Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Humidity expert needed!

SaamSaam Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
Please help! I live in east Texas and my coins are kept in a fireproof safe. The humidity is always over 30% and I can't get it down although I have two dry rods going! I also tried silica, but it does not work either. Surely there is someone out there that has found a solution to this problem. The big coin companies have to have this figured out by now. What is the secret?

Comments

• Options
    Option A = Put a dehumidifier in the room the safe is in.
    Option B = Move to California!
  • Options
    You deal with alot of the same problems as many of us. Welcome to the forums. As a side where in East Texas? Now to your question you might try keeping your house at a different tempature. Humidity might be high in places, but if you keep your house at the right levels it will help inside.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome. Storing it in a room with AC may help.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Please help! I live in east Texas and my coins are kept in a fireproof safe. >>

Get them out of that safe. Fire safes are not for storing coins. They are destructive as they naturally, as you are learning, build up humidity inside them. They are also useless against burglars. Many can be simply taken away and any of them can be trivially penetrated with simple tools and things around your house.

I almost don't believe this post is serious. The fact that the safe was qualified as fireproof kind of hints at just a trolling of the forum. If not, just get them out of that box. Even East Texas isn't as bad as a fire safe. In more normal storage, an open cottage cheese cotainer (or similar cup) half full of Damp Rid (Home Depot and many stores sell that dessicant) and changed when it is saturated with water should help out a lot.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Baby diapers absord quite a bit of water.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. Since I can't move to California and I already have "AC" in my house, I will try putting a dehumidifier in the room for now. If I should not be using a fireproof safe for storage, what type of safe should I use?
  • Options
    I don't agree about not using a Fireproof safe. That part about trapping in the moisture? The moisture is coming from the outside remember? Anyway, go to Fort Knox Safes they are the best.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck of a problem...Are you keeping the coins for the long haul? If so then
    I suggest you send them to me here in Las Vegas.....I'll keep them safe and
    dry.....I promise.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I once worked in a Government Materials Science program for over 10 years. Much of my time was spent in the Navy Aircraft Corrosion Control Program and I, to this day, consider myself very much an expert in corrosion control.

IDEAL conditions for the storage of almost any item is between 25% and 40% relative humidity. Keeping metals in a vacuum would be ideal but not usually practical.

As long as you don't exceed 40% RH I wouldn't worry a lot however as a custodian of aircraft we did frequent inspections on them to check for corrosion. I'd recommend the same with your coins. Even putting coins under PERFECT storage conditions and not inspecting them frequently is pretty much just asking for trouble.
    Some RH is good. A lot isn't necessarily bad. Much has to happen for corrosion to occur and the simple act of keeping coins in decent storage conditions should do it.

Buy some humidity indicators which cost about a buck apiece. They generally have 4 circles on them indicating 20.40,60 and 80% RH. They'll change colors when exposed to the amount of humidity present.

Next time you go to the museum look in the corner of the display box and many times you'll see a glass of water. What's the water for? To bring the humidity up.

Some humidity good.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Yes, welcome too. AC is naturally dehumidifying. (I know that in the construction of my wine cellar as the cooling unit vendors harp on it.)

If you must have coins in your home and they are not low valued, you might consider a well hidden anti-burglary safe. Fire safes and gun safes are very limited in their protections against theft. It really depends on the value of the coins. A TL-rated vault is a high value one. I'd ask your lock and safe guy for recomendations as well as a good location for it. Kepe the fire safe around and fill it with rolls of pennies and nickels. The thieves can waste time with that.

edit>>
    Didn't see the last reply. Next time you go to the museum look in the corner of the display box and many times you'll see a glass of water. What's the water for? To bring the humidity up. Humidity is essential for documents and things like that. An environment that promotes oxidation is not great for coins. Any impurities on the coin's surface, not necessaily salts but lots of things, when in the presence of water can corrode the metal.

Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    I had a friend who stored some Dansco albums and proof sets in a fireproof safe. The Dansco albums grew muildew on them and the coins became a combination of toned/hazed and spotted. The proof sets became severely spotted with the clad coins developing deep pitted spots. I have read that some of the fireproof safes have something in their walls that promotes a temperature difference on the inner and outer surface of the metal walls of the safe which makes them prone to condensation. You can either stop using such a safe or put the coins into sealed containers with dessicant inside of them. Here is a cut and paste of some info I have posted before.

