What is the best humidity to store your coins,,,,

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

at in a safe?
Thanks

GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver and Gold coins it would not matter is my guess. Things like comic books and art are different.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Theoretically, zero humidity would be best. Put your coins in a zip-lock bag or Tupperware type container with a silica gel canister and you should be okay.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Silver and Gold coins it would not matter is my guess.

Especially when gold and silver bars and coins are found after hundreds of years under water (and salt water) on shipwreck. 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

It has a dial where I can set the humidity all the way from 100 down to 0 so I am wondering where is the best place to set it at. Right now it is on 40%.

• Options

Seriously what can humidity do to silver or gold coins? I guess it could affect steel and cooper coins.

• Options

What kind of coins are we talking about here what type of metals?

• Options

All US Coinage Metals,,,,,, I thought humid conditions contribute to spotting on coins such as silver eagles.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Seriously what can humidity do to silver or gold coins? I guess it could affect steel and cooper coins.

These were likely kept in the Philippines for 100+yrs in high humidity. I've seen worse!!!

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    All US Coinage Metals,,,,,, I thought humid conditions contribute to spotting on coins such as silver eagles.

Completely different problem. Those coin have the substance on them ready to go. It will either turn or not….

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2023 12:05AM

I try to keep mine at less than 40% RH, but if I really want to protect them (like for copper coins that are still red or blast white silver coins that you want to stay blast while forever) I put them in mason jars with desiccant and they are typically below 20% or so. These ones are examples I made a while back. I took the picture right after putting them together and the humidity didn’t get a chance to go down completely yet. They took about a day or so to equilibrate down to less than 20%

Mr_Spud

• Options

Sorry. I thought you said best humility?

• Options

@Mr_Spud Love those lids. Was not aware such a thing exists, but am not suprised.

Thanks for linking that article. This was eye-opening; "If you eat a pastrami sandwich over your proof Trade dollar, you're contaminating it. If you have dandruff, you can contaminate it. If you eat chicken wings and then touch a coin, you can permanently ruin its level of preservation. If you talk over a coin, the saliva from your mouth can land on the coin and turn that area black..." Crap. Ok, I'm out.

• Options

Thank-you Mr_Spud that is just the info that I am looking for. Since I am currently set for 40% I will turn it down to 10%,

• Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 475 ✭✭✭

Here is a link for the same question I posted some time ago. I have two dry rods and loads of Silica Gel Desiccant and my safe rarely gets over 40% humidity. My next step is to try the HyLids Mr. Spud is using.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/560666/humidity-expert-needed#latest

• Options

I often thought about doing this with my albums for long-term storage.........minus the meat!! 🤣 😂

But I look at them much to often to do this.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

100%

Dry that is.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2023 6:56PM

It all depends on what you want to happen. >:)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

This works for me

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    It has a dial where I can set the humidity all the way from 100 down to 0 so I am wondering where is the best place to set it at. Right now it is on 40%.

Why not set it to zero? May not want zero, however, if storing fine cigars in the safe with one's coins.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    edited December 18, 2023 10:10PM

@Saam said:
    Here is a link for the same question I posted some time ago. I have two dry rods and loads of Silica Gel Desiccant and my safe rarely gets over 40% humidity. My next step is to try the HyLids Mr. Spud is using.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/560666/humidity-expert-needed#latest

The Hylids are a modern version of what it says in the old Coin Preservation Handbook by Charles Frank. It’s a great book from way back. I like the analog version of the lids, but they are always made in small batches it seems. The reason I like the analog ones is no batteries to burn out. I’m making these as sort of “time capsules” to protect the coins for future generations of coin collectors, probably never going to sell them. But for some reason the digital ones are more often available. I found them first on Amazon, but because often out of stock I also ordered some direct from their website at https://hylids.com/ . Imagine someone finding a horde of these looking brand new 100 years from now.

Heres the excerpts from Charles Franks book . Sorry they are out of order, it messed up when I tried to fix them and I don’t want to risk them them going “poof” which is what happens if I edit too quickly sometimes.

Mr_Spud

• Options

@mr1931S said:

@GRANDAM said:

Why not set it to zero? May not want zero, however, if storing fine cigars in the safe with one's coins.

I am going to use 10%,,,,,, I don't smoke. If I did it would be cheap cigars,,,,,, ;)

• Options
    edited December 21, 2023 5:50AM

@OAKSTAR said:
    I often thought about doing this with my albums for long-term storage.........minus the meat!! 🤣 😂

I did this with several proof sets, ones in hard plastic cases, and after about 10 years air had slowly worked its way inside and was no longer “sucked in” around the coins so I ended up putting them in unused airtight ammo cases with dessicant. I also want to experiment with displacing the air inside with “Argon” but only got so far as purchasing a few cans of this (see image below) but haven’t had a chance to blanket the contents of the ammo cases yet.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what happens to
    coins that are stored in a humidity controlled environment once they are removed into a normal environment? Would they tarnish ,tone or corrode at an accelerated pace?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I did this with several proof sets, ones in hard plastic cases, and after about 10 years air had slowly worked its way inside and was no longer “sucked in” around the coins so I ended up putting them in unused airtight ammo cases with dessicant. I also want to experiment with displacing the air inside with “Argon” but only got so far as purchasing a few cans of this (see image below) but haven’t had a chance to blanket the contents of the ammo cases yet.

