelous acquisitions in this thread -- I enjoy these rounds of show and tell. This was a great year in coin collecting for me too. I picked up some new pieces for my core collection that I just love, and defrayed more than two thirds of the cost by moving along some things that didn't fit so well. One of those even made it into this thread already!

If I have to pick just one, I'll go with this one. I worked hard to find the Lafayette dollar that was just right for me.

Good for you that you are one of us who enjoys collecting Classic Silver Commems. What a fascinating series, with great history for each piece, and many DIFFERENT wonderful designs. I think many collectors stay away from this series due to the large price drop from decades ago. However, prices have stabilized several years ago, and have even had some price increases since as well. Now could be a great entry point for this series - not with a goal of huge profits, but for a goal of FUN!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

Good for you that you are one of us who enjoys collecting Classic Silver Commems. What a fascinating series, with great history for each piece, and many DIFFERENT wonderful designs. I think many collectors stay away from this series due to the large price drop from decades ago. However, prices have stabilized several years ago, and have even had some price increases as well. Now could be a great entry point for this series - not with a goal of huge profits, but for a goal of FUN!

Steve

I've made my peace with the reality that some of them interest me while others don't, and I'm very happy with my little group of them. I have an even dozen right now and have owned I think nine other designs in the past. Two of the 18 coins on my long-term watch/want list are classic gold commems, so at some point maybe one or both of those will join the group.

mirabela
  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!!!!!!!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

@split37 said:

In hand, this coin is more fiery than the Trueview suggests. This is my absolute favorite purchase of the year.

Wow! Toned Peace dollars that are actually worthwhile as such are so hard to come by, but that one is just great! Sweet pickup.

mirabela
  • split37split37 Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭

@mirabela said:

Wow! Toned Peace dollars that are actually worthwhile as such are so hard to come by, but that one is just great! Sweet pickup.

Toned Peace Dollars represent almost the entirety of my collection. Thank you for the compliment!

• @split37 said:

In hand, this coin is more fiery than the Trueview suggests. This is my absolute favorite purchase of the year.

Beautiful! Would love to see a photograph of the slab in some natural light when time permits :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file