If any of the coins are really valuable you may want to consider the following information from the book Coin Preservation Handbook by Charles Frank.
    And familiarity with the info from the paragraph titled other degratative materials from the same book might not hurt. If possible, avoid using those materials and avoid storing those materials in the same container you are storing the coins in. I've taken to storing my better coins in heatsealed Safety Flips or airtites in jars of metal cans with dessicant.
  • Options
    I guess I will have to re-evaluate my plans for storing my coins. I too was planning on buying a fireproof safe for my house. Now I will explore other options. I do need a safe though. Good info here...thanks.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    My understanding is that fireproof safes contain insulation which is intentionally loaded with moisture. The idea is that in a fire, the moisture in the insulation will help keep down the temp inside the safe by converting to steam. So your efforts may be lowering the effectiveness of the fireproof feature. I believe there is a type called a media safe which uses a different type of insulation but is more costly.

But anyway, 30% humidity doesn't sound like a problem.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my silver coins are vaccum sealed. These Buff's have been sealed for years, no leaks, and no spots. A good idea for ASE's which are prone to milk spotting.

imageimage
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This is a function of your house not the gun safe. I don’t put my high value guns in a safe to rust. I’d suggest putting your coins in Tupperware to keep any moisture out that could be in your safe. Your guns should be rusting if you have that issue.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I have a couple of calls in to some safe companies, but no "for sure" answer yet. If I get this figured out I will let everyone know. I really thought some of the big companies would know the answer to this, but I guess they don't want to share! lol image
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image to the Forums, Saam!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    FWIW: I've kept coins both graded and raw in my safe for 20 years it should be no big deal.
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    As most have said, a fire"proof" safe requires a lot of special considerations. You can try to leave the door open as much as possible.
    This will help keep the moisture absorbing elements from becoming too moist. You lose fire resistence though.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I didn't respond to this at first because it asked for an expert and I'm not an expert. Now that I see that hasn't stopped the dissemination of misinformation I'll jump in and add my own two cents.

Relative humidity is the amount of water in the air divided by the amount of water that will be in the air at the dewpoint. The denominator of this fraction goes up with temperature. Thus, if the amount of water in the air is constant, heating the air lowers the humidity and cooling it raises the humidity. In the winter, outside air is low moisture so heating it will cause the inside heated air to be very low humidity.

Cooling air raises the humidity so how does an air conditioner lower humidity? As the air goes through the cooling coils if it goes below the dew point water is taken out of the air (thus you see water running out of air conditioning units) and so when it heats back up to room temperature, the humidity goes down. It may or may not go down below the outside air so air conditioning doesn't always lower the relative humidity.

Putting a dehumidifiier in the vicinity is a good suggestion but heating the inside of the safe is an option often used in gunsafes. If you can keep the temperature inside the safe higher than the temperature outside the safe you're almost guaranteed to lower the humidity. Unfortunately, I'm not sure you could get a wire through the door of a firesafe. These heaters are commeercially available. Some people have used lightbulbs successfully for years but there are many warning of the hazards of using a hot lightbulb and I don't feel qualified to recommend them against the warnings of others.

A depletable moisture absorber should be a great help too. They generally change color letting you know when they are full.

I don't understand the comment that firesafes have a worse humidity problem than other safes. They are generally better sealed so the humidity problem I could postulate would be to close a bunch of warm, humid air up in there and then cool it down. That would be a problem in any safe.

Lastly, some fire safes are also designed as security safes. I believe that fire protection is as important as theft protection so i recommend a combi safe that provides both. I don't recommend keeping extremely expensive coins in the house. If you do, then you become a target of professional theives and they can defeat almost anything. Keep the valuable stuff in a safe deposit box and use the home safe for cheap stuff.