Interesting how the seal would not hold. Like I said; I've never tried it but I have thought about it for long term storage. If I ever do, I will "DOUBLE" vacuum seal it now. Thanks!

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

There are much more dangerous products in the air than moisture from humidity.

Gold is generally safe in any breathable environment. Silver, not so much. Copper is very susceptible to many chemicals (naturally occurring and otherwise).

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

@OAKSTAR said:

I did this with several proof sets, ones in hard plastic cases, and after about 10 years air had slowly worked its way inside and was no longer “sucked in” around the coins so I ended up putting them in unused airtight ammo cases with dessicant. I also want to experiment with displacing the air inside with

@gumby1234 said:
    I wonder what happens to
    coins that are stored in a humidity controlled environment once they are removed into a normal environment? Would they tarnish ,tone or corrode at an accelerated pace?

What I’ve noticed is that if you store at lower humidity, it still forms a very thin slowly growing film on the surface of the coins that actually protects the coins from tarnishing as much.

The opposite happens if you “dip” coins in Tarnex where you completely strip off the “skin” and the unprotected metal tarnishes at an accelerated rate.

Disclaimer- I just do this for research purpose, not to doctor coins to swindle. But would be better for “dippers” to store in low humidity for a while and not to send off for grading right away or increased probability of “turning bad” in the holder can occur.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shamika said:
    There are much more dangerous products in the air than moisture from humidity.

Gold is generally safe in any breathable environment. Silver, not so much. Copper is very susceptible to many chemicals (naturally occurring and otherwise).

A potential preventative measure: Intercept.

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I try to keep mine at less than 40% RH, but if I really want to protect them (like for copper coins that are still red or blast white silver coins that you want to stay blast while forever) I put them in mason jars with desiccant and they are typically below 20% or so. These ones are examples I made a while back. I took the picture right after putting them together and the humidity didn’t get a chance to go down completely yet. They took about a day or so to equilibrate down to less than 20%

Mr. Spud I respect your expertise on this subject and the conservation professionals you quoted in this article you posted for us.

However I differ with you on the amount of protection you think is necessary to preserve your coins from deteriorating. I for one put my slabbed coins in coin protector sleeves to cut off most of the atmospheric moisture and contaminants. Than I put the coins in a wooden chest container.

I want to enjoy my coins without taking cumbersome extreme measures, and my coins including copper have fared quite well. Many copper coins exist today with full blazing red even though they were not stored in todays modern TPG slabs and under less than ideal conditions

• Options
    edited December 22, 2023 4:58AM

@Walkerlover said:

Mr. Spud I respect your expertise on this subject and the conservation professionals you quoted in this article you posted for us.

However I differ with you on the amount of protection you think is necessary to preserve your coins from deteriorating. I for one put my slabbed coins in coin protector sleeves to cut off most of the atmospheric moisture and contaminants. Than I put the coins in a wooden chest container.

I want to enjoy my coins without taking cumbersome extreme measures, and my coins including copper have fared quite well. Many copper coins exist today with full blazing red even though they were not stored in todays modern TPG slabs and under less than ideal conditions

Yes, I agree with you. I enjoy doing this to the extreme and going beyond what is necessary. It’s like a side hobby of mine that I find rewarding/enjoyable. It’s an extension of what I do for my career. Here’s a picture of part of my lab at work. I’m the V.P. of R&D at a company that makes Soft Gelatin Capsules. Those glass jars contain saturated salt solutions that equilibrate to different humidities. Soft gelatin capsules equilibrate to different relative humidities and, depending on which/how much plasticizers you use you can control the hardness and softness that the capsules equilibrate to prevent brittleness at low humidities and clumping/stickiness at high humidities (glycerine, sorbitol, etc. are what plasticize gelatin to make it soft)

Mr_Spud

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Down low but not on the down low

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use dessicant in my safe. 3 actually. The aluminum skinned 2" X 3" that you " reenergize " in the oven. I do mine every 3 months. After I read this thread, ordered a small dehumidifier. Should be here in a week. All my 1600+ slabs are stored in Intercept boxes. I think I'll order a hygrometer just to see where I'm at.

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭

@Tom147 said:
    I use dessicant in my safe. 3 actually. The aluminum skinned 2" X 3" that you " reenergize " in the oven. I do mine every 3 months. After I read this thread, ordered a small dehumidifier. Should be here in a week. All my 1600+ slabs are stored in Intercept boxes. I think I'll order a hygrometer just to see where I'm at.

Your coins will last centuries lol😊

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    at in a safe?
    Thanks

Arizona

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file