--jerry

• Options
    Since we aren't officially experts, here are a couple of copy and pastes from Conservation experts regarding the topic image

Link
    "According to Susan Maltby, vulnerable metal coins will
    start to corrode when the relative humidity in the
    surrounding air rises above 35 percent. Obviously, then, the
    risk of corrosion is higher in a damp, humid place such as
    Florida than it is in a drier climate -- the kind found in
    Arizona, for example. "

From Link

"Fireproof safes and filing cabinets

Often valuable collections and records are stored in fireproof safes and filing cabinets. These thick-walled storage containers have insulation in their walls to prevent fire from damaging the items housed within.

Two types of insulation are used for these kinds of storage cabinets. One is a dry insulation which gives superior protection, but is higher in cost. The second type of insulation is termed a wet insulation and is generally found in lower priced, consumer safes and filing cabinets.

The most common type of wet insulation is a mixture of Portland cement, Vermiculite, diatomaceous earth, and glass fibers. During manufacture this mixture is poured between the walls of the cabinet and allowed to cure. In the curing process moisture is retained by the Vermiculite particles and the diatomaceous earth. During a fire the heat of the fire turns this moisture into steam, which is generated into the interior space of the filing cabinet or safe.

Unfortunately, often moisture is continually generated by the wet insulation and creates a very high humidity inside the safe or filing cabinet, even without a fire. These types of fireproof safes and filing cabinets continue to cure over long periods of time. In the meantime they may create severe mold problems on the goods stored within the cabinet.

Many people have found that they must leave the drawers open almost continually to prevent excessive moisture buildup inside the cabinet. This practice makes the cabinet useless as a fireproof cabinet and requires continual attention on the part of the staff. The solution to the problem is to purchase fireproof safes and cabinetry that have dry insulation and therefore do not have these problems with moisture release and high humidity."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Link
    "In concordance with Jeanne Eichelberger's experience, a few years
    ago I conducted a CAP survey for a museum which stored records and
    film in fire-proof filing cabinets.

I put my data logger into one of the drawers and went to lunch. When
    the data were downloaded it was clear that the %RH inside those
    particular filing cabinets was approximately 15% higher than the
    ambient conditions.

My recommendation to the museum were substantially the same as Ms.
    Eichelberger's. Open the drawers weekly and leave them open all
    day.

Thompson Conservation Lab.
    7549 N. Fenwick
    Portland, Oregon USA
    503-735-3942 (phone/fax)"

">Does anyone have any experience with the use of fireproof safes for
    >the storage of books? We are working with a collector who keeps
    >most of the valuable items from his 18th century book collection in
    >fireproof safes in his home. The size is about 3 1/2 feet. The
    >concern is about the relative humidity in the safes. Instructions
    >explain that there is water in the walls as part of the fire
    >prevention design. This also causes vaporization. The manufacturer
    >sends desiccant tablets that need to be regularly replaced and
    >advises that books and other valuables be kept in Ziploc bags. We
    >always advise that people not keep books in baggies because of the
    >moisture. Does anyone have information, insights or references
    >that might help us with this question?

My only encounter with this practice strongly indicates that it's
    not a good idea. I once did an onsite preservation survey for a
    historical society in our area, and they kept their most valuable
    leather-bound books in a small fireproof safe. The interior smelled
    distinctly musty when the safe was opened, and there were traces of
    what I assume was mildew on the books. The historical society was
    on the horns of a dilemma in that their collection was housed in a
    lovely Victorian firetrap of a house, with very poor security
    against break-ins and theft, so under the circumstances I could
    understand their justification for using the safe.

I pointed out the environmental problems with the safe and
    recommended that, in the absence of any likelihood that they could
    move the collections to a safer building, they should open the safe
    whenever staff was there to allow the air to circulate. I also
    suggested that they might want to periodically take the books out
    and open them to let them air out for a few hours.

That was the best answer I could come up with for that particular
    situation. Under no circumstances would I suggest that books,
    especially leather-bound books, be sealed in plastic storage bags.
    Like the person who submitted this question, I'd be interested to
    hear others' thoughts on the subject.

Jeanne Eichelberger
    Head of Special Collections and Preservation
    University Libraries
    Binghamton University
    Binghamton, NY 13902-6012
    607-777-4309"

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    ask laura, she's full of hot air.

and welcome

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    As for whether or not air conditioning lowers humidity, here is my experience. We monitor the RH where I work (I'm a Pharmaceutical Scientist). We have products that are moisture sensitive and are easier to manufacture when the humidity is lower so we try to pay attention. The RH tends to be low in the winter and high in the summer here in the Carolinas. The RH tends to be around 50% in the summer indoors with the air conditioner on and goes up to around 60% if it is raining outside (when the RH outside is 100%, the air conditioner acts somewhet as a dehumidifier and can remove some of the moisture and keep it under 65% quite easily but nowhere close to under 35% RH like Susan Maltby recommends). In the winter the RH outside tends to be lower and the RH tends to run at <40% as long as the heat is on. On really cold days the RH can even go down to around 20% RH indoors with the heat on.
  • Options
    Thank you for this post. I just ordered a $1000 safe that was the wrong one, just a fireproof one. Tomorrow morning I am going back to the dealer with lots of questions. Maybe I should keep them in my safety deposit box.
  • Options
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple of gas-tight boxes that I purge with nitrogen a couple times a month. Takes all of a couple minutes to complete the job. Keeps humidity low, oxygen out, and they are lockable.
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    How about ammo containers,pickling jars or maybe tupperware, as I have heard on this forum what if your kids were held hostage? I think your coins should be in a save deposit box $ or at least spread them around so they are not in one place................good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks again to all of you for your input but the problems still exists. Putting the coins in a bank safe deposit box would be no better than having them at my home. The bank has no special equipment to keep the humidity down but they do offer a better security system than most homes. I tried putting large silica containers in the safe but according to the manuafacturer of the dry rod type dehumidifiers I have inside the safe the dehumidifiers can't get rid of moisture that is being retained in the silica inside the safe. Doesn't anybody know of someone with this problem that has figured it out? Saam
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    30%, 30%??? Thirty percent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What is your problem?

Now Elisabergs coins had a problem. In my expert opinion caused by humidity changes, but 30% isn't going to
    harm your coins. If there is a fire or it gets hot where your safe is then you got a problem as a fire proof safe some who how puts out
    more humidity in the warmth.

30%, http://www.trane-dealer.com/dis_50/2905/home.htm
  • Options
    Tried to link you to my website.
  • Options
    The humidity in my safe will get no lower than 35% and that is only in the winter months. In the summer it will get to 60% and that is a problem!
  • Options
    OK in that case. Open the safe or purchase a NON FireProof Safe.
    How is the house humidity in the summer?
    Believe me those fire proof safes are designed to add moisture
    the warmer it gets.
    The swing 60% to 30% is the problem.
    Even at 60% Dehumidify the area the safe is in.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355

<< <i> didn't respond to this at first because it asked for an expert and I'm not an expert. Now that I see that hasn't stopped the dissemination of misinformation I'll jump in and add my own two cents. >>

imagelove it

Out of the safe, dude. Bottom line, if humidity is major concern. If security is, then safe deposit box. If you insist on a safe, gonna have to accept the rest of it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    I am kind of busyand not putting this together too well for you, but I will say this I know little of metalurgy and quite a bit about RH%. Do you have a Sling Psychometer? or a store bought hygrometer? Are you experiencing swings in the RH% ? The swings is what will cause the problem you are trying to avoid. Even at 60% consistant summer RH% you don't have a problem. You will acquire a bigger one in a bank vault. I have seen the effects of wide swings. 35% is NOT a problem neither is 60% stable. Check out that safe I mean it, just do it. IF YOU ARE THAT CONCERNED THEN PLACE THE SAFE SOMEWHERE THAT YOU CAN PLACE A DEHUMIDIFER NEARBY PREFERABLY NOT THE BASEMENT.
    Otherwise give me the city and state you live in and the glazing of your house and the window exposures along with the square footage, roof color etc and I will do a load calc for you and fax it to you and you can get the proper HVAC system for the house and use an old time metal safe without fireproofing. I really don't think you have a problem unless the RH% swings rapidly. Which has many causes. Regards, Michael
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't anybody know of someone with this problem that has figured it out? >>

If you really want to keep using the safe, and control the humidity of the air surrounding the coins at the same time, you can just use airtight containers with silica dessicant in them and put the containers into the safe. See page 1 of this post for details on how to use inexpensive containers to control the humidity of the air surrounding the coins image